Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Unhappy Hemi-Powered Ram 1500 versus 30' Classic

My father just purchased a 2005 AS 30' Classic and a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 (yeah, it's got the Hemi). Question is: Airstream's Web site says a fully loaded 30' Classic can top 10,000 lbs. Dodge's Web site says this particular truck can yank around 8,700 lbs.

Here's what I think:

Airstream's gross weight rating is the maximum figure, and I told my dad that he probably wouldn't put 2,500 lbs worth of cargo, clothes, fluids and vacation items within the trailer.

Second, because the Airstream is slightly aerodynamic, I told my father that that would increase his truck's ability to tow by 2,000 lbs or so... many trucks can tow heavier loads than advertised if towing a boat, for instance, due to the reduced drag.

Third, with that Hemi engine, he'd have to tow up a severe incline all the way to Myrtle Beach in order to overheat it and cause a major breakdown. (Hmm... when he was little he walked uphill to school, both ways, in the desert heat... so maybe this IS a problem!

What can you guys tell me? What do you think?

Thanks in advance!!

(NOTE: REPOSTED DUE TO POSSIBLE WEB ERROR... SORRY FOR THE DUPE)
LittleRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
LittleRadio,

Did he get the new disc brakes on the trailer? I'd be more worried about how fast he could stop than how aeorodynamic the trailer is.

Your 2000 lb 'bonus' might be true if the trailer were in front of the truck, but with the trailer behind the truck the benefit is a lot less, due to turbulance off the truck.

You have at best 1800 lbs load capacity. That included the total weight of dad and anything he puts in the truck. GCWR for the Ram is 14,000 lbs. Your dad's dry weight is already 12,164 lbs.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Question

Personally I think he going to be under trucked by quite a bit. Those new classics are heavy. My PERSONAL opinon is to get a truck that is rated to tow the GVW of the trailer, that way there are no questions or liability involved. If you get in an accident and are overloaded in any way shape or form you open yourself up for contributory negilence. That being said...I do tow my lighter weight vintage unit with a F150 with the smaller V-8(BTW it is a hemi too ) but I also am well aware of my weights and limitations...I won't tow in the mountains with it, the tanks are always empty and I keep an eye on what my wife loads in it

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
I tow a 30' classic with a 2500 Quad cab w/HEMI. I ordered the towing package which has the transmission cooler, larger electrical and a welded on receiver. I also went with the two wheel drive w/posi-traction instead of 4wd. This gave more GVW and towing capability. I have changed the air intake system to the K&M.

Anything less, I would be concerned about the life expectancy of the transmission, the strength of the receiver and trucks ability to support the weight. Broken suspension is bad thing coming down a mountain.

If the 1500 has the large 20" tires, that is another problem. If the trailer pushes on these tires in turn coming down a mountain or under breaking, they can come off the rim. They are not recommended for towing.

Good luck
dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Is it enough truck for that much trailer, maybe not. Maybe cancel the truck order, and if he wants to stay with Dodge, he should/could get the 3/4 ton with the Hemi or the CTD.

The 1/2 ton pickup with that TT would probably not be too much fun in hilly terrain .
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ford Excusrsion Diesel

What about using an Excursion with the Diesel?
2005 Ford Excursion Diesel
brud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Atlanta , Georgia
Just thought I would let you know my experiences.

I have a 1500 Ram/Hemi Quad Cab 4x4 and a 28ft International CCD(7300lbs dry). I personally would not tow anything larger. I am probably pretty close to the limits of the truck when the trailer is loaded. If I could, I would get a 3/4 ton with the CTD. I stick with shorter trips(gas mileage is not too good towing!!!lol)

I currently have a reese wt dist hitch with friction type sway control and dispise the friction sway control. Also, I don't like my reese brake controller. I think it is the Electronic "ramp" style. I guess these low end products are what you can expect when dealers are paying for them(and you are a newbie).

I dont think I could stop any more weight with my truck.

I have also added a K&N air filter to help with mileage and a hypertech programmer for power. If you want a Hemi, I would go with the 3/4 ton because of the larger brakes and better gear ratios. It has power, but I don't like the "hunting" for gears on hills.

