Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
My '05 30' Classic LEAKS!

First I have a shower leak. It looks like fresh water and it comes from under the front of the shower (under the wood face under the door) after the shower is used. I've sealed the shower door and frame mounting hardware and I've also checked the plumbing for the mixer and connections behind the wall in the closet.

I've also found the trunk area is wet...I think it's the trunk door seal. I also have found moisture on the floor in the bedroom corner on the street side.

Is there a shop in California or the west coast that does the pressurization check of the trailer for leaks? I'm pretty sure that's where I need to start for the shell leaks. I think a GOOD shop will be my best bet for the shower but I don't know of any in Sacramento. I've emailed Toscano RV (where I bought it) but I haven't heard back.

I've got to say I'm disappointed....almost feel like trading it in.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Discovering a leak is never fun...and I can't really help you with finding someone in that area to give you a helping hand, but I can say that leaks happen, even in newer rigs, so try not to loose heart. Once you figure out where the leak is it can be dealt with.

We discovered a leak in our 06 Bambi right after we got it (new), so we know how you feel...water was dripping from the TV antenna crank. It wasn't the TV antenna that was leaking (the obvious culprit)...it took us a couple of tries but finally discovered that there was a screw under the solar panel on the exterior that had not been properly sealed. Water was entering there and traveling in the path of least resistance...to the TV antenna crank. No problems since.

Hang in there.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
_

. , .
they all leak somewhere, sometime.

hiya mike,

OUTSIDE....

UNLESS you've been in a LOT of rain and have a mystery TOPSIDE leak, skip the pressure testing for now.

instead, get a ladder and go LOOK topside for dried/cracked/loose sealant around ANY opening.

check the tank vents, skylight, windows and so on...

on an 05 any sealant failures should be obvious, up there.

the BELTLINE trim right over the rear bumper can also let in standing water (several threads on that issue)

it's very easy to check the UNDER bed/garage hatch door gasket for fit and easy to snug up the turn latches.
_________

inside....

turn ON the shower with the wand placed on the floor of the shower pan and stay OUT of the shower, door closed...

IF water is coming from UNDER the shower pan in that condition, it could be the pan/drain, or mixer value or pipe fittings TO the mixer...

and ALL of the plumbing runs along the wheel well that is UNDER the shower seat...

so unfortunately IF that's where the leak it, the shower stall will need to come out (not likely but possible) ...

unless the pan drain is OBVIOUSLY the source or the pipes leading UP to the mixer valve (accessed under the sink)

often times shops will just start sealing things (plugging holes) till they find the right spot...

water migrates, so it's hard to know if ALL of those wet spots are from ONE source moving around or multiple things.

under the LAV (remove drawers, access panel and everything UNDER the sink) are MOST of the elbows, joints and back flow valves...

so that's a common place to find plumbing drips and a LOT is accessible there (if you are a monkey sized guy) ...

many of those pex fittings are HAND tightened and need a twist or 2 occasionally.

if you are not the most handy fella, or new to RV'n it might be best to simply take the unit to a REAL a/s dealer and let them solve this .

the charge will be MOSTLY hourly labor rate but mystery water coming from somewhere INSIDE is not to be ignored.

and they aren't gonna be able to solve this via email, there are just too many possibilities...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
How about turning on the shower with the end of the wand in a 5 gallon bucket. Turn on just the cold first and fill the bucket while looking for leaks. No leaks the cold water feed is fine. Now do the same with the hot. If no leaks yet, remove the bucket and run the shower wand into the bottom of the shower to test the shower drain. If still no leaks the water is splashing onto the sides of the shower and getting to the floor. Hope this helps.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Hi Mike,

Village RV in Roseville does the Sealtech 430r pressure test. I have no idea how much some thing like that cost. It's a pain in the butt. I've been dealing with one around the window. Good luck with the leak

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 classic