Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Converter shut-off switch - 2005 Classic

While checking the AC wiring diagram for something else, I became aware that it shows a "G - Converter Shut-off Switch" close by the AC outlet that is above and a bit forward of the curbside writing table. The same switch is shown on the diagram for the Classic 25. I did not check the other models.

I have owned both the 25 and now the Classic 28 and I have never encountered such a switch. Out of curiosity, I have emailed Airstream tech to ask them whether the switch has been deleted at some time in history (the diagrams date back to the wide-body introduction).

Has anyone else noticed this oddity?
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The only switch for my original converter I found was the Airstream power cord.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Contributing Member

The diagram does not match the trailer

I noticed another thing yesterday. I pulled the outlet by the door out of the wall to check for clearance behind. I want to replace that outlet with a dual outlet so that I can keep my neon phase monitor and my voltmeter plugged in at all times.

The wiring diagram shows two wires to that outlet with the wiring crossing the trailer twice. Actual wiring is one wire with the outlet at the end of the circuit.

Easier for me to hook up the new outlet, but it would be awfully nice if the owner's manual actually came close to matching the trailer.

This is my 3rd Airstream and all of the manuals have been a close approximation to say the least. I wonder whether the dealers have any better reference material or whether they just go with what they find.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Pahaska
My converter plugged into a outlet right behind the sofa, no switch anywhere. I think you have one of those drawings that was created on a Monday or a Friday.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
John,
The converter shut-off switch has been an option for years and probably even standard on many models (it was factory on my 94 Excella). It used to be because of the hum of the older univolts would keep light sleepers awake. With the new solid-state switch mode converters, the fan will occasionally run in warmer climates at night but should be minimal. The other reason is if you have an inverter installed, you can shut off the converter to prevent them from competing.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Contributing Member

You are right, the switch went away with the change to modern converters. Sadly, Airstream did not take the trouble to update the manuals.

The simple fact is that the wiring diagrams in the owner's manual are only an approximation of the actual trailer wiring. I have had 3 Airstreams and in each of them the wiring did not match the diagram. As an engineer, I can certainly those figure things out, but as an purchaser, I also would like the information that I am given to be correct.
WBCCI #9632

Tags
2005 classic