I would seriously reconsider this combo if possible. Best of luck!! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer.

Scott
addisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with most of what's already been said here, you will clearly be under trucked with a 1500, hemi or not, you are breathing air that 3/4 ton (2500) breathes. In reality, the Classic will most likely not use all of its NCC, however, just the base and hitch weight alone you're already at or beyond what you list for the trucks tow rating, not taking any cargo, people or fuel added to the equation.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I'm an RV salesman. I represent the largest Airstream dealership in my state. I tell people what will and won't tow what every day. I wouldn't advise towing that trailer with that truck. Get the 2500 with the Cummins. Then you can pull it sideways, upside down or any other way...and get good fuel economy at the same time! My dealership wouldn't even let you take delivery unless you signed an affidavit saying you were advised that your truck shouldn't be towing the trailer. Your brakes and transmission are what's going to suffer the most. Dodge is notorious for transmission problems. Good Luck!

Ben
Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:33 AM   #10
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Unhappy Hmm...

Ok... so I'm not sure what all you guys are saying. (Phhhbt!). Seriously, it sounds like it'd be better if my father had gotten the Ram 2500 Cummins. I agree. But that truck would've increased his monthly payment by more than $300!

It sounds like most of the comments I've read have to do with concern over the longevity of the 1500's tranny and brakes... not to sound too cold, but those are simply "wear items" when you're leasing a new truck.

The 1500 may have slightly smaller braking surfaces and lower capacity springs, but it's essentially the same truck. Are your concerns really merited? (I guess we'll find out, because he picked up his truck yesterday, picks up his Classic on Friday, and heads out into Northern Michigan for test weekend this Saturday).

BTW, I did send him my Prodigy brake controller. He asked why this unit was better than the low-end unit the dealer wanted to install and all I could tell him was "I dunno... it's digital?" Anyone else know why? I bought it because of all the info I read on this site (thanks, Airstreamforums.com!).

I'll be sure to report back on how everything went.

Tony
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The Cummins was not the ONLY option that would have made it more safe.

Brakes are a normal wear and tear item, but the trans isn't a normal wear and tear item, or at least I don't consider that a normal wear and tear item. The combo you have, I wouldn't do, though I did try a simialr feat, it was not the best idea I've ever had...... In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do. I think most here would agree, it's clearly not the best choice and that your truck is clearly overloaded. If your trans burns up on a vacation (not to mention that the lower end Dogde trannies do self destruct more than Ford and Chevy as has been pointed out already), sure it would be covered under warranty, but you will have lost the remainder of or a good chunk of your vacation.

Will it move the coach? Sure. Seem good on the flatlands? Most likely. Would I do a Rocky Mountain trip with it or to an area with grades? Most likely not.

As for the Prodigy, I have two, great units. Very smooth braking compared to the "cheaper" units. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. But I am unsure if it will work if your new Airstream has the new disc brakes...others might know though........
Old 04-14-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Also with the 3:55 rear end that truck comes standard with means if he does try to pull up hills, he's going to be moving about 35 or 40mph. Mostly I agree with Silvertwinkie about everything he said. It'll pull it but I wouldn't do it.

The Dude.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I think what most are agreeing on here is that it's more of a safety concern for your father and those on the road around him. Excessive wear on an engine & tranny are secondary. That big of a trailer will be wagging the dog on quick stops & maneuvers, which we all have to be prepared for. When I moved to a 28' CCD I sold my Chevy Suburban 1500 & got a Suburban 2500, 3/4 ton.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, this is not a hit directed toward anyone here, any one particular type truck, etc. However, one can clearly break down this type of subject in to three camps:

1) Those who white knuckled it, learned, moved up and on, have been there, done that, wrote the book and refuse to return (I've finally done this and now understand what folks that have been there were talking about).

2) Those that listened and did the right thing from the start and never white knuckled it. (These folks were ususally good at math, geometry and physics too).

3) Those who still need to learn for themselves what a differnce a proper tow vehicle can do (like I did).

