Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Unknown water line valve- 2005 Classic

Today, while winterizing our 05 classic 30, I noticed that below the three bypass valves at the hot water tank, there is a line running along the length of the trailer and it has a chromed on off valve - similar to the three on/off bypass valves.

No idea what that would be for unless maybe it is a main water shut off on the incoming city water line - I don't know why you would need one though.

I don't believe it is any sort of low point drain as the trailer has two low point drain valves protruding thru the belly pan underneath.

The valve is in the open position and I have never touched it.

Any ideas as to what it is for? Not that easy to trace the pipe to and fro the valve although I could give it a try.

Thought I'd ask here first!

Brian.
__________________

__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
just blindly guessing...

it is the shut off for the external water outlet/fixture,

which is located near the btf and main water connection.

this is easy to check.

assuming that IS what it is, drain the line (external fixture)

then turn the INTERIOR valve off.

if routinely using antifreeze

both valves need to be OPEN till pink flows...

cheers
2air'
__________________

__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
just blindly guessing...

it is the shut off for the external water outlet/fixture,

which is located near the btf and main water connection.

this is easy to check.

assuming that IS what it is, drain the line (external fixture)

then turn the INTERIOR valve off.

if routinely using antifreeze

both valves need to be OPEN till pink flows...

cheers
2air'

Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought so. There is an external valve to get fresh water located in the outside compartment right next to the fresh water hose connection.

When I winterize the trailer, I crack that external valve open until it runs pink then close it.

I'm a bit concerned about winterizing the actual inlet hose connection. I know that there is a check valve in there and with our last trailer, (SOB) I could depress the valve with a screwdriver and get pink stuff fowing out that way too.

With the AS, there is a filter screen in there and it really doesn't seem to want to come out to allow me to depress the one way valve.

It doesn't seem I could get it out without destroying the screen.

For the last two winters I have ignored it (reluctantly) and just made sure I got good flow of pink stuff out of the adjacent hose bib and all has been well - looks like I'll be doing that again this year!


Brian.

(PS - not sure what is "btf?")
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Silver Goose's Avatar
 
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 955
Mystery valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Today, while winterizing our 05 classic 30, I noticed that below the three bypass valves at the hot water tank, there is a line running along the length of the trailer and it has a chromed on off valve - similar to the three on/off bypass valves.

No idea what that would be for unless maybe it is a main water shut off on the incoming city water line - I don't know why you would need one though.

I don't believe it is any sort of low point drain as the trailer has two low point drain valves protruding thru the belly pan underneath.

The valve is in the open position and I have never touched it.

Any ideas as to what it is for? Not that easy to trace the pipe to and fro the valve although I could give it a try.

Thought I'd ask here first!

Brian.
I have a 2008 Classic FB with what appears to be the same valve configuration, except in my case that valve has always been in the closed position and everything works. To clarify this configuration, there is a cold water line that comes up through the floor, crosses below the water heater and then goes back through the floor. From this line there is a tee that feeds the WH with the normal configuration of 3 valves and a bypass pipe. All of that makes sense. It is beyond the tee where this valve is located. In the 27FB configuration, the WH is located under the bath sink on the curbside. The galley is also located on the curbside. The cutoff valve for the exterior water valve is located under the closet on the streetside near the water pump. This valve remains a mystery to me.
__________________
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,399
Images: 5
With this valve open, both city water pressure and on board pump will supply water to the outside faucet, since they are plumbed together behind the faucet/city hookup panel in the outside compartment. With the valve closed, the on board pump water is not allowed to go through the valve nor the brass one way valve.
It's really a screwy set up, IMHO.
__________________
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
I have a 2008 Classic FB with what appears to be the same valve configuration, except in my case that valve has always been in the closed position and everything works. To clarify this configuration, there is a cold water line that comes up through the floor, crosses below the water heater and then goes back through the floor. From this line there is a tee that feeds the WH with the normal configuration of 3 valves and a bypass pipe. All of that makes sense. It is beyond the tee where this valve is located. In the 27FB configuration, the WH is located under the bath sink on the curbside. The galley is also located on the curbside. The cutoff valve for the exterior water valve is located under the closet on the streetside near the water pump. This valve remains a mystery to me.
When I asked Airstream customer support a similar question about a check valve in my trailer, they emailed me a copy of the plumbing drawing.

Try asking them what the valve is.

Regards,

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,399
Images: 5
I see No reason for the brass one way valve...unless its in case you're using city water and then travel to freezing temps and forget to close the shutoff and now are using heated on board fresh water. BUT, if you're dumb enough to forget to shut off the silver valve....you're certainly too dumb to remember to open the outside faucet and let any residual water drain out....it'll freeze anyway.

w7, what did AS tell you?......this otta be good!
__________________
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I see No reason for the brass one way valve...unless its in case you're using city water and then travel to freezing temps and forget to close the shutoff and now are using heated on board fresh water. BUT, if you're dumb enough to forget to shut off the silver valve....you're certainly too dumb to remember to open the outside faucet and let any residual water drain out....it'll freeze anyway.

w7, what did AS tell you?......this otta be good!
Actually they didn't know either.

However when they sent the diagram and I figured out that there was a labeling mistake on it, I was able to see what the check valve does.

It is a check valve in parallel with the exterior faucet shut off valve.

The exterior faucet is connected to the same pipe as the freshwater inlet right next to it. Therefore if the check valve where not present, there would be no fresh water available from the inlet fitting if the exterior faucet shut off valve were closed. The check valve allows outside incoming water to bypass the valve, while keeping water from the trailer's tank from reaching the exterior faucet when the shutoff valve is closed.

Regards,

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,399
Images: 5
W7, that's correct, but I still think it's screwy....see post #7.
__________________
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,399
Images: 5
Those two valves are from the Department of Redundancy Department.
__________________
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
W7, that's correct, but I still think it's screwy....see post #7.
Sorry, I didn't read all of your post 7 the first time.

For my part I am glad it is there.

I leave my shut off valve closed all the time. I have yet to find a need for the outside faucet.

If I am in a RV park with water connection, and it is going to freeze during the night, I simply disconnect the water, open the outside faucet to drain that part of the plumbing, and use the FW tank for the rest of the night. If that check valve were not there I would have to be messing around under the bathroom vanity to turn the shut off valve off and on.

To each his own.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,399
Images: 5
I do use my outside faucet. I got one of those short garden hose pieces, about 6' long and a "trigger" style nozzle. I bungee it to the BR awning strut and I have an outdoor rinse of station. Rolls up and stores in the faucet compartment.
__________________
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 87
There should be 2 shut off valves in the 27fb: one for the toilet (to allow servicing) and one for the outside faucet (to prevent freezing when using the trailer in cold weather). In our 27fb, one of the valves is by the water heater under the lavetory sink and the other valve is under the acess panel in the closet.
__________________
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
...I leave my shut off valve closed all the time. I have yet to find a need for the outside faucet...
exactly.

and that short section of pipe to the outside faucet CAN freeze.

i have used the outside faucet only 4-5 times.

each use was after returning to covered storage from a long trip.

first time the trailer was filthy and covered with salt.

so the fresh tank was used to soap WASH/rinse, detail the stream in the storage lot.

this used up the entire fresh tank (~45 gallons) which need to be drained anyway.

all the other times the outside faucet was used to QUICKLY drain the fresh tank rather than use the nylon drain valve.

the pump/faucet takes about 15-30 minutes to complete what otherwise may take hours.

still it makes good sense to keep that line in the OFF position during the cold months.

cheers
2air'
__________________

__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2005 classic


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.