Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2004, 02:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Classic models - 2002 Classic

I do not see any Classic model groupings in this forum.

Is anyone interested in sharing their ideas and experiences with the more recent models?

With units so new, our changes might pale in light of the vintage work being done elsewhere, but i would like to exchange ideas with others.

Examples:

I had to install supports on the wardrobe floor to keep it from slipping off the supporting inside base. This happened on our first trip!

To add more light to the galley, i ireplaced the smaller thin-lite fixture with a 21' fixture. All mounting holes aligned including the cut-out for the power!

Being a not so small person, i have trouble with that glass shower door. I am planning to replace just the door with a shower curtain similar to the one i had in our 1983 31' excella. While still in the thinking process, it looks to me that i can do this without destroying the factory shower and, when we sell the trailer just re-install the door.

Well, i know these are just small examples but is anyone interested in hearing other's changes and modifications?

Also, I was spoiled by having a factory repair manual for my 1983 excella and there is none available for the newer trailers. That means trial and error fixes and it seems it would be useful to use each other's hard won knowledge.

Just a thought, let me know if there is any interest.

Dave S.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Hi!

I'd be interested in participating when I get my 30" Classic that is scheduled to be built at the end of April.

John
Old 03-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Congrats flyfisher! I just spent my first two weeks in my 04 30' Classic and I can't tell you how HAPPY I am with it. It is an awesome floorplan. You will love it!

Baldeagle, I do not understand what you had to support in the wardrobe. Please explain the problem.

I've asked the moderators why there was no Classic section and was told they were working on a total rehaul of the model forums. But this was two months ago. Hope it happens soon because I like talking with fellow Classic owners.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I agree with you about the shower door. The closet doors / mirrors are so heavy there has to be something else to replace them with that will do the job at a fraction of the weight. We had some galley counter supports fall out on our fist trip so the dealer put them back in. We never did see where they came from or what the dealer did with them. The Corrian counter is beginning to get a little sag in the middle now.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The 31' has the same side bath as the 34'. I'm a real wide-body myself and can get in that shower a whole lot easier than I can the one on a 25'!

The trick is to open the shower door up against the countertop before going into the bathroom, then go in and shut the sliding door behind me. No problem after that.

What really bothers my wife is the vent fan in the bathroom. The big open screened area with the little fan in the corner. I can't get her to use it because of all the cold air coming in around the fan blades. I'm going to try to come up with a thin piece of plexiglas to fit that opening, with a round cut out in the corner for the fan.

Our wardrobe floor hasn't moved. Besides the 1.4A ThinLite above the sink, we also have one under the microwave in front of the appliance garage, and that combined with the range hood light is enough for us. There are also two 1.4A ThinLites overhead in the galley area. We're set for lights.

What I do want to do with the dual-bulb incandescent wall lamps is to replace the first bulb to come on with one with half the candlepower, and turn them into a true 3-way. Especially the ones over the bed. I think I posted the part number for the bulbs to do that some time ago.

I also built a wood box holder to go behind the slide-out trash can. Keep the extra garbage bags there.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I was under the impression that the 34' side bathroom shower was BIGGER than the 30'. I guess not as I am a real wide body and I have NO problem getting into the shower.

The vent in my bath is the push up kind with no open screen.

I still do not understand the problem with the wardrobe floor. Why does it move or need supports. Mine works great.

I am disappointed with the Thinlights. I had regualr bulb lights on the Safari that worked great with lots of bright light. I wish I had them now. The Thinlights are not so bright. I am not sure why Thinlights were considered better than the incand lights used on the Safari?

Come rally with us.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The 30 has a split bath, sink and toilet on the streetside, smaller shower on the curbside with a small wardrobe. The 30 refrigerator is where the larger shower is on the 31 and 34.

The 31 has the same streetside complete bathroom, with the large wardrobe and linen closet on the curbside, as the 34.

The 30 and 31 are both 31' long. The 34 is 34'10" long.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
BTW, I love the ThinLites, but like any flourescent, they dim when it's cold. They're pretty bright in the summer... brighter than the incandescents for half the power.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

wardrobe floor...

Hmmmmm... Let me try to describe what happened.

After the first day's trip, when i looked into the wardrobe, the front of the floor (the one that just rests on a ledge just inside the bottom of the mirrors) had fallen down into the well where the water pump and the heat duct are. Thus, the floor was secured in the back but the front had sunken into the area behind the bottom panel of the wardrobe.

Had to unscrew the back of the floor from the wall, reposition the front edge on the front ledge and the reattach the rear edge to the wall.

I then put 2 x 4's under the front edge of the wardrobe floor and reaching to the trailer floor.

I am glad you guys have not had the problem...

Wonder if my wardrobe floor was missing some support you guys have?

You are right about the shower door but then when i am finished i would like to be able to get out of the shower w/o opening the sliding bathroom door. This would also give me a little elbow room in the shower since the curtain would yield a little.

I personally liked the "old" bathroom exhaust fan. Push it up, use it pull it down. The "motorized" version is not a improvement, at least in my opinion. The idea of restricting the size of the ceiling opening sounds interesting.

