Old 05-03-2004, 09:22 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I hear that, but I think John's problems are mostly poor QC work that are directly an Airstream labor issue whereas the luxo motorhome has had from what I read mostly 3rd party vendor issues dealt with, which the industry as a whole deals with constantly. In your post Roger, I don't see locks that don't lock, shower doors not installed correctly, floor damages, etc. If there were than I'd feel sorry for the industry as a whole.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Perhaps you still have one other option,,, we are all aware of the new presidents (forget his name) charge that quality control be one of Airstreams highest priority. I would think it would be worth it have a chat with him and get his reaction. One option I would throw out is let me use the trailer as is while a new one is built, then when the new one comes in, they get this one back. I think, then , they could send yours back to the factory for repairs - perhaps sell it as a "second" and still come out Ok on the money part plus, they would make a customer VERY happy.

Ken

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:02 AM   #17
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I hear that, but I think John's problems are mostly poor QC work that are directly an Airstream labor issue whereas the luxo motorhome has had from what I read mostly 3rd party vendor issues dealt with, which the industry as a whole deals with constantly. In your post Roger, I don't see locks that don't lock, shower doors not installed correctly, floor damages, etc. If there were than I'd feel sorry for the industry as a whole.
And you're right, their problems weren't built-in by Newmar... they were supplied by third party manufacturers. Now that I think about this, there's not much of a comparison, is there?

Roger
Old 05-03-2004, 11:47 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Perhaps you still have one other option,,, we are all aware of the new presidents (forget his name) charge that quality control be one of Airstreams highest priority. I would think it would be worth it have a chat with him and get his reaction. One option I would throw out is let me use the trailer as is while a new one is built, then when the new one comes in, they get this one back. I think, then , they could send yours back to the factory for repairs - perhaps sell it as a "second" and still come out Ok on the money part plus, they would make a customer VERY happy.

Ken
You know, when Kimili when through her whole ordeal, the fact is that once the unit is assigned a title, and the documents are signed, it's pretty much a done deal. Airstream in the past has held their end very well in taking care of the customer, but outside of a total failure of the structure, I doubt seriously that they would agree to such a request...then again, if you don't ask right.....

I think what would happen is that Airstream, depending on how bad the floor is, might opt as they have in the past to pickup the coach, gut the inside, replace the floor, replace the insides and ship the unit back. This has been known to happen and might be what actually happens depending on what it looks like.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #19
Craftsman

I feel your pain and after all that waiting and planning this had to be an incredibletdown. I disagree that " as long as Airstream makes it right and corrects the problems under warranty-" you made the right decision. Who pays you to drive 240 miles (one way) to take it back to the dealer for repairs? To allow someone to cut the vinyl out along the cabinets and install new vinyl with molding to cover the edges would be absolutely unacceptable to me. Why are they using vinyl anyway? Photos in the catalog show carpeting. I think at least you should be able to choose between vinyl and carpeting. Vinyl has to be less expensive for Airstream, and in my opinion, no matter how practcial it is, it looks cheap in a coach as expensive as an Airstream. The bottom line is Wade Thompson is cutting costs to increase profits. The article in the March 2004 issue of Forbes states that workers are paid by how many RV's they get out the door each day " not by the hour" and if the plumbers can turn out as many units with one less worker its more money for them. When you start to speed up production with fewer people something has to give and I'll bet dollars to donuts thats what your seeing coming off the line. A high end product shouldn't leave the factory like this to let the purchaser and dealer hash it out after delivery. If you talk quality control that should happen at the factory not after delivery, and then to say isn't Airstream a great company because they come through and fix it, is ridiculous. Except for minor things and maybe a fault in something supplied by one of their vendors it should be taken care of BEFORE it leaves the factory. My wife and I are considering a 34' Classic but the quality control problems give me pause. Who is the quality control person(s) at Airstream? Maybe they should fire them.
Jack
Old 05-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
...... Who is the quality control person(s) at Airstream? Maybe they should fire them.
Jack
Maybe they should hire some.

If we can tear these things apart and restore them in our driveways, they should be able to do fantastic work with crews in a factory/assembly line setting.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:03 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

mill springs , North Carolina
well, it's like this. for that much money i would have gotten my deposit back or picked out another unit after it was "rebuilt"!!! don't get me wrong, i understand that it wasn't the dealers fault on shoddy workmanship. if i was in his shoes i would have somebody or myself clean it up as much as posiable before my customer saw it. and i hope the dealer took pictures of the unit to show airstream. i love airstreams as much if not more than most people and i wish i could afford a new one,but i would not have one in the condtion that this trailer was in. my 77 international looks better and better to me all the time
Old 05-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

QC at Jackson Center

I toured the Airstream factory in mid April and they had more than doubled output since last Fall. I was wondering how they could accomplish this without affecting the quality of the finished product, so I was watching for evidence of poor quality throughout the tour. Actually, the units I saw on the assembly line and in the staging area for the finished units were remarkably well finished, with many precautions taken to keep flooring and upholstery clean and damage free until delivery. The majority of the units going through production that week were International CCDs, especially the 25' model and the 19' Bambis, all of which use the vinyl flooring extensively. There were very few Classics being produced. I remember thinking to myself that despite their best efforts, there was still an expectation for the dealer to perform the fiinal cleaning. I can't believe the Turner's were not all over that unit between the time they received it and the time you arrived to pick it up. They could have done a lot of damage control to minimize your negative reaction.

