Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #321
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
I have the Snyder fan kit to install like John shows in his pictures.
I have a 1972 27' international with 1 fridge door at bottom and small roof vent.
It looks like I will have to pull fridge to install. Anyone do this on trailer similar year to mine?
Also how do you attach the kit to the back of the fridge.
Steve
You do have to pull the fridge for installation. I made a box of appropriate height and used furniture sliders to pull the fridge partially out and turned about 30 degrees so I could reach the back.

Installation is pretty easy. There should be instructions with the kit and also on the web if you search for snyder kit. His website is a little messed up last I looked, but the instructions were there.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #322
Contributing Member

New chairs

We bought a pair of "Pico Chairs" to replace the chairs that came with the trailer. They are much more comfortable than the ZipDee chairs and they fold nicely into rectangular carrying bags about 5" thick with shoulder straps.

Unfortunately, the two chairs just barely fit into the chair garage. Because of their shape, they couldn't fit side by side. I removed the chair garage from the trailer and extended it toward the front of the trailer about 4". The chairs fit nicely now. I had to make a new top for the chair garage which I made from the top of the night table that I had removed from the bedroom when I went from queen to twin beds.

I'll post a photo shortly.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #323
Contributing Member

Chair Garage Rebuild

Our new chairs were a terribly tight fit in the chair garage and would often nudge the door open on the road. I removed the garage and brought it home to my workshop to make the fit better. When I first modified the garage, I did it at the storage yard and the workmanship was not the best. This time, it is a little nicer.

The garage was already tapered to better fit beside my recliner. I added a 4" wide piece of oak to the front end with pocket screws and relocated the old front wall to the new piece. I then band sawed a plastic drawer to fit into the top. This is about 4" deep and is storage for pencils, pens, tire gauge, and similar small objects. Last, I had the old top from the bedside table with matching laminate. I cut this into a trapezoid to fit and then cut out an opening to access the drawer which is piano-hinged.

I like the result. It is a great place to set a drink when relaxing and the laminate insures no water damage..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chair Garage 1.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	189534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chair Garage 2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	189535  

Name:	Chair Garage 3.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	189536  
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #324
Contributing Member

Pull out storage

I have hated the cabinet in the credenza ever since the trailer was new. It was a dark hole that required getting down on my knees and groping in the depths for whatever I wanted. We kept the coffee maker there, along with various containers for leftover food.

That is fixed now! I installed heavy duty drawer slides and built a pull-out unit with a dedicated space for the coffee maker and filters. A drawer pull makes it easy to pull out.

The top bin is for seldom-accessed items such as the knife sharpener. Access to the top bin is a little tight, so I'll take the saber saw out to the trailer and open up the front a bit.

I removed some unnecessary plywood that took up space in the very rear of the cabinet. This allowed me to make the pull-out unit as deep as possible. The top bin overhangs 2" at the back to make maximum use of the outward curve of the trailer wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pullout 1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	189537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullout 2.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	189538  

WBCCI #9632
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #325
Contributing Member

New Wheels/Tires

We are gearing up for our summer trip. After several friends had major damage from failures of ST tires, I absolutely refuse to take another hot-weather trip on ST tires.

These are my new 16" Sendel wheels, mounted with Michelin E-rated light-truck/trailer tires. There is plenty of clearance for the 1" larger diameter tire. I intentionally picked a wheel that would use my old center caps. My Sendel wheels now say Alcoa on the center cap.

I think they look great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Wheels.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	189539  
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #326
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
Mark for later viewing. Nice work.
sequoyah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #327
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
I'm doing the twin conversion to our 27FB. Behind the rows of drawers there is plenty of space for outside access storage. What is the range of price for adding the long outside doors? I've (over)built the frames out of aluminum tubing and put in access hatches but outside doors would sure be nice.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #328
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoyah101 View Post
IWhat is the range of price for adding the long outside doors? I've (over)built the frames out of aluminum tubing and put in access hatches but outside doors would sure be nice.
I had a long access door put in at Jackson Center under my curbside twin. About $450 as I recall. I had a lot of other work done at the same time.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #329
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
Those little drawer slides way in the back are sure hard to reach to get the screws in place!

Tags
2005 classic