I am really pleased to see all your responses. Hope we can have a "Classic" sub-forum soon.

Dave s.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We chose the 30' unit because of the dinette. The curb side shower is a little smaller than the 31' unit with the enclosed bathroom. My wife likes the split bath since it gives more room for dressing.

I can appreciate the unhappiness in the bathroom fan. Our '01 Safari had the same style. Our new Classic has a round fan that you push up on the handle which pops up covered top. This fan can run in the rain since its top is always covered. We used to have one of these on our '82 Hi-Lo trailer.

I'm not sure about the wardrobe floor moving either. Haven't seen anything on this to this point.

The thin lights are dim when temps are cold, but there are enough incandesant lights that we can pretty much use either and be happy.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Our '98 31 had the same problem with the wardrobe floor. I had a buddy cut a couple of strips of oak that were about 1inch by 1 inch and a foot or so long. I used some wood screws and fastened the strips so that the "ledge" that the floor rested on was wider. Never had any more problems after that.

The closet rod in that 31 and also our current 34 fell. The hook that the factory uses to reinforce the center of the rod pulled out of the ceiling on both rigs. I guess we haul too many clothes. My fix for that was I went to the hardware store and found a piece of conduit that would fit inside the existing rod with a relatively tight fit. That stiffened the rod up enough that we haven't had any more trouble with that.

While I had the closet rod out, I installed a wire closet shelf across the top of the closet and replaced the rod about 6 inches lower than the factory. Mary puts real important stuff like tupperware on the shelf.

Lee
LeeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Good stuff here! Nice to know about the closet rod (with my wife )
Old 03-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
One thing I don't understand is why the factory installs the toilet so close to the cabinet in the split bath. I can't sit straight on the throne and leg always touches cabinet. Seems to me all they have to do is rotate the toilet a bit to the left and problem solved. Even the dealer tech questioned the placement of the toilet. The factory probably has a good reason but I wonder. I will have to email the factory.

Boy, I sure hope the factory fixed the problem with the wardrobe floor. Maybe they have since neither Jack nor I are seeing the problem.

Closet rod does not have any hook to support it so that must have changed. Putting in a shelf sounds like a great idea. Hmmmm...maybe that will be my second thing to add. My first project was to install surround sound system.

I really like the openness of the split bath. It feels so big. I also like the two solid doors. Great for sleeping when others are watching TV.

My Classic has been at a coast campground since I picked her up two weeks ago. I've been commuting from the trailer. It is so awesome. I want to live in it. Maybe I will. Who says you have to wait til retirement. It is a great feeling to get in early and have the WHOLE beautiful campground to myself!

Maybe this thread can be our Classic model forum! Luv talking with fellow Classic owners. Peace.

Come rally with us.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I certainly am seeing/learning what i had hoped this thread would generate.

Anyone here know how to contact an administrator to get "our" Classic forum up?

Dave S.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:28 AM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dee
One thing I don't understand is why the factory installs the toilet so close to the cabinet in the split bath. I can't sit straight on the throne and leg always touches cabinet. Seems to me all they have to do is rotate the toilet a bit to the left and problem solved.
That's a puzzle to me too. The Classic S.O. that I looked at during the Bill Thomas rally last fall had the toilet pitched with almost no angle. We took the Airstream rep. and asked him to try to sit down. He acknowledged that it was not pitched correctly.

My Classic seems to be pitched ok, although just another half inch to an inch turn would have made it a little better.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-04-2004, 08:49 AM   #16

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by baldeagle
I certainly am seeing/learning what i had hoped this thread would generate.

Anyone here know how to contact an administrator to get "our" Classic forum up?

Dave S.
Dave we are aware of your request and the work to do this must be done by Andy who is the owner of the forums. We have to wait until Andy gets time to address this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-04-2004, 09:11 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Jack,

Thanks, didn't mean to be a "nag"....

We will look forward to being included.

Dave s.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:06 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wally_winter Send a message via Yahoo to wally_winter
Talking I want some of the action

Wow am I glad I found you folks. Just bought a preowned Airstream, Classic, Limited Edition, 2001 and tickled silly. I am an 0-5 in the military and retiring in two years and decided my last two years I would spend it in a class act! So I decided to buy a preowned and instead of paying rent I'll pay the Airstream off in 30 months. I am so excited. Biggest problem is that my orders were cancelled so I am now living in my rented apartment with an Airstream in Arkansas waiting to go either E, W, N or S. Reading everyone's comments has really got me excited. Right now I am having it towed rather than worrying about moving it myself but evenually I'll probably buy a truck so moving can be simplier. Once I figure out how to do this profile I'll add a picture of the Airstream. So glad to talk with ya'll and read your comments. I too have been looking for more information on the Classics and also trying to straighten out the confusion between the Excella and Classic, think I have that one under the belt now.

Wally
wally_winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:04 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Wally,

Welcome to the world of Airstreaming and all your new friends on this forum.

Hope you enjoy your "new" unit. Sounds like a great financial plan!

Good to have you aboard.

Dave S.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your 2001 70th Anniversary Limited. What length is it?

Tags
2002 classic