Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hello guys,

If you decide to add these plates you have to go below and adjust the stops so the slide sits on its rollers and is not tipped due to the thicker stop points. The stops would have to be extended by the 1/16th inch plates. Once i get the trailer out of the shelter I will take some pictures.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I bet your all sick of slide out adjustments.. me too.
Here's my problem. In the quest for perfection i keep screwing with and it goes from better to bad to worse. I am so frustrated. Something must be tweaked.

I removed the lower bezel so I could close the slide and see what the tension is on the adjusters while sitting in place. In a perfect world the slide should just sit in place without any stress on it and line up evenly. It seems like there is another adjustment but I would have to lower the belly pan to see it. No thanks..

Heres where Im at now. I had to remove the teflon stops on the rearward side to get the slide to sit in this "still not correct" position. As soon as I install the stops on the upper edge the slide gap closes up on the forward upper edge. Thinking of milling down those two teflon pieces
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1621.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	86361   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1622.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	86362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1623.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	86363  

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Rapid City , South Dakota
Thanks for the info!

My slide has the same issues you experienced; front is very close but considerable gap in the rear. Have to give it an "umph" when putting the locks inside on the front side as well. I can tell the bolts that hold the long hinged door haven't been opened since it was made either; will definitely lube the gears and give it a birthday too. I can't believe how simple the process is. I plan on doing it this weekend; will definitely let you know how it went. Again, thanks for the info!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thanks for the bump. It reminded me to finish this thread. I had adjusted the slide so it sits perfect when closed without teflon guides installed. The trailer was perfectly level and supported with jacks down. The problem was after driving a few miles (even with the locks in place) the slide would move around and the gap would close at the forward edge. So I went to tap plastics and made a few shims to match the overall dimensions of the upper teflon guide. It was necessary for me to add two thin shims behind the forward upper teflon guide. I also had to mill down the rear teflon guide about 2 millimeters. I used grease on the teflon guides and watched how much was wiped off to determine if there was too much squeeze going on after the modification. Now when closed the slide stays in perfect position and there are no unusual stresses on the slide opening. I can only imagine that things were not quite square from the beginning / not adjusted correctly or slide operated on a regular basis without the jacks down before me. I have been using the trailer regularly since this modification and have no issues with the slide since.

Feel free to call me if you have questions.

Thanks Vinnie

Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I'm not a slide guy, thank goodness, but we mo/ho types have other issues.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I'm not a slide guy, thank goodness, but we mo/ho types have other issues.
That statement could be interpreted many ways Mikey..

Old 10-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Rapid City , South Dakota
I'll admit after reading the posts about the teflon shims I'm a bit gun shy about adjusting them. I did notice today that I have a pretty distinctive rut in the top right (aft) side. I e-mailed tech support and their first two questions were whether the coach was level and the stabilizers were down. I'm awaiting their response. My other issue is the fore (front) side doesn't close flush with the coach. I have to nudge it close with the manual locks once inside. Will keep you posted...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Vinnie,

Crawled under my slide yesterday to make a similar correction, top front tight, top rear had excessive gap. With your pics and write up, got it for now but I'll be watching it.
I referenced on the side gaps, trying to equalize.

Also gave me chance to see what it would take to do a manual operation. Not pleasant, but doable.

Thanks for the write up.

16's are in the cards for early 2014.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Glad it worked out Gary,

Are you getting much wear in the fiberglass from the teflon guides?

Vinnie

Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Vinnie,

I need to take a closer look. I saw a little scuffing but not much. This slide also has power travel clamps to lock it in. Also I can't give an accurate mileage on the chassis so maybe low mileage we've only ran it in SC and NC and hasn't caused as much wear, don't know.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Hi Vinnie and Gary,
I have a 2004 34' lounge slide. Owned the trailer about a year and have no end of trouble with my slide. Same story as yours...too tight in the front top corner and too big of a gap upper rear corner. When I deploy the slide I get a lot of groaning from the seal and the motor labors. I frequently shear pins in the drive mechanism underneath. It has gotten so bad that I carry around a bunch of spare pins with me whenever I travel. Pics look the same as yours...I have the damaged looking metal trim in front and I have sheared 5 rivets. The Airstream dealer up in Austin wont adjust it as he is afraid he will make it worse, lose his reference point and end up chasing his tail trying to get it back on center. I am not afraid to tackle the project but wanted to touch base with you before I start messing with this thing. Any additional advice you might have beyond what is in this thread would be really appreciated ! Thanks !
Dean
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Hi Vinnie,
I have an 01 70th anniversary Classic w/slide. I am experiencing the same alignment situation that you describe. I am not able to do the fix myself and would like to know who might be able to do it ? I live in So. Cal near Palm Springs. Any suggestions ?
Thanks,
Chip
Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Dean and Chip,

The procedure is time consuming but not impossible and in my opinion you can only make things better. The adjustments are pretty logical and very accessable with the slide open. Once you see what it is you are trying to achieve just make small movements on the adjuster and you can usually bring it back in. As you see I added some blocks at the teflon to keep things in alignment while traveling. I could chat with you about it if you want more info.

707-974-7613

Vinnie

Old 01-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Dean,
Chip,

I had some luck with Vinnie's write up and I'm a bit reluctant to teach a skill that I've only done once but I'd like to offer my .02$. I don't know why the slide got out of position a bit knowing why or what would be interesting.

I'm suggesting thinking of the slide compartment much like a kitchen drawer. It moves in and out, supported by the extension slides and we want it centered and positioned correctly and important part, not rubbing hard on any of the seal more than just a balanced wiping action.

Suggestion, with the slide partially extended use your hand to get a feel for the position of the slide compartment vs the wiping seals, just judge the gap and make a note of its position. The sides and top can be seen from the inside pretty well. Now the slightly trickier part, the bottom seal. Got to go under neath and look at the seal to compartment. Is the compartment bearing a bit of weight and rubbing hard, creating additional friction and load on the drive system? Mine was rubbing a bit hard on the bottom rear. As I adjusted it, I had to raise the compartment a bit until I got a reduction in weight applied at that point, the slide stating sliding better.

I did not see the inside wheels of the system, so can't report on that. But with Vinnie's starting point, not to hard to visualize and while I haven't put a season on it yet, I did manage to balance the compartment to body gaps and get it "floating" on the seals rather evenly.

Dean, If you can replace the drive pin, you have the skills to adjust, just take it easy.

Gary

S/OS #001

Tags
2002 classic