Old 05-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #85
Craftsman

John, you should write a book, something like " Airstream Modifications you can Make".
Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Love all the great ideas....definitely going to do that to my overheads above the sink and prob add some shelving in the cedar closets.

......I can't believe it, even a pooper scooper holder!!!...now I've seen it all

Old 06-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Next round of changes

I leave early Tuesday morning to tow up to Weatherford to have David Tidmore, et al, install disk brakes and Centramaic balancers on my trailer. My trailer was manufactured before the changeover to disks and that is one thing I have regretted since.

David recenly upgraded the Airstream Life trailer that Rich Luhr is touring in and probably has done nearly as many upgrades as Jackson Center. I'm avoiding my local dealer; they aren't enthusiastic about disks and consequently haven't done any upgrades to date. I much prefer to have the work done by someone who believes in the product and has experience.

I had the Centramatic balancers on the 25, but in the frenzy of changing trailers, I forgot to have the dealer transfer them to the new trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Disk Brakes and More

Just returned with my new disc brakes. I really like the braking action, although I haven't had to use them hard yet. I also have Centramatic balancers and new, stainless steel water heater and furnace doors plus dirt dauber screens installed.

David Tidmore and his tech, Denver, put them on. I arrived about 10am Tuesday and they moved me into the shop about 11am. By 5pm, the mechanical assembly was complete, ready for the electrical hookup and brake bleeding. When the electric brakes were removed, we found that springs were loose in one brake and probably was the cause of my having to indrease brake current to the limit of the Prodigy.

The actuator is mounted in the A-frame, beside the black storage box rather than inside the box where factory Airstreams have it mounted. I like that sinc I use the box for sewer fittings and the like and hated to lose the space.

I slept in the trailer, on jack stands, in the shop that night. At 7am sharp, the big doors flew open and by the time I could get dressed and teeth brushed, both David and Denver were there and work was starting.

When all was complete, David drove (and I rode) for miles around Weatherford back streets, breaking in the brake pads. David explained that they had to get good and hot before they would respond well. By making some hard stops and dragging the brakes with the panic lever, I could soon smell hot brakes. When I had settled up my bill and drove away, the brakes were smooth as silk and the Prodigy was at about 1/2 scale.

I don't have photos yet of the new doors on fridge and furnace, but I will post some shortly. They look worlds better than the original painted doors that had already started to change color.

On the way home, I stopped 2 nights to visit forum member GSTEPHENS and enjoyed parking in his grove of pecan trees along the Leon River, near Hamilton, TX. I didn't get any shots of his beautiful grove because we stayed so busy that I was never there in daytime.

Last night, on the way back to the trailer, I saw a doe in the gravel road. When I got closer, I saw that there was a fawn laying in the middle of the road. It was so new that it was still sticky, but it couldn't get its back legs to cooperate enough to stand up. I carefully picked it up and carried it away from the road. My good deed for the day.

I have nothing but praise for David Tidmore and Denver for the service that I received at Roger Williams Airstream. David owns a Bambi and a 34 and has a real feel for the product. Denver is a meticulous craftsman. The dealership, in general, is one that I enjoy doing business with.

I have attached photos of the old iron that was removed, the actuator, and the completed brake assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OldIron.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	22147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskActuator.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	22148  

Name:	HubAssy.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	22149  
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #89
Craftsman

John , are the stainless water heater and frig doors something that could be order from David Timore and self installed? I was just on the phone with him yesterday and ordered a few new parts for the 25' Classic that I'm selling. Great guy, explains everything in detail. Congratulations on the new brakes they look and I'll bet operated great.Looking forward to seeing the other photos.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
John , are the stainless water heater and frig doors something that could be order from David Timore and self installed? I was just on the phone with him yesterday and ordered a few new parts for the 25' Classic that I'm selling. Great guy, explains everything in detail. Congratulations on the new brakes they look and I'll bet operated great.Looking forward to seeing the other photos.
He had a stack of the doors in the parts room. They are essentially flat with 45-degree chamfer all around and should be relatively easy to pack for shipping. They are only about 3/4" thick.

As far as installation goes, you have to remove the old doors and then remove the screened inserts from the old doors and install them in the new doors. David pop-riveted the inserts into the new doors. On the water heater, you need to bend the projecting flange on both sides of the heater back at about 45 degrees so that the new door will hug the trailer side. David protected the finish with tape and used a hammer to "form" the flange. Took about 5 minutes. From there, it was put the hinge rods in place and install the new doors.

It took him almost as long to get a recalcitrant furnace door unhinged as to do the rest of the job. I would have no hesitation to install them, even if I had not watched him do so.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Also ...

While he was working on the water heater, David temporarily removed the exhaust assembly from the water heater, cleaned it up with a wire brush, and sprayed it with black high-temperature paint. It makes it disappear behind the insert in the WH door which helps the appearance. It will also keep it from turning into a rusty mess like most do.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
On more photo

Denver installing the first piece of the disk brake system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FirstPart.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	22150  
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
New Appliance Covers

Here are the new stainless steel covers for the furnace and the water heater. They nicely match the segment protectors, although they are polished rather than brushed.

Notice the neat "Disc Brake" decal on the trim strip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Furnace_Cover.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	22197   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH_Cover.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	22198  

WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Those look nice John. Did you have your trim replaced after the installation of the cover? I think ours is as pictured here with a break in the trim. It looks from the picture that the stainless steel covers may be shorter in height?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hwcover.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	22216  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
No change

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Those look nice John. Did you have your trim replaced after the installation of the cover? I think ours is as pictured here with a break in the trim. It looks from the picture that the stainless steel covers may be shorter in height?
The stainless covers are the same size as the original steel ones. My trailer has the WH mounted a little higher than yours so that the original door as well as the new door are completely located above the trim line.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Pahaska,
Nice upgrades on your classic 28.
Have you found a nice metal version of the cheezy stove
vent cover?
Here's my old thread with the photo.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
Pahaska,
vent cover?
I haven't looked for a replacement vent, but a nice stainless one would sure look better than the one Airstream installs. Maybe David Tidmore will get those made at some future time..
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
Pahaska,
vent cover?
All those things cut into and attached on the AS body are a real pet peeve with me. I was thinking of trying to get some Alcoa aluminum and cutting faceplates or shapes and covering these things. Someone could make out quite well if they could outfit our Airstreams with high quality replacements for these cheapo looking things. The dealer in Texas sounds like he is really up to speed on modifications. Did you see the western redo of a brand-new AS in the last issue of ASL by the same dealer? Pretty cool.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 classic