Old 07-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Half done!

I can't believe how fast FEDEX is.

Both mattresses left Charlotte at the same time early Friday morning according to the FEDEX scan. Both arrived in Fort Worth about 3AM this morning, but were scanned in a little while apart; possibly they came in on a double-bottom rig and were in different trailers. One was scanned in at Austin early this morning and arrived here about 1PM. The other is still in Fort Worth, according to the scan. It will probably get here sometime Monday.

I took the one mattress out to the trailer and unpacked it. It was rolled tightly, bound in a plastic bag, and in a large cardboard box. Actually, only one boxed mattress would fit in my passenger car back seat, so getting only one was not inconvenient. I will say that the quality of Rocky Mountain Mattress is immediately obvious.

I also found that the mattress is really comfortable. It is better by leaps and bounds than the original Airstream mattress, even though the Airstream mattress was supposed to be of better quality in the Classic. In fact, I think I prefer the new mattress to our queen at home which has a 4" memory foam over a high-quality pillow-top.

So, one side of the bedroom looks finished while the other is bare plywood. That should change sometime Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CS made up.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	107877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curb Side Made Up.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	107878  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

The night stand is beautiful John. The bedroom looks luxurious! Super job. I especially like the three drawers for storage as opposed to the OEM single. It's also prettier and more dresser like. Is it possible to get a close up of the sheen from those multiple layers of clear poly? Is that the same treatment that you finished your custom dinette table topper with? Where are your electrical and 12 volt outlets placed? Also can we sneak a peek at the mattress itself? Thanks. Your transformations are always so well done and interesting.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #283
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Is it possible to get a close up of the sheen from those multiple layers of clear poly? Is that the same treatment that you finished your custom dinette table topper with? Where are your electrical and 12 volt outlets placed? Also can we sneak a peek at the mattress itself?
I get a pretty good sheen using many coats of water-soluble poly with light sanding between with 240 grit. The poly is handy since it doesn't stink up the trailer and I can clean the brush with soap and water from the tank. I used the same thing on just about everything I have done.

The 12v is just above floor level by the base of the cabinet on the road side. I found the wires I was looking for at floor level, so I may put another cigarette-lighter socket near the bathroom wall on the curb side, again near the floor.

There is an existing AC outlet above the foot of the road-side bed. The other one is now hidden behind the new cabinet on the curb side. There is also an outlet by the breaker box in the rear overhead cabinet. I had to cut a hole to get the wires untangled when I put some electronics in, so I installed an outlet to fill the hole.

I'll take a photo of the second mattress Monday if I can remember to take the camera.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #284
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
John, what a beautiful job you have done upgrading your Classic. I am interested to find out how you like the new mattresses once you have had a chance to use them for a few days. Our Classic has factory twin beds that we really like, but we would like to change the mattresses out as the factory mattresses are really firm. We have added some memory foam toppers which help greatly, but they tend to slide around. I have looked at the Rocky Mountain Mattress web site and it looks like they will make a custom mattress that will fit.

Dennis
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #285
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
I am interested to find out how you like the new mattresses once you have had a chance to use them for a few days. I have looked at the Rocky Mountain Mattress web site and it looks like they will make a custom mattress that will fit.
Dennis
So far, I have only had time for a short nap on the new mattress, but I like it better than our home mattress, so far. We have a 4" topper at home and I always feel like I am sleeping in a ditch. It is hard to roll over.

The Rocky Mountain mattress cover is of obvious quality. The mattress is fairly firm (I have the 8") and very supportive. I made and sent them a Kraft paper template and the mattress fits the curve of the trailer just fine. The two custom mattresses cost $900 total. No shipping and no tax.

I should get to spend a couple of nights in the trailer later this week when I go to visit a sick friend.

The 2nd mattress is still stuck in Fort Worth. I had hoped it would have been on the wee-hours truck to Austin and arrive today. Looks like it will be at least tomorrow before it gets here.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #286
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
I made a short trip to see a sick friend. I'm happy to say that the Rocky Mountain Mattresses are very comfortable.

I sent them a email telling them that I was happy with my purchase. They asked whether they could publish the note and for a photo to go with it. I sent them a photo of Kay and I and another of the installed mattress. They put both photos on their website here.

The only family member not totally happy with the new bed arrangement is my traveling cat. She hasn't quite figured out where she wants to sleep.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #287
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
New Fridge Cooling Fan

My old fan finally gave up the ghost, so I ordered the cooling kit from Snyder. I was surprised to find that the plenum in the kit is a modified plastic eaves-trough downspout adapter. I like that kind of thinking!

I pulled the fridge out, using a wooden box as support since the bottom of the fridge is 13" off the floor. I used some of the slippery moving pads under the box to make it easier to slide the heavy Dometic. The first photo is the fridge mostly out of the cabinet.

The second photo is the cooling fins and the third photo is the plenum slipped into place for a test fit. The tape around the fan protects the wiring before installation.

A thermostat is clamped on the tube at the top right, above the burner and the wires are led down to the rear of the fridge. In my case, the wires were too short for the size of the fridge, so I terminated them with crimp-on ends. Next trip to the trailer, I will extend them and tie them in to the 12v power. I had already installed a cigarette lighter outlet behind the fridge. I'll just use the pigtail from the old fan to plug the new fan in there.

If you do this mod, be prepared to get absolutely filthy from all of the road dust covering the rear of the fridge. Also, the kit installed by Dometic to prevent fires if ammonia leaks has to be partially disassembled to disconnect the propane lines and remove one of the lag bolts in the rear of the fridge.

Good news was that I checked the burner flue and the little twisty flue baffle was clean as a whistle after 4 years of using the fridge. That says that I have a well adjusted gas flame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FridgePulledOut.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	108520   Click image for larger version

Name:	CoolingFins.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	108521  

Name:	FanInPlace.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	108522  
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #288
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks, have wanted to see one of these. A must in a Texas spring (let's not mention summer camping with no shade).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #289
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Final bedroom decor

Here are the twin beds with spreads cut from a king-size coverlet and edge bound. I was able to trim the window valences with scraps.

I applied a film to the side windows so that the bedroom can be nice and bright without folks looking right into the bathroom. I had to turn the bamboo sideways in order to have enough material to do both windows. I may later replace the bamboo with a different pattern. The film even gives good privacy with the bedroom lighted at night.

I rebuilt the rear cabinet by increasing the height of the lower drawer to bunk level and narrowing the top section by rotating the face-frame stiles 90-degrees. The cabinet was originally way too tight against the mattresses which made the beds hard to make. The top of the rear cabinet is left-over bamboo flooring from my last Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LeftBed.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	112853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valence.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	112854  

WBCCI #9632
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #290
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Here are the twin beds with spreads cut from a king-size coverlet and edge bound. I was able to trim the window valences with scraps.

I applied a film to the side windows so that the bedroom can be nice and bright without folks looking right into the bathroom. I had to turn the bamboo sideways in order to have enough material to do both windows. I may later replace the bamboo with a different pattern. The film even gives good privacy with the bedroom lighted at night.

I rebuilt the rear cabinet by increasing the height of the lower drawer to bunk level and narrowing the top section by rotating the face-frame stiles 90-degrees. The cabinet was originally way too tight against the mattresses which made the beds hard to make. The top of the rear cabinet is left-over bamboo flooring from my last Airstream.
It looks great! You do such nice professional looking work.

Carol
Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #291
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I am so impressed by all these improvements! I am making a comment here so I can FIND this thread again! I'll be referring to it many times. Thanks for sharing John!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #292
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Keeping busy in hot weather

More than 30 days over 100 degrees here so far. I can't leave because I need to keep everything watered in the worst drought in 60 years.

I never did like the tops of the cabinets I put across the front of the trailer last year. I used oak plywood from Lowes with lots of polyurethane, but it never really looked right to me. I bought some oak laminate that matches the credenza and chair garage and redid the cabinet tops. In the photos, I have not put the polyurethane on the red oak trim around the laminate yet. I also extended the side cabinets for more storage space. The side cabinets are lower and recessed to allow the chairs to recline.

I also put down "FLOR" brand carpet squares in the bedroom and bathroom. The squares are blue jean color and the random stripes are orange like the stitching on blue jeans. The squares are laid in a parquet pattern with every other square rotated 90 degrees. The result looks like two colors of carpet because the weave reflects light differently.

The squares were not quite as thick as the original carpet and pad, so I had to put molding around the bed bases and rear cabinet. I used the router table and table saw to make my own simple molding for the projects.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00001.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	135873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	135874  

Name:	DSC00005.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	135875  
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
What a great job. We are looking at buying a "new" 2010 with a queen and converting to twin beds, just don't like a queen.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #294
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
What a great job. We are looking at buying a "new" 2010 with a queen and converting to twin beds, just don't like a queen.
We really enjoy the trailer more with the twin beds. We don't disturb each other in the night now. My wife, especially, likes the twins.

The only downside is that air from the AC is blocked to both beds. I handle that by putting our 12v Endless Breeze fan in the doorway to blow cool air back at floor level.

I wish that I had bought a twin bed 28 back when. There was a new one available about 125 miles from here at a good price, but I was set on buying the queen bed model and passed it up.

WBCCI #9632

Tags
2005 classic