Old 04-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I showed him your message and he just laughed. He's tighter than bark on a tree. =)

Old 04-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by brud
What about using an Excursion with the Diesel?
The Ford Excursion is based on the F-250 Superduty platform (3/4 ton), so it would be fine. Especially with a 6.0 PSD

Old 04-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadude
I showed him your message and he just laughed. He's tighter than bark on a tree. =)
LOL!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

F-150 and an 2001 Excella 30ft

Not to add confusion to this line of thought but my wife and I pull a 30ft Excella (7160 dry weight) with our F-150, 5.4 L, 3.55 axle rating and 16inch wheels and though it is sometimes a strain we have found that keeping our speed both up hill and down to around 55mph our travels have been quite satisfactory.
We pulled from Michigan to the west coast through Reno and Lake Tahoe, up the California coast to Oregon, along the Columbia River and back along I-94:I-90 through Idaho, Montana and the midwest. Over 7000 miles in all and without the hair raising events many people describe. I think the major cause of accidents is speed; my data shows that travelers will hook their tow vehicle to a rig and never change their driving habits.
Having said all this, when we upgrade to a new truck (we owned the F-150 before we purchased the AS) it will be a diesel and a 3/4 ton. But then we have plans to travel to Mexico, Alaska and all over the US; retirement plans not with standing.
RTaylor
Old 04-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #19
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Post Good feedback...

Thanks everyone. All things being equal, I'm (and my father is) solidly in the "get the biggest truck you can" camp.

But money is an object, and he's already spent my inheritence on the AS... so he's making do with the Ram 1500.

Up until I read that last post about the F-150 5.4L and the AS, I was feeling pretty worried. But I think I agree... all things being equal, if you drive safely, the Ram 1500 is capable and quite safe.

I have been passing along all of your concerns and thoughts to my father, and he and I thank everyone. These messages will only help reinforce his determination to "take 'er easy."

Thanks!!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
Ok... so I'm not sure what all you guys are saying. (Phhhbt!). Seriously, it sounds like it'd be better if my father had gotten the Ram 2500 Cummins. I agree. But that truck would've increased his monthly payment by more than $300!

It sounds like most of the comments I've read have to do with concern over the longevity of the 1500's tranny and brakes... not to sound too cold, but those are simply "wear items" when you're leasing a new truck.

The 1500 may have slightly smaller braking surfaces and lower capacity springs, but it's essentially the same truck. Are your concerns really merited? (I guess we'll find out, because he picked up his truck yesterday, picks up his Classic on Friday, and heads out into Northern Michigan for test weekend this Saturday).

BTW, I did send him my Prodigy brake controller. He asked why this unit was better than the low-end unit the dealer wanted to install and all I could tell him was "I dunno... it's digital?" Anyone else know why? I bought it because of all the info I read on this site (thanks, Airstreamforums.com!).

I'll be sure to report back on how everything went.

Tony
People forget that before fuel economy standards people towed large/heavy travel trailers with large American sedans/wagons and had little or no trouble doing so. Spend some time in Texas, they tow large trailers with 1500 Suburbans all the time there!

What your father should have bought is a 2WD 2500 with the Hemi and 4.10 gears. That truck would have cost less than a 4WD 1500 and would be rated to tow the 30' Classic.

That said it's not the end of the world. The biggest difference between the 1500 and a 2500 Dodge are the frame, brakes, and rear axle. If the 1500 has 3.92 gears it will have enough power to tow the trailer even though it will be over it's factory tow rating. The transmission is exactly the same (5-speed auto) if it's behind the Hemi although the 2500 probably has a larger tranny cooler.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

