Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Marianna , Florida
Problems 30 ft classic slides?

I’m looking at some 30 ft classics with slideouts but I’m concerned about possible issues with the slideout. I’ve read varying reports about problems being related to user error and others that indicated issues with water problems from bad seals.

Can someone with real experience please give me some feedback on what to look for and if I should just ditch the idea of a slide?

I’m also concerned about the weight and how they tow. Please give feedback on that too.

I don’t want to repeat a mistake that I made previously with buying a 1972 international and having to do an unplanned shell-off restoration because of frame problems.
Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
AirStream Slide-Out Trailers

Hi Mellie - Welcome to the forum!

I don't know what you've heard or read but we've got 96 actual AirStream Slide-Out Trailer Owners on the Slide-Out Registry Thread. It's an informal group of Slide-Out Owners banded together in one place for fun, friendship and information sharing.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post2198205

AirStream reported to us that they built 617 Slide-Outs between 2000-2009. Over 500 members here on the forum report owning a Slide-Out. I'd say that's a good representation of ownership for those units.

We have a 2008 30' Classic S/O. I can say that we haven't had problems with the Slide. But like anything sitting outside in the weather uncared for can lead to issues. I consider us to be new owners just purchasing our unit used in 2016. We've got more than six thousand miles on it going up and down the east coast without issue.

Having a slide-out adds weight to your trailer simply because there are all those extra parts that make up the slide. The trade-off is the extra room you get with the slide-out. Our unit gross is 10k. I can say that pulling her down the road anywhere is effortless. No white knuckles or bad rides. AirStream added disc brakes to the S/O's. I've never towed with drum brakes, but I can tell you the disc brakes are solid and powerful. I have complete confidence in the unit traveling down the road.

Absent facts, "rumors" and "I heard" tend to weigh in as fact. Inspect and test the unit as you would any used piece of equipment to determine function. What's the maintenance and use history? Based upon production numbers your looking at used trailers 10-19 years old. Do your homework before you lay down the cash. That will help you avoid surprises later on down the road.

Happy hunting for your trailer!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
True, so often rumors abd opinions become internet facts!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mellie,

Another slide owner here.

Watch Slide operation in and out moves smoothly no what was that noise events.

The Slide has two big seals the big wiper that is attached to the trailer kinds a giant squeegee it should be making a nice firm contact to the slide.

The other is a compression seal on the slide itself. When Slide is out it can be seen. Inspect the compression seal to make sure it’s attached and using a ladder inspect across the top of the slide. I have reattached mine with outdoor grade double faced tape. It works.

Slide mechanism is pretty robust I’ve never seen a pic of a slide removed for repairs.

A good general trailer inspection like any airstream.

They are pretty special and worthy of consideration.

Gary
S/OS#001
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I visited the factory back when they were still making slide outs. The slide out itself is just about the most robust slide out I've seen. The slide itself, the mechanics, the frame and shell supports all were quite impressive having been to another RV builder that built slide outs. It was a night an day different approach compared to the steps Airstream took to build their slide outs. The slide out's that I'm aware of that were made by Airstream were the 30' Classic and a 28' Safari. These have been out on the roads since I think around 2003 or 2004.

If there were issue with them, it would be well documented and I haven't seen anything. I agree that anything is possible over time and with improper operation, but unless the prior owner(s) operated, stored it improperly or did not do typical maint, there could be an issue, but it would be pretty obvious once you tested it out.

I have never had a slide out, but my friends that had them told me that the stabilizer jacks must be deployed before extending and retracting the slide FWIW.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Disc brakes were not fitted on all slideouts. My 9100# 2002 Classic 30 Slide had the same 12x2 electric drum brakes as my 6300# Safari 25 and was IMHO severely under-braked. I converted it to discs for under $1500 and would never go back. I have had no problems with the slideout, except the wiper gasket was detatched in spots and the slide was not adjusted properly when I bought it. After a little research I re-glued the seal and adjusted the slide and it has been trouble free for three years.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Hi Mellie - Welcome to the forum!

I don't know what you've heard or read but we've got 96 actual AirStream Slide-Out Trailer Owners on the Slide-Out Registry Thread. It's an informal group of Slide-Out Owners banded together in one place for fun, friendship and information sharing.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post2198205

AirStream reported to us that they built 617 Slide-Outs between 2000-2009. Over 500 members here on the forum report owning a Slide-Out. I'd say that's a good representation of ownership for those units.

We have a 2008 30' Classic S/O. I can say that we haven't had problems with the Slide. But like anything sitting outside in the weather uncared for can lead to issues. I consider us to be new owners just purchasing our unit used in 2016. We've got more than six thousand miles on it going up and down the east coast without issue.

Having a slide-out adds weight to your trailer simply because there are all those extra parts that make up the slide. The trade-off is the extra room you get with the slide-out. Our unit gross is 10k. I can say that pulling her down the road anywhere is effortless. No white knuckles or bad rides. AirStream added disc brakes to the S/O's. I've never towed with drum brakes, but I can tell you the disc brakes are solid and powerful. I have complete confidence in the unit traveling down the road.

Absent facts, "rumors" and "I heard" tend to weigh in as fact. Inspect and test the unit as you would any used piece of equipment to determine function. What's the maintenance and use history? Based upon production numbers your looking at used trailers 10-19 years old. Do your homework before you lay down the cash. That will help you avoid surprises later on down the road.

Happy hunting for your trailer!

Tom - S/OS #025
We have owned our 2002 Classic 30' Slides since 2010 as the 2nd owner. We have had our slide adjusted once but not because it was giving us trouble, just as a maintenance issue. Most all of the sliders came with a carpet living room and kitchen. We replaced the carpet with light oak and replaced the couch with 2 recliners. We also upgraded the tires to 16" wheels and LT Michelin E rated tires.

