Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
New tables and cabinet

The folding bamboo tables store quite nicely where I removed the original folding table. I did have to move the end partition of the credenza as far right as possible to make room for the chairs. The chairs are held in place for travel with a bungee cord. A short trip this week showed that they ride quite well there.

Above the chairs was quite a bit of wasted space that looked unfinished. I filled this space with a sliding-door cabinet. The result not only looks quite finished, it also provides valuable storage for small objects. Everyone that has been in the trailer has commented on the appearance.

The hardest part was locating the plastic parts that the doors slide in. I finally found them at Woodcraft. They are available on the net, but because of their length, shipping is expensive.

I had not yet put the finish on the oak in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlidingDoors.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	95268  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #254
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
One more BIG change in the wind

We have the crosswise queen bed. My wife did not like it from the start; it is hard to make and inconvenient for the person next to the aft wall (her).

This summer, the bedroom will be modified to twin beds. The first step will be a stop at Jackson Center to get a storage door in the curbside, just like the door on the street side. I have a price from Airstream for the door installation.

In the mean time, I will build a cabinet for the rear, between beds, with 3 big drawers, similar to the cabinet in the front between recliners. I know the width, so the rest will come easy. The cabinet will be ready before we leave in mid-June.

When we get back, the current bed pedestal will provide just about all of the material I will need. The queen bed pedestal sides will be the twin bed pedestal sides. The queen bed top plywood will be used for the portion of the twin pedestal tops that will hinge up for access from inside. Even the struts will be used.

The current night table will be removed, inverted, and modified to become a hanging cabinet for the curb side. I may even build an additional cabinet for over the curb side window. Switches, CO2 detector, furnace outlet, and fan control will be relocated as necessary.

Sometime in July, I will have a good, clean queen mattress available. It has never been slept on without a quilted protector. I would trade with someone who has twins and wants to go queen.

WBCCI #9632
Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
John, having done the conversion to twin, there is no doubt in my mind you will really appreciate the additional room. I had AS of Arkansas put in the door for me. I opted for the rear trunk instead of the curbside, but your nightstand will be diffierent than mine. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #256
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
Howdy from the TEXAS PANHANDLE!!! Every woman should be so lucky as to have a man like you around John! As you know TEXAS is full of thieves!!! I have already "stolen" many of your ideas for my MONEY PIT (for lack of a better name)! Thanks for the wealth of knowledge......do you have any single brothers (55 or so) that need a woman with an AS???!! Adios... B&S!!! HOOK 'EM HORNS 1973!!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #257
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by callie View Post
......do you have any single brothers (55 or so) that need a woman with an AS???!! Adios... B&S!!! HOOK 'EM HORNS 1973!!
Sadly, my only single brother is just another an old fart, just like me.

I'll tell her you said she is lucky, but she won't believe me.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #258
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Queen to Singloe bed conversion

I took two steps toward the conversion today:
  1. I confirmed my appointment at Airstream to have a long storage door installed in the curb side of my bedroom to give access to the under-twin space on that side.
  2. I bought the first pieces of red oak to start making cabinets for the bedroom.
I intend to have most of the pieces and parts standing ready when we return from our summer trip. I'll do most of the disassembly at the storage yard and install the new rear cabinet there. Then I will bring the trailer home for a long day where I have access to all of my tools and workshop.

I figure that with the cabinets pre-fabbed, the conversion is a 2-day affair.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #259
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
I have 3 cabinets pretty well built. The two little cabinets go against the bathroom wall of the bedroom, under the twin beds. The one for the curb side has the opening for the heat duct and enough room for shoes above. The one for the road side is big enough to hold items such as my laptop or camera.

The big cabinet goes at the rear, under the window, between the beds. I still need to build the drawers for this one. There will be a big bottom drawer for bedding and a smaller drawer for each of us. I started on the big drawer this afternoon.

