Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Rock Guard failure - 2004 Classic

While driving on I-8 between Tucson and Yuma, I noticed that the street-side rock guard was vibrating. We had come from Las Cruces, NM that morning, and we were headed to San Diego.

Pulled over, and found the guard had come loose. The rivets from the bottom up had sheered and were all coming apart where the piano hinge attaches to the guard. Almost 3/4 of the piano hinge had come loose. So I removed the guard using the screws into the trailer.

The vibration broke the trim piece that runs along the upper edge.

There is no dent or other indication of damage from hitting something. Checked the curb side guard, and the hinge is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will post picture tomorrow.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Never seen it before, but the first thing I took a look at was your tow vehicle. I noticed it's a 2500 pickup. Lots of folks have said the suspension is really stiff which Airstreams they say don't like.

Not saying this is what caused it, but it was the first thing that came to mind.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Pattison , Texas
Rock Guard Failure

Our 2004 30' Classic had the same thing happen. Airstream replaced the short rock guards with the 2006 model rock guards that are much taller. Good thing you didn't end up with damage to your AS. We did.
MikenLora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Gus, We had problems with the rock-guards on the 99 Limited. The Piano hinge was re-rivited countless times.

During a trip, we visited Jackson Center. The service center was aware of this issue and recommended adding a center support at the mid-top guard to body. This fixed our problem for good, very solid. It's how the new Classics w/rock-guards are built.

Any reputable Airstream Dealer can do the upgrade. I know for sure that David Tidmore service Manage for Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford, Texas, has done many of these.

JB
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Had this same issue on our '94 segment protectors, when driving at highway speed in very windy conditions buffeted them to the point of literally ripping the mounts from the sides of the trailer. Adding an additional mount between the two originals, and re-engineering the two originals made a huge difference - very secure now.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Craftsman

My 94 Classic suffers from the same problem.The road side segment protector piano hinge is rivited and they are working loose.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Craftsman

If the suspension is to stiff on a 2500 pick-up, what are you suppose to do soften the ride or connection between the truck and trailer?I think Porky tows their 34'with a Ford F 350. Is this a bad idea?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Rock Guard OR Segment Protectors??

Hello all -

Had a similar experience with SilverToy. When I came here (ASforums) and elsewhere to ask about it, I was told with quite a bit of authority that the part I was refering to - the stainless guards below the beltline - NOT the window coverings, that they were in fact called Segment Protectors.

If you have occation to look at the new trailers, the mounting system for SP's currently employed is quite robust, in comparison to the earlier rubber donut/ turn screw arrangement.

Since I too had first one, then the other Segment Protector come loose during travel (one nearly seperated itself from the hinge also! before I could get over and stop). I have spent some time and effort on discovering a better remount option. Going to a 'current' setup seems to me to be the best option - yes is will require me to make some more holes in SilverToy but the pings and dings on those SP's ( and NOT in the skin!) tell me that they are doing yeomans work.

The factory bracket in question is basically an aluminum U channel with "wings" on the ends of the U which are mounted to the trailer. Then a screw is mounted through the bottom of the U and secures the SP. I picked them up at the factory when I took the tour. Don't have a part number but as I recall they were about $8 a piece, or thereabouts.

Of course, if this discussion was in fact about the Rock guards over the windows, then all my comments are naturally beside the point. Hope this helps.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Segment protectors failures are cause by lack of proper running gear balance and/or super heavy duty suspension on the tow vehicle.

The hinge comes loose as well as the top part of the protector wears a groove into the quarter panels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
If the suspension is to stiff on a 2500 pick-up, what are you suppose to do soften the ride or connection between the truck and trailer?I think Porky tows their 34'with a Ford F 350. Is this a bad idea?
You can use an AirRide Hitch...Porky has a F350 SRW and a 34'...the tongue weight on that 34' will soften up the suspension quite a bit

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think Porky's 34' Classic weighs almost 2000 pounds more than the 30' classic, hopefully he will chime in shortly and let us know for sure. An extra ton of weight will make a big difference in ride stiffness.

Tags
2004 classic