I'm still having a hard time believing that over 600 sliders were made from 2001-2009. When I was at the factory, they told me 84. It certainly may be some more than that, but I see no evidence. I talked to Timeless In Denver, and they have never done a slider upgrade. If there were over 600 made, you'd think they would get a few. In any event, the popularity of used sliders is undeniable and their values keep rising.

Once you have one, be prepared for almost every other AS owner will want to see the inside. I wouldn't trade ours for a new one.

Mike Allen
S/OS #06
WB 2074
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Disc brakes are awesome on any trailer but especially on our 2004 30ft Classic S/O. We added them a couple of years after our '04 purchase and are appalled that Airstream doesn't offer this option on the heavier fleet.
Our slide has had problems over the years breaking two bolts in the S/O mechanism. Our servicing company that deals primarily in older Airstreams recently replaced the two bolts with "Unbreakable" hardware. Stay tuned.
We've very carefully looked over the new 30ft Classics and love all the new technology and comfort they offer; however, taking on a $140,000 +/- mortgage at this stage in our camping life did NOT appeal to us.
We love the new, quiet A/C units and wish we had two on our roof along with the twin beds but decided we love our '04 too much to trade. We know how to fix what breaks in the older rig and are not too savy on how we'd deal with a breakdown of the new technology.
Happy trails!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
Our slide has had problems over the years breaking two bolts in the S/O mechanism. Our servicing company that deals primarily in older Airstreams recently replaced the two bolts with "Unbreakable" hardware. Stay tuned....
Happy trails!
The controller for my slideout has an adjustment that will trip like a cicuit breaker if too much current is drawn. If you have the same controller it may not be adjusted properly and could be allowing the motor to put too much torque on the mechanism. I’m not saying that is the problem, but it is a possibility.

I found out about mine when I was cleaning up Airstream’s messy wiring without disconnecting the battery. One of the wires (the power feed of course) came off of its lug and touched another and burned up a resistor in the controller. I had to do some research to find what the burned part was and replace it. That’s how I found out about the adjustment.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
My 35 SOD has been almost trouble free. The mechanism is made by "Power Gear" and is robust. The manual retract system is simple and effective. I had a lightening strike blow my electrical controller and the company sent me an updated replacement. Once, the slide would not work, but recycling the system cured the problem. Airstream said they had seen an intermittent ground on the lock system caused that, and redid both the grounds in the lock boxes on the slide sidewall. Alway level and stabilize the trailer first before deploying. On my 35' I sometimes have to tweak the stabilizers to get the slide out edge clearance even enough to keep the upper roadside corner from not fitting good.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Marianna , Florida
Wonderful feedback! Thanks so much to everyone for the thorough responses. I’ll happily proceed onward with my search now.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Marianna , Florida
Problems 30 ft classic slides?

I forgot to ask if anyone has had any experience with replacing the lower seal on the slide out and if so, about how much does that cost?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Marianna , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	332598
Can someone please tell me what’s going on with this corrosion issue, if it’s a major issue and/or what it will take to repair the problem? Thanks
Old 01-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
I forgot to ask if anyone has had any experience with replacing the lower seal on the slide out and if so, about how much does that cost?
Mellie,

Any chance for a pic to show exactly what you are describing please?

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 01-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Can someone please tell me what’s going on with this corrosion issue, if it’s a major issue and/or what it will take to repair the problem? Thanks
Is that corrosion on a trailer near you in Florida? Could be from salt water fog and wind-driven mist IMO. How old is the AS? I would plan on replacing that water heater, if more than 10 years old IMO.

The rust and corrosion is everywhere, so it is unlikely that a drip from the drain plug caused all that IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Attachment 332598
Looks like the drain plug was leaking and that might be calcium or other water based scum. Drip, drip, drip etc.

Having anyone that is an RV inspector type can examine further. If that was my interest I'd try to clean off the scum crud and pressure test the water system with low pressure compressed air looking for leak down, common inspection.

My hot water heater area ain't the prettiest but it works.

Keep the questions coming you're doing just fine.

Gary
Old 01-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Burleson , Texas
We bought a used 2001 Limited with S/O. I can not figure out why they don't make them any longer. I know what they say but after having two very high quality 5th Wheel RV's with 2 and then 3 slides, I would have a hard time not buying one with a slide. I would also agree that it is the best built slide I have seen.

Ande
kipziprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Marianna , Florida
I don’t have a pic of the seal. Sorry

The unit was stored in San Antonio, TX. It’s is a 2004. About how much would the hot water heater cost to replace? I’m trying to get an idea of the total repair cost going into the deal.

I’m looking to replace the Airstream we were restoring, that became a Hurricane Michael victim on 10-10-18, in addition to our other victim....the beloved 1961 Trailway bus (aka Buster). We got hit hard and lost the present and future RV [emoji22]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	332601Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1230.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	332600
Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Attachment 332598
If the drain plug is removed while the air cushion at the top of the water heater is under pressure. Water will spray everywhere until the pressure is zero.
On top of that the plug looks like it is leaking.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
I don’t have a pic of the seal. Sorry

The unit was stored in San Antonio, TX. It’s is a 2004. About how much would the hot water heater cost to replace? I’m trying to get an idea of the total repair cost going into the deal.

I’m looking to replace the Airstream we were restoring, that became a Hurricane Michael victim on 10-10-18, in addition to our other victim....the beloved 1961 Trailway bus (aka Buster). We got hit hard and lost the present and future RV [emoji22]Attachment 332601Attachment 332600
Dang, that's hard to look at. Sorry

Don't have accurate cost to replace water heater but in no way would it be a deal breaker. It's just another appliance with a life span.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote