Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
Roof Vent Sealer - 2005 Classic

What is the best roof sealer to use around the fans, skylights, etc? I've heard the term "self-leveling". Is that the key or is there a particular brand that's best for AS? I'm kind of new to this. This is my first trailer, so I thought I would start with the best. We have a 2005 25' Classic. On our last trip we had a few drips coming out of the light fixture between the Fantastic fan and the skylight after a night of rain. Thanks for the help.
Redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcobra View Post
What is the best roof sealer to use around the fans, skylights, etc? I've heard the term "self-leveling". Is that the key or is there a particular brand that's best for AS? I'm kind of new to this. This is my first trailer, so I thought I would start with the best. We have a 2005 25' Classic. On our last trip we had a few drips coming out of the light fixture between the Fantastic fan and the skylight after a night of rain. Thanks for the help.
"Vulkem sealer" is the superior sealer that Airstream uses, for large seams.

DO NOT ever attempt to use any form of silicone sealer on the exterior.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
As Andy says, Vulkem is a great product, but I prefer SikaFlex 221, which is used on the newer units for large sealing applications. They are both excellent polyurethane sealants, but I find that the SikaFlex is 'stickier' and a little easier to work with.

For roof applications, a thru-roof appliance like a Fantastic Vent should first be bedded in a layer or 2 of butyl tape, than fastened to the roof with stainless steel sheet metal screws. The final touch I use is Dicor 'self-leveling sealer'. A liberal application of Dicor will solve your leak problems around the roof openings, and it is the very same product that Airstream and many OEM RV manufacturers use for sealing roof appliances (other than roof A/C units, which get NO SEALER, as the have their own specialty gasket). Plus, the new Dicor will nicely bond to the old Dicor that is already on your roof.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep the PO used silicone on mine and I strongly dislike him for it... Got to get it all off...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:

We bought a 2005 Classic 30 from a dealer in Ohio last month and towed it home to Ontario.

When I got home I went up on the roof for a looksee before putting the trailer into storage until Feb when we will head to the SW USA with it.

Everything looked good except for a circular plastic capped vent (plumbing vent?) It had a circular flange screwed down and then a heavy sealant applied over. The sealant had cracked open.

I removed the old sealant as best I could then applied Sikaflex 221 that I bought from Jackson Centre when we toured the factory after buying the AS nearby.

I asked at the factory as to recommended sealants for this age trailer and was told Sikaflex for large openings, Acrylic-R for small. Supposedly that is what would have been initially used on our trailer. I bought a supply of both to have on hand.

Brian.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
On my most recent trip to Jackson Center I noticed several of the technicians are using
Bostik 1100 sealer. Also noticed this is now available in the Airstream parts store. Bostick 1100 is readily available via the web for less than $5/tube.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
sealer

Quote:
What is the best roof sealer to use around the fans, skylights, etc?
"Vulkem sealer" is very good stuff but is not a self "self-leveling". It ill be there for long haul. The name has changed to "TremPro Polyurethane"

Here is a link to Vulkem

Vulkem is pretty hard to get off once it drys. It is also gray which being that it is on the roof is not a problem for most people. Airstream uses a white sealer to stay with the white top to reflect heat. Also, I'm not so sure how well it will adhere to sealer that is already up there.

We use Dicor "self-leveling". which is white. It will last a long time and if you need to take it off, it is easyer to get off than Vulkem. When it comes to sky-lights I would plan to get them off. The reason being, sky-lights get stuff like pine resin on them. Cleaners will get the resin off but will smoke the surface, which will further add to the problem. The reason you want a sky-light is to let light in. I would use the Dicor "self-leveling".

Here is a link to Dicor "self-leveling".

Right below is a link to a thread that shows a couple vent covers. One that Inland RV sells that is thick and promises to last a long time. I'm sure it will, and if you use that sky-light Vulkem may work better, I'm not sure. We (ODM) prefer the thin sky-light that is clearer.

Here is a link that shows the two sky-lights.

Like I said, we (ODM) like the sky-light that is thin and even though has to be replaced it is very nice. It lets the light in.

Here is a link to a thread I started about sky-light inspection.

With the upgrade to installing the thin sky-light, the sky-light will last to the time when you would want to replace it anyway.

Ckick here to see a link to how to install the upgrade.

I would use the "self-leveling".

Dan
Old 10-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Dicor also comes in "Dove Grey" for those of us with the "older" models. If I remember correclty, Lewster pointed out in another post that was the sealant used by Airstream on some of the skylights before the fancy white roof models.

I know that the sealant I can can see on vents on the '75 Safari is Dicor and not Vulkem. There may be vulkem underneath... but I'll find out when I get around to installing the Fanastic vents.

Tags
2005 classic