Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Congratulations!

She's a beautiful Airstream and looks even better with that truck. Mind if I ask what kind of hitch setup you have? It looks like you've got the weight all distributed nicely. Sometimes our Toyota -- same truck as you have -- feels like it's a little low in the rear when we're towing. We've been monkeying with it to try to get things evened out a little but I think there must be a trick to this that we haven't quite worked out yet. Any advice?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've got a Nissan Titan, a full half-ton truck compared to the Tundra (7/8ths X 1/2 ton = ??). Oncoming vehicles think my high beams are on and flash me fairly often -- this is when I'm not towing and I don't have halogens. When I pass a semi on the interstate they frequently burn me with their high beams after I am in front of them. I'm going to check my headlight aim real soon!

Where I'm going is -- When towing at night the number of folks taking exception to my headlights goes up significantly. And I think I'm using good weight distribution, etc. Hmm... If the headlight aim is good I'd guess I'd better head to a CAT scale, check the number of links on the Dual Cam and transfer of weight to the front axle, etc.

Now a Tundra should be reasonably good for an older 23-footer. I really wonder how the tow vehicle's GVWR and GAWR figure into a 25' Classic's tongue weight?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I've got a Nissan Titan, a full half-ton truck compared to the Tundra (7/8ths X 1/2 ton = ??)..........

Now a Tundra should be reasonably good for an older 23-footer. I really wonder how the tow vehicle's GVWR and GAWR figure into a 25' Classic's tongue weight?
The Tundra Crew Cab does an outstanding job towing the 25' Classic. I realize I'm pretty close to my GCWR but damn it feels good when I'm going down the road. The Crew Cab's extended wheel base (140.5"), along with the 2005 model years increase in torque (313) & horsepower(271), combined with Toyota's 3:92.1 differential really make for a smooth ride.

Now I love a good argument as much as the next guy so here goes......

Although the Tundra's towing capacity is lower than the Titan's I'm not sure why you are calling it less than a half ton truck and stating that the Titan has higher payload capacity by calling it a "full half-ton" and the Tundra a "7/8ths x 1/2 ton =??". The Tundra Crew Cab is larger than the Titan Crew Cab and also has a higher payload capacity. See my listed dimensions below.

The Tundra Crew Cab's payload capacity is 1,800 - 1,835 lbs depending on trim vs. the Titan Crew Cab's payload capacity of 1,325 - 1,529 depending on trim line.

The Tundra Crew Cab's wheel base is 140.5" vs. the Titan Crew Cab's 139.8".

The Tundra Crew Cab's overall length is 230.1" vs. the Titan Crew Cab's 224.2" length.

The Tundra Crew Cabs width is 79.7 vs. the Titan Crew Cabs 78.8" width.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
She's a beautiful Airstream and looks even better with that truck. Mind if I ask what kind of hitch setup you have? It looks like you've got the weight all distributed nicely. Sometimes our Toyota -- same truck as you have -- feels like it's a little low in the rear when we're towing. We've been monkeying with it to try to get things evened out a little but I think there must be a trick to this that we haven't quite worked out yet. Any advice?
I have a reese dual cam hp set-up. The trick to setting it up was following the directions exactly as they were stated. Reese is very particular about each adjustment on the hitch. This even includes insuring your hitch ball is at the right height and angle. Reese also states that you should take measurements to the top of your front and rear wheel wells before attaching the trailer. Once the trailer is attached and the weight distributing hitch is engaged you need to measure to the top of the front and rear wheel wells again. If trailer has settled evenly then you have hooked everything up properly. If there is more than a 1/2' variance then you need to make some adjustments. I'm listing the URL's to both the weight distributing instructions and the dual cam HP sway control instructions.

http://www.reeseprod.com/support/sup...fs/66006IN.pdf

http://www.reeseprod.com/support/sup...dfs/N26002.pdf
Old 09-18-2005, 06:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Very well founded, Joe! Game, set and match... I'm not about to "Ford vs. Chev" you with Titan arguments. With a few personal items aboard, two people and 100# of dogs, my Safari's tongue weight comes right up to my truck's GVWR. I can't put a topper on without going over -- this isn't the way I want to travel the country! Excess importance is given to GCWR and tow capacity.

Don't know where I got the "7/8ths" biz -- read it somewhere I know. I wonder whether Toyota will change dimensions or capacity when they bring the San Antonio Tundra plant online....

Enjoy the cool (and pristine!) Classic!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Don't know where I got the "7/8ths" biz -- read it somewhere I know. I wonder whether Toyota will change dimensions or capacity when they bring the San Antonio Tundra plant online....
Bob - I've heard the Tundra's referred to as 7/8ths before also but that comment was applied to the regular cabs and access cabs. When Toyota released the Crew Cab in 2004 it was larger. In the 2005 release they added more power. I actually made a mistake in my torque and horsepower ratings in the earlier post. Torque for the '05 model is actually rated at 325 and horsepower is rated at 282.

With regards to the San Antonio plant they will be bringing a new truck online (3/4 - 1 ton), in addition to the current half ton model, at the end of '06 for the '07 model year. This new truck will be Toyota's start at competing with Ford, Chevy & Dodge in the heavy duty market.

Joe
Old 09-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Barkingspider -- Thanks for the information on the hitch, and also the nice defense of the Tundra double-cab. We're using a Reese-type hitch, a Draw-tite, that we got with the trailer. We didn't get any instructions with it so that might be why we're having so much trouble with the adjustments. I think the Reese instructions on measuring might help us out here. Your setup just looks sooooo.... great!! When we move up to our next trailer (we're already working on it), maybe we should look for a new Reese hitch to go between the truck and trailer.

Good luck with the new Classic!!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #28
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Man, here we go again.....

Joe, you've got that new trailer out of the way of the big blow comin', right? I experienced Alicia in Houston back in the early '80's, which was a wimp compared to Rita (potentially, at least). By the time it got up your way (the hill country, Right?) it was pretty tame. Rita may not be like that.

Hope all you good Texas folks are safe. Oh, yea, Gig 'Em, Aggies!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 classic