The top of the big cabinet can be removed with a few screws so that the cabinet can be rotated to get through the narrow door between the trailer bathroom and bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FrontCabinets.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	104658   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCabinet.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	104659  

WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Looks good John. Have you tried putting a high gloss over the red oak?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #261
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Looks good John. Have you tried putting a high gloss over the red oak?
I have the first coat of semi-gloss poly on them. After several coats of that with light sanding between, I will put on a high-gloss top coat.

The doors on the small cabinets are cut from wood that I removed from the trailer earlier when I replaced cabinet door fronts with different material. Except for the routed edges, the original finish on them is still good. I'll try to match that with my final finish.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #262
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
we are on the way back to Texas with a new,long storage door in the street side of the bedroom. Jackson Center did a great job of installation, albeit slow. I had them leave the mouse fur across the inside of the door. I'll cut it away when I start the bed swap.

I will have a clean 2005 RV queen mattress available for free for anyone who will pick it up anytime this weekend or later. Never used without a mattress cover. PM or email me if interested.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #263
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Looking forward to seeing photos. You do such nice work!

Carol
Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #264
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Progress report on bunk bed conversion

After 2 half-days of work in the trailer, things are beginning to shape up. Most of the first half day was spent, moving things around, removing the bedside table, and disassembling the queen bed. Since my garage is crammed, I have to work around most of the items that were stored under the queen bed.

This morning, I took the new cabinet to the trailer and started assembly. The first hurdle was to find the center line of the trailer. The bathroom door is not on the trailer center line. Since the two sides are not the same at floor level, a simple measurement didn't work. I finally placed the two storage modules against the bulkhead with a 29" stick between and measured at bed height to center them. That worked out to 34" bunks and that fit my calculations. Once centered, I screwed the two storage modules down.

I placed the cabinet in the rear and tied the old queen bed sides between that and the storage modules. I then centered the cabinet by again measuring the bunk widths at bed level. The trim that was on the queen bed pedestal worked out just fine where the old bed sides meet the cabinets.

I'll finish the bunk tops tomorrow morning. I'm using as much of the old plywood bed top as possible. The balance will be 11/32" fir plywood. It all will be under the mattress, so it doesn't need to match except in thickness.

The three photos show the view from the bathroom and the two storage modules.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FromBathroom.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	106534   Click image for larger version

Name:	StreetSideCubby.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	106535  

Name:	CurbCubby.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	106536  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #265
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
One more photo

Here is a closer photo of the center cabinet before I applied the trim over where the bunk sides join the cabinet.

The opening in the bunk side was for the drawer on the front side of the queen bed. The drawer front will be hinged to swing down to allow inside access to the storage under that bunk. The unused drawer will be disassembled to provide material to build the drawers for the cabinet.

By the way, I think the workers at Airstream must be paid by the staple. The partitioning under the queen bed was assembled using an ungodly number of staples; far more than were needed for structural integrity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CenterCabinet.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	106537  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #266
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Getting close

This morning, I put the tops on the twin beds. I used as much of the old queen top as possible. The curbside bed has just one seam, up in the curved portion. On the street side, I left the non-hinged part that is attached to the wall. Since it was fitted to the curve, that meant adding new pieces on both ends as well as piecing the last 8" at the front of the bunk. The pieced bunk is well supported by structure underneath to form a cabinet behind the old drawer opening that is separate from the area accessed by the outside door.

I still need to build two drawers and three drawer fronts to complete the rear cabinet.

Because the motion of the trailer tends to wear the mattress over screws or seams in the bunk top, I taped the seams with "Gorilla Tape." This stuff is really tough and sticks like glue. In the photo, I have not yet taped the seam in the curved area since I will need to temporarily remove that piece to trace a template to order custom mattresses.

I also insulated the heat duct in the non-heated storage compartment. The insulation will be wrapped with plastic removed from under the queen bed for protection.

I now have an amazing amount of storage, far more and more accessible than under the queen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	StreetSide.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	106567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducting.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	106568  

WBCCI #9632