When I left the factory, I was sure I had to have a new 25' International CCD. Two weeks later I purchased a 2003 30' Classic that is in ubelievably perfect condition. Since I am using mine for business travel, I have spent 22 nights in it so far this month. I am amazed at Airstream's engineering and, based on my unit, the build quality is superb. Based on the loyalty and fanaticism of most of the owner's, I assume that my experience is more typical. Nevertheless, Airstream needs to resolve your problems to preserve and improve their reputation for the next generation of owners. This is a perfect time to establish market share with the baby-boomer generation, but quality is everything. I hope they resolve your issues and learn better how to prevent its reoccurance.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Keith -

Well, I wasn't going to post anything more about the quality issues I'm having with my trailer, but then just as I was just sending an eamil to Zip Dee Inc. regarding what I believe may be a quality issue with one of my window awnings, I got the notification of your post here, so I thought I 'd take the liberty of spouting off some more, because the more I see on my unit the more unhappy I am that I ever wanted to buy an Airstream in the first place.

It's so nice to think that somebody got a trailer worth owning -- I certainly can't say that about mine. I just got back this afternoon from taking some more pictures of my unit where it is storage. I primarily went there to take pictures of the awning to send to Zip Dee (I posted my questions about the awning on the 2004 Quality thread), but I also took pictures of another problem area that I recently spotted --- I seems that either the moulding on the bottom front of my trailer and the screws behind the moulding that go into the trailer -- I don't know their purpose -- are either falling off, or they weren't properly put on in the first place.

Here's a picture I just took of this today. This place is right behind the propane tanks, above the small storage compartment that's there. I'm not sure why I didn't see this when I picked up the trailer at the dealership, but perhaps it came apart during the 275 miles I pulled the trailer coming home from there. -- Thankfully I keep my trailer stored inside, becase I'm concerned that water might get in there and cause a bigger problem -- but now I don't want to even use my trailer for fear of water getting in there until I find out more about this probem.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Flyfisher,
I feel your hurt. What happened was just not right. After getting real up close with problems in original design and workmanship with my coach, I feel that Airstream is riding on a reputation getting thinner with each passing quality issue.
Not to be indelicate, but was your previous SOB a Holiday Rambler?
By the way, fly fishing on the East Branch is a bummer this year for the high flows.
Dick
Old 05-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Keith -

Here's a picture I just took of this today. This place is right behind the propane tanks, above the small storage compartment that's there. I'm not sure why I didn't see this when I picked up the trailer at the dealership,
I had a similar problem on mine only the trim was popped out near the wheel well. I saw this at the time I first saw the Classic on the lot and the dealer corrected it during his pre delivery prep. It probably popped out during travel (either initial delivery or after).

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Dick -
No, my previous 2 SOB's were Sunlines - not nearly as much up front cost as Airstream, and not nearly the inherent beauty, but as far as value vis a vis the investment, they are without peer (well, maybe one or two). Anybody thinking of buying an Airstream would be well served to visit the Sunline plant first, then go to the Airstream plant. (Of course I haven't been to the Airstream plant for almost 2 years, and I understand they've made some changes.) I think it would give one a better sense of why Airstream builds units like the one I just got.

With the high water, I spent a few days on the W.B. on the short stretch above Deposit, and had some really good fishing there. I looked for your Airstream one day several weeks ago at Caucci's, but didn't see you or an Airstream there. As my luck seems to be running this spring, I left my rod next to my truck the last time I was there (2 weeks ago), drove off, and when I returned no more than 10 minutes later it was gone (as were 2 young guys from Binghamton that had also been parked near me). -- Sage rod & Abel reel, in case you hear of one being found.

======
Jack -

Do you know what causes the moulding to separate like that, and is there much risk of water infiltration?

John
Old 05-30-2004, 01:38 PM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Jack -

Do you know what causes the moulding to separate like that, and is there much risk of water infiltration?

John
No not really John. Never had it happen on my '01. I didn't ask why to the dealer and since it was fixed prior to delivery, I didn't really pursue the issue. To me it looked a lot like a spot where an adhesive holds the trim to the aluminum, rather than some physical connection.

Speaking of agony we are going through the fourth day this week of tornado and hail warnings. The central county area of STL took it on the chops with damaging hail early in the week. So far down on the south side of the metro we have had some wind damage in areas. No damaging hail yet.

Right now we are on a tornado watch till 8 PM tonight with also a 2.5" hail size warning. That inside storage site is looking more and more inviting. Its the pits to have to store an aluminum trailer outside in this part of the country.

Once we get past tonight it looks like we will settle down to some normal weather around these parts. Its been weather hell in the upper and lower midwest the last two weeks.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Jack, you're right about the "pits," having an aluminum trailer outside in this Missouri weather. We are glued to the local weather reports and the Weather Channel, and our necks seem to have a permanent crick from looking up at the clouds. I don't know what we could do if hail or tornadic winds strike, but we sure have become weather watchers! We are due within the halaf hour for a battering, I'm afraid--a big long red line approaching us from the west. A warning has just been put out for Osage Beach, just to the southwest of us. All fingers and toes are crossed for everyone in this part of the country!

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 classic