Ben (The Dude) prob saw me pull into his dealership with my Impala SS with the Bambi in tow that I traded for a 25' Safari SS. I had fully planned on leaving with our 25' Safari from there with it too and did take that combo around last summer to the tune of 3000 miles (approx). Now that I've upgraded to the 3/4 ton Suburban, I still am amazed what a night and day difference it is, even though the Impala SS (as I modified it) had equal to greater horsepower and torque as my current 6.0L Suburban.

I suspect that I won't be feeling as if I drove 24 hours straight anymore after a simple 6 hour drive.

Live and learn.

P.S.- Dude, tell Jerry that I'm still waiting for that $50 referral he promised me when Jonathan aka:crazylev bought his 19' CCD from him based on my referral.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I showed him your message and he just laughed. He's tighter than bark on a tree. =)
Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brud
What about using an Excursion with the Diesel?
The Ford Excursion is based on the F-250 Superduty platform (3/4 ton), so it would be fine. Especially with a 6.0 PSD
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadude
I showed him your message and he just laughed. He's tighter than bark on a tree. =)
LOL!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

F-150 and an 2001 Excella 30ft

Not to add confusion to this line of thought but my wife and I pull a 30ft Excella (7160 dry weight) with our F-150, 5.4 L, 3.55 axle rating and 16inch wheels and though it is sometimes a strain we have found that keeping our speed both up hill and down to around 55mph our travels have been quite satisfactory.
We pulled from Michigan to the west coast through Reno and Lake Tahoe, up the California coast to Oregon, along the Columbia River and back along I-94:I-90 through Idaho, Montana and the midwest. Over 7000 miles in all and without the hair raising events many people describe. I think the major cause of accidents is speed; my data shows that travelers will hook their tow vehicle to a rig and never change their driving habits.
Having said all this, when we upgrade to a new truck (we owned the F-150 before we purchased the AS) it will be a diesel and a 3/4 ton. But then we have plans to travel to Mexico, Alaska and all over the US; retirement plans not with standing.
RTaylor
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #19
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Post Good feedback...

Thanks everyone. All things being equal, I'm (and my father is) solidly in the "get the biggest truck you can" camp.

But money is an object, and he's already spent my inheritence on the AS... so he's making do with the Ram 1500.

Up until I read that last post about the F-150 5.4L and the AS, I was feeling pretty worried. But I think I agree... all things being equal, if you drive safely, the Ram 1500 is capable and quite safe.

I have been passing along all of your concerns and thoughts to my father, and he and I thank everyone. These messages will only help reinforce his determination to "take 'er easy."

Thanks!!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
Ok... so I'm not sure what all you guys are saying. (Phhhbt!). Seriously, it sounds like it'd be better if my father had gotten the Ram 2500 Cummins. I agree. But that truck would've increased his monthly payment by more than $300!

It sounds like most of the comments I've read have to do with concern over the longevity of the 1500's tranny and brakes... not to sound too cold, but those are simply "wear items" when you're leasing a new truck.

The 1500 may have slightly smaller braking surfaces and lower capacity springs, but it's essentially the same truck. Are your concerns really merited? (I guess we'll find out, because he picked up his truck yesterday, picks up his Classic on Friday, and heads out into Northern Michigan for test weekend this Saturday).

BTW, I did send him my Prodigy brake controller. He asked why this unit was better than the low-end unit the dealer wanted to install and all I could tell him was "I dunno... it's digital?" Anyone else know why? I bought it because of all the info I read on this site (thanks, Airstreamforums.com!).

I'll be sure to report back on how everything went.

Tony
People forget that before fuel economy standards people towed large/heavy travel trailers with large American sedans/wagons and had little or no trouble doing so. Spend some time in Texas, they tow large trailers with 1500 Suburbans all the time there!

What your father should have bought is a 2WD 2500 with the Hemi and 4.10 gears. That truck would have cost less than a 4WD 1500 and would be rated to tow the 30' Classic.

That said it's not the end of the world. The biggest difference between the 1500 and a 2500 Dodge are the frame, brakes, and rear axle. If the 1500 has 3.92 gears it will have enough power to tow the trailer even though it will be over it's factory tow rating. The transmission is exactly the same (5-speed auto) if it's behind the Hemi although the 2500 probably has a larger tranny cooler.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1500, 2005 classic