Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Echoing others - test the water heater, it may be functional and just ugly. Mine is not that bad now but the first owner didn't use teflon tape on the threads and it leaked slowly creating the same chalky white appearance. It was a Florida unit and only two years old. I cleaned up the exterior area with a small wire brush, sprayed with S100 corrosion protectant, and it has lasted fourteen years.

I doubt Airstream built as many Slideouts as they claimed. One of their long time line workers thought a more accurate number was around 225 over his career. The numbers by model, length, and year Airstream provided didn't include any Safari SO's in my model year (2003) and I know of three so there is room for doubting accuracy. Regardless, they are few and so coveted that I would get more today than I paid.

As for the slide out itself, it is way over engineered and unusually durable. I did perform a minor adjustment on mine once three years ago - all of fifteen minutes. Besides regular cleaning I do twice annual gasket maintenance that consists of wiping the gasket with 303 Protectant and lubricating the gears/runners with Dry PTFE lubricant spray. Otherwise, it has never leaked, failed to work, or encountered another kind of problem in fourteen years and way over 60,000 miles of U.S. exploration.

I would be more concerned about everything else, especially the appliances and possible water leaks from window gaskets: basically, typical trailer issues. Accurate slide out opinions are only valid from Airstream owners with personal experience as opposed to the hearsay rumors about my friend's SOB slide out stories.

As for towing... I have shoe brakes, but the Safaris are considerably lighter (by 1,800 lbs for mine) than the 30 & 34s and my tongue weight is only ~980 lbs. My brakes are barely acceptable compared to the disk equipped units and you should consider this a must have or be prepared to upgrade.
Very good observations and analysis of AS sliders.

S/OS #06
Mike Allen

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Marianna , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
HI Mellie, I had been wonder how you had fared with Michael. Being allmost a neighbor here in Ebro, I knew well how hard your area was hit. And feel for you and all so effected by the storm. It was very surprising how far inland it continued to trash all in its way.

It's really sad to see both of your rigs so damaged. Your Buster looked cool.

Is your house now recovered and livable?

It's nice seeing your forward focus now in the search for a new slide out airstream. All the best to you in your search, hoping a sweet one comes your way soon.

Surely having your story out in the airstream community can't hurt in your quest.

Cheers Richard

Thanks so much, Richard. Michael was still a Cat 4 when it slammed our county - thatís 65 miles inland. Our home and rental property took a bad hit but we canít complain because our homes are livable, unlike so many people we know. As a 5th generation, native ďFlorida Cracker,Ē I would have never in a million years guessed that we could or would be so devastated by a hurricane so far inland.

Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Marianna , Florida
I have more pictures of some areas with corrosion and clear coat peeling that I need feedback on please. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1845.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	332699Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1846.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	332700

The hatches on either side of the tongue have severe corrosion. What are these hatches and should I be alarmed about the corrosion? Can the corrosion be fixed?

Also, the clear coat is peeling. Is that common and can it be fixed?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Marianna , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Echoing others - test the water heater, it may be functional and just ugly. Mine is not that bad now but the first owner didn't use teflon tape on the threads and it leaked slowly creating the same chalky white appearance. It was a Florida unit and only two years old. I cleaned up the exterior area with a small wire brush, sprayed with S100 corrosion protectant, and it has lasted fourteen years.

I doubt Airstream built as many Slideouts as they claimed. One of their long time line workers thought a more accurate number was around 225 over his career. The numbers by model, length, and year Airstream provided didn't include any Safari SO's in my model year (2003) and I know of three so there is room for doubting accuracy. Regardless, they are few and so coveted that I would get more today than I paid.

As for the slide out itself, it is way over engineered and unusually durable. I did perform a minor adjustment on mine once three years ago - all of fifteen minutes. Besides regular cleaning I do twice annual gasket maintenance that consists of wiping the gasket with 303 Protectant and lubricating the gears/runners with Dry PTFE lubricant spray. Otherwise, it has never leaked, failed to work, or encountered another kind of problem in fourteen years and way over 60,000 miles of U.S. exploration.

I would be more concerned about everything else, especially the appliances and possible water leaks from window gaskets: basically, typical trailer issues. Accurate slide out opinions are only valid from Airstream owners with personal experience as opposed to the hearsay rumors about my friend's SOB slide out stories.

As for towing... I have shoe brakes, but the Safaris are considerably lighter (by 1,800 lbs for mine) than the 30 & 34s and my tongue weight is only ~980 lbs. My brakes are barely acceptable compared to the disk equipped units and you should consider this a must have or be prepared to upgrade.

