Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Tank Level Indicators -2005 Classic

We have a 2005 Classic (purchased it in the spring of 2005), which we have lived in a total of 6-7 weeks. Previous to that we had a 1986 31' excella which we enjoyed for about 10 years.

We have experienced some minor problems with the classic, most of which have been quickly made right by our dealer. A problem we are experiencing that I don't know if they will be able to fix has to do with tank level indicators.

Our experience is they are not very accurate. We noticed the fresh water tank seemed to indicate empty quite quickly, so we ran a test to see what was happening. The tank dropped from indicating full (having been filled to overflow via a hose) to indicating empty when only 12 gallons had been pumped out of the 54 gallon tank. After the sensor and the panel were replaced, we used water from the tank for a day and a half, and then pumped another 8 gallons from the tank after it had indicated empty.

With my old excella, the tank indicators were not precise (E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F), but they seemed to be linear and reasonable. The new classic indicators, based on my experience thus far, seem to be neither.

Can anyone offer an explanation for my experience, or confirm that I just need to get used to it?

Thanks for your help.

jhdanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have the same year and model trailer and all sensors seem to work well except the fresh water sensor. It keeps indicating full until the tank is almost empty and then finally indicates empty.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Our fresh water indicator works, I think BUT the black (#1) --it's backwords from what we taught our boys--you gotta do 1 or 2-- 1 is grey anyway..the black is really not reliable.

I suspect we have a warsh rag stuck down there. Can you imagine how this was about second watch of the night.
Kistler & Brenda

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
Level Indicators

I have a 2005 30' SO Classic which was manufactured in early 2005. I have also experienced problems with the level indicators.

My original complaint was that the propane levels were very inaccurate. Airstream directed the dealer to change out the entire level indicator unit, which resulted in very inaccurate readings for all levels. Without boring you with all the details of sending unit replacements, several more indicator module replacements, some wiring replacement, etc., they have finally got all the levels indicating reasonably accurate.

I was told by Airstream that if the dealer had known what he was doing, he could likely have "adjusted" the level indicators. Therefore, you might want to insist that your dealer seek factory guidance in correcting the problem.

You are fortunate in only having a few problems with your unit. Mine has been a "nightmare of problems," having been in repair 181 days of the first 11 months of ownership. Currently it is in the Dealer's Service Dept. and is being worked on this week by an Airstream Factory Technician that the factory sent to try to correct some of the problems. I have addressed the specific problems in a "2005 Quality " thread.

Good Luck,
Salt Lake City
tomriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
are you sure you actually put 54 gallons into the fresh tank to begin with?
could it be that a blocked vent tube [ or a stash of contraband in the tank :-) ] is preventing the tank from holding as much as it should?
packlet is offline   Reply With Quote

2005 classic