F-150

The F-150 that I mentioned in my previous message is rated to pull 8000 lbs (continuously) and I know at times we were overloaded; especially after visiting the Rogue brewery and our purchase of several cases of beer. But maintaining a safe speed is the key to safely pulling an AS.
We climbed over 7000 feet into the Lake Tahoe basin, we crossed the coastal range mountains of California, drove north and south on highway 49 in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada range, across the continental divide numerous times and even a short hall on US 1 along the coast of California from Manchester Beach to Fort Bragg and never felt out of control of the TOV and rig. Even during the drive from Truckee Flatts over Rogers Pass and down into Sacramento were uneventful and did not strain the 5.4L too badly. There were times when we were passed (in the entire trip of 7000 miles we only passed 17 moving vehicles) by faster units and 18 wheelers (we use the Reece dual cam weight distributing hitch) and only once were we "blown". This insane truck driver who I later caught up with passed us going at least 85mph in a 30mph crosswind. Not only were we caught in his turbulence but the other vehicles not towing units were also affected.
So if your dad maintains a reasonable speed, uses caution when changing lanes and practices safe towing skils his TOV should be satisfactory.
RTaylor
Old 04-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Exclamation Underpowered dodge?

If a 335 hp truck with 17" wheels and disk brakes all around isn't strong enough, you can always get an old used Dodge Intrepid and put a hensley on it...................
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:54 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
People forget that before fuel economy standards people towed large/heavy travel trailers with large American sedans/wagons and had little or no trouble doing so. Spend some time in Texas, they tow large trailers with 1500 Suburbans all the time there!

What your father should have bought is a 2WD 2500 with the Hemi and 4.10 gears. That truck would have cost less than a 4WD 1500 and would be rated to tow the 30' Classic.

That said it's not the end of the world. The biggest difference between the 1500 and a 2500 Dodge are the frame, brakes, and rear axle. If the 1500 has 3.92 gears it will have enough power to tow the trailer even though it will be over it's factory tow rating. The transmission is exactly the same (5-speed auto) if it's behind the Hemi although the 2500 probably has a larger tranny cooler.
You also forget sir, that the large sedans and station wagons of that day all had log wagon suspensions, big block motors, and NO emission standards. Not a fair comparison to today's smooth riding 4-banger Focus wagons and 6-banger Tauruses whose exhaust is used to power respirators in some hospitals.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #24
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Talking

Yeah, big motors, no emissions, rear leaf springs that could support a high tongue weight, and body-on-frame construction.

They don't make a Gran Torino wagon or a Country Squire wagon like that anymore (the wagons my father used to pull around his new '68 Ambassador and new '76 Int'l Sovereign when I was little).

Those were the days... cheap gas, no seatbelts, high speed limits, less construction... Aaahhh...
Old 04-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadude
You also forget sir, that the large sedans and station wagons of that day all had log wagon suspensions, big block motors, and NO emission standards. Not a fair comparison to today's smooth riding 4-banger Focus wagons and 6-banger Tauruses whose exhaust is used to power respirators in some hospitals.
I haven't forgoten anything, I'm 48 years old and have had plenty of experience with the cars of the 60s & 70s. I wasn't comparing todays cars to the old behemoths, I was simply reminding people that you didn't always need a truck to tow a large trailer.

I dare say that a Hemi powered 1500 Dodge pickup is superior in every aspect except brute torque compared to a late 60s-early 70s car.

My 2005 diesel powered F250 has more net HP and far more net torque than ANY big block engine EVER SOLD in a "family sedan/wagon".
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
A couple of other items to keep in the perspective, people weren't so lawsuit happy back then as they are now....and the engineering of cars and trucks today is much more precise, as well as the quality of materials. We have several older vehicles and it does make for and interesting comparison.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
Yeah, big motors, no emissions, rear leaf springs that could support a high tongue weight, and body-on-frame construction.

They don't make a Gran Torino wagon or a Country Squire wagon like that anymore (the wagons my father used to pull around his new '68 Ambassador and new '76 Int'l Sovereign when I was little).

Those were the days... cheap gas, no seatbelts, high speed limits, less construction... Aaahhh...
Ya, I miss those days. Making out in the back of a Ford Pinto, trying to maneuver in the back seat of a GMC Gremlin, what ever happened to those classics.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Ya, I miss those days. Making out in the back of a Ford Pinto, trying to maneuver in the back seat of a GMC Gremlin, what ever happened to those classics.
I think the 'gremlins' got you...it was an AMC Gremlin!!!!!

Tags
1500, 2005 classic