More wonderful feedback. It doesnít have disc brakes but it will if I buy it. Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
I have more pictures of some areas with corrosion and clear coat peeling that I need feedback on please. Attachment 332699Attachment 332700

The hatches on either side of the tongue have severe corrosion. What are these hatches and should I be alarmed about the corrosion? Can the corrosion be fixed?

Also, the clear coat is peeling. Is that common and can it be fixed?

Those are the battery hatches.
Not sure about the corrosion. I suppose it could be battery acid, but that would have to be a pretty careless owner.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #34
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Problems 30 ft classic slides?

Battery boxes and might be from batteries being overcharged cooked and gassing. I have a little of that too on mine. Replaced convertor.

What year trailer are you looking at?

So far if the rest of the trailer looks good the issues presented look fairly minor for trailer made in ????

Disc brakes are fairly rare and possibly someone is assuming drum. Right behind the propane tank cover in the tongue is a hatch, open it. See a box with cable going to it and a cap to add fluid? Thatís the disc brake actuator.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Marianna , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Those are the battery hatches.
Not sure about the corrosion. I suppose it could be battery acid, but that would have to be a pretty careless owner.

Dan

Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Marianna , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Battery boxes and might be from batteries being overcharged cooked and gassing. I have a little of that too on mine. Replaced convertor.

What year trailer are you looking at?

So far if the rest of the trailer looks good the issues presented look fairly minor for trailer made in ????

Disc brakes are fairly rare and possibly someone is assuming drum. Right behind the propane tank cover in the tongue is a hatch, open it. See a box with cable going to it and a cap to add fluid? Thatís the disc brake actuator.

Thanks - itís a 2004. I appreciate the brake information too.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Marianna , Florida
Hi - I have purchased the 30ft slide out based upon the positive responses you all gave me. Now, I have a whole list of other questions.

Do the electric stabilizers also level the trailer or is leveling still a manual process in which I need the leveling squares?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Level, Stabilize, Slide-Out

Quote:
Hi - I have purchased the 30ft slide out based upon the positive responses you all gave me. Now, I have a whole list of other questions.

Do the electric stabilizers also level the trailer or is leveling still a manual process in which I need the leveling squares?
Hi Mellie,

Congratulations on the new to you slide-out!

Level is a manual operation...right & left level first (low side is raised to bring the unit level), front & back second (jack is raised or lowered to establish level). Stabilizers down to support the level configuration you've made, and then once the stabilizers are in place then the slide can be deployed.

Tom - S/OS#-025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Marianna , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Hi Mellie,

Congratulations on the new to you slide-out!

Level is a manual operation...right & left level first (low side is raised to bring the unit level), front & back second (jack is raised or lowered to establish level). Stabilizers down to support the level configuration you've made, and then once the stabilizers are in place then the slide can be deployed.

Tom - S/OS#-025

Thanks so much, Tom. Iím both excited and apprehensive. Iíve never pulled anything this large before. I grew up pulling peanut wagons but Iím afraid this is much larger than they were and way more expensive. LOL

Do I disconnect the tow vehicle prior to or after I deploy the slide-out?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #40
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mellie,

Position trailer.
Do what ever side to side leveling is required, legos, wood ramps etc.
CHOCK
Disconnect from TV.
Level front to back.
Stabilizers down. I run them down just enough to put a bit of a load on them like as soon as I see the slightest trailer lift STOP, that's enough.
Now, check again, and make sure you didn't position close to any solid stuff, posts, trees in the way of deploying slide.
Now, deploy the slide.
It's last out and first in.

Congrats and make sure you visit the Slide Out Society member thread and

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:02 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Quote:
Thanks so much, Tom. Iím both excited and apprehensive. Iíve never pulled anything this large before. I grew up pulling peanut wagons but Iím afraid this is much larger than they were and way more expensive. LOL

Do I disconnect the tow vehicle prior to or after I deploy the slide-out?
Mellie,

Gary S/OS #001 has got you covered in post #40 above...he's done a nice sort of checklist for you.

I'm with Gary now that you're a Slide-Out Owner come on over to the Slide-Out Society and join us: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post2204702

You could be S/OS #098

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
If I'm only staying 1 night and moving on the next day, I do not unhook, nor do I put out the stabilizers. As long as my levels are pretty close, I extend the slide. Obviously if you are staying in one place for a few days or long term, go through the proper process.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote