Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Gas can behind propane tanks..not me.
Why not????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
This got me thinking, where is the safest place to store a gas can while traveling?

Probably in the open bed of a pick-up. What if the bed is covered and could accumulate the vapors. Seems like if the can is leaking gas due to shifting cargo puncturing or crushing it, there are a lot more ignition sources in a vehicle than the trailer.

Storing on the Airstream, though, gives you a lot more to lose. The only real outside storage on my rig is behind the propane tanks. I too would worry about the proximity of these two combustible items. But could it ignite here? The gas can is well protected in that box. And I assume the jack has a brushless motor. But how about that DC switch... don't they all arc a little bit?

Of course, in the case of a vehicle accident, this could be bad news. Maybe it is better in the truck.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Gas can behind propane tanks..not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Why not????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
This got me thinking, where is the safest place to store a gas can while traveling?

Probably in the open bed of a pick-up. What if the bed is covered and could accumulate the vapors. Seems like if the can is leaking gas due to shifting cargo puncturing or crushing it, there are a lot more ignition sources in a vehicle than the trailer.

Storing on the Airstream, though, gives you a lot more to lose. The only real outside storage on my rig is behind the propane tanks. I too would worry about the proximity of these two combustible items. But could it ignite here? The gas can is well protected in that box. And I assume the jack has a brushless motor. But how about that DC switch... don't they all arc a little bit?

Of course, in the case of a vehicle accident, this could be bad news. Maybe it is better in the truck.
Gentleman...

I only put it there to improve the 'bang' should it ever happen.....

Bob
Old 02-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I doubt the jack motor is brushless. That's a very expensive DC motor not likely found in a jack, and as noted the switch ( and also the limit switches in the gear head ) are spark producing items. The upside is that the area is well ventilated and unless you have a major leak or leave the gas can open, there is a very small probability of an explosive mixture around the can. If the gas can did leak then there might be gas fumes inside the belly wrap...not a good thing when you start to occupy the trailer. I would vote for the bed of the truck as a storage place, although the smell of gas does contaminate everything in there. At least there is some ventilation and most pickups don't have ongoing sparking devices present in the bed.. As in checking the bilge in a boat your nose is your best gas detector. If you can smell it ...don't spark!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #26
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Better late than never! I'd use a safety can type gas can, even if it was in the truck bed and bunge cord it down at the very least. Expensive, but no vapor release.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My 2 trailers have battery compartments in the front with al doors. Both trailers came with the jack cone and the chocks in the nasty little box behind the propane tanks. A few models have a battery in that location but the ones that do not have the leaky little box.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
I read once, somewhere, where it referred to as the flag box by Airstream. No matter what, it was intended for storage of things that could get wet.
The flag box is something completely different. That is a long box that goes under the trailer side to side and has room to carry the flagpoles for the flags used by the Airstream Club officers. It is about 4" x 10" x 8' long with a hinged door on the end. I helped install a flag box on a friend's Airstream. It is usually installed in the area of the steps on rear bedroom Airstreams.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #29

BILLERICA , Massachusetts
We store our plastic leveling blocks in there. It is handy when you need one for Jack stand and then you can put the two front jack stands down and the leveling blocks are with in easy reach....just one of many uses. I also contemplated putting my bottle jack and other tools in a watertight ammo box and storing in there.
Crbairdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crbairdream View Post
We store our plastic leveling blocks in there. It is handy when you need one for Jack stand and then you can put the two front jack stands down and the leveling blocks are with in easy reach....just one of many uses. I also contemplated putting my bottle jack and other tools in a watertight ammo box and storing in there.
Throw the bottle jack away and get a Trailer Aide, way safer and easier to change a tire. Also, even if you don't golf, get a junker iron to position the blocks under the Jack's, and comes in handy for defense if need be.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Sorry, in my trailer (2002) it is not deep enough to hold batteries. As Sandlapper (John) said, it evolved into a battery box, but in the 2002-era Classics, batteries are in two separate externally accessible compartments under the sofa.

Al
Ditto ^^^^

I use mine for the Anderson jack pads, 2 X chocks, X chock wrench, and my cordless drill for the stabilizer Jacks, but like previously noted it's not water proof,so I moved the drill in the side compartment.

I may try weather stripping the lid this season...
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote