Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
Rear bumper storage tray - 2004 Classic

The rear bumper storage compartment on my 04 Classic sticks out about 1/4" As a result, it collects water every time it rains. It has rusted pretty bad and have had to sand, prep. and paint 2 times in last 1 1/2 years. It is not a problem when I am using the AS but the water is sitting in the tray most of the time it is in storage. Put a few more drain holes in pan but this does not seem to help. Has anybody else had this problem ? Any was to adjust or fix problem?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Rear Bumper Box

I can't speak for the 2004, but on my 1973, I took the revits out along the bumper and placed 1/8" thick nylon washers between the bumper and box floor then replaced the rivets. I leave the trailer slightly higher in the front when parked.

Don
Gunnyusmc
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Since it's an '04 can't you just take it back to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty? Seems like a manufacturing defect that Airstream should have no problem covering under warranty. I have an '03 Classic with same bumper and have had no problems with water ever getting into the rear storage drawer. Even when I wash it and spray the heck out of that area everything remains dry inside the compartment.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
I had a 02 Safari and never had a problem. Must be the way this AS was assembled. Have not had very good experiance with dealers in this area and as a result would rather do myself.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Dealer relations ??

Ed,

Haven't you ever done business with Walt's RV in Ocala?

I've always heard that they are a good service facility. Is this not true?
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Ed,

Haven't you ever done business with Walt's RV in Ocala?

I've always heard that they are a good service facility. Is this not true?
Walt's is good but from what I hear Walt is retiring and will only be working part time. They are a small operation but top notch.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Aaron,

I heard this rumor also ... I was just curious, after seeing Ed's statement about not having good experiences with dealers in his area, if that included Walt's.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Ed -

One side of the rear compartment on my 2004 30' Classic stuck out noticeably from the bumper of the trailer when I purchased it. This was just one of MANY defects in my trailer.

On my first trip back to the factory in June last year that was one of the items I had them fix. I don't know how they did it, but it fits uniformly across and snugly now; although sometimes it doesn't slide in completely, and seems to catch on something until I lift it up a little, and then it slides in fully.

I do remember that one of the service guys that worked on my trailer at the time said that my rear compartment wasn't nearly as bad as some others he had seen!!! (And I thought mine was pretty bad.)

If your trailer was defective from the inception perhaps you can still get it repaired under warranty, or if it is out of warranty I would ask Airstream to authorize a repair under customer or dealer "Policy" or "Goodwill" or whatever they might call it.

John
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
Walt's is one of the best at service for AS in my opinion. Get all my service work done there. He of course does not do warranty work. I just noticed what was causing the water/rust problem after I returned from Walt's and though it was something I could do myself.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
_

. , .
mine collects water as described (05 34) and the lefts side or roller bearing catch on something during closure as flyfisher notes....

i took out the matt and only store hoses, chocks and ohter plastic bits that don't absorb water or block drainage.....

spent a week at jc in august having 50+ items repaired/replaced/adjusted and some how i FORGOT to put this issue on my list.....

looks like it closes well but the design encourages water to enter.....i'm not sure if there is a good solution for this....but i plan to attend the homecoming next year and just started my list of warranty issues for the visit.

thanks for reminding me about this one.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 classic