Old 05-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Flag Pole Holder

My good friend, Tom Beebe, who is an artist in steel, made me this flag pole holder in the form of a dragon. I also have a "hammer-diller" that Tom made for me to stake down my awning pole with a head made from a tack hammer head.

Tom has made items like this for a lot of us, but the flag pole holder was my idea and this is the first of the kind. Tom's favorite material is salvaged synchro rings from automatic transmissions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	81252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon_2.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	81253  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #240
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Even "Onslow", my Munchkin cat, likes the new interior. The new central cabinet has become his favorite place to watch the world go by through the front window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Onslow.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	81254  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #241
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Couch removal - stage 2

After spending nearly a month with the new layout, I am making some further changes; some were planned from the start and some are as a result of the trip.

I moved the end partition of the space where the foldout table had been to the very end of the credenza. This is to give me plenty of space to garage a 3' long drop-leaf table (photo). The slight groove in the rug edge indicates where the partition was originally located.

The above change lost me the space where I had previously stored the Endless Breeze fan. I am slanting the garage that holds the ZipDee chairs outward to parallel the arm of the chair on that side. As shown in the two photos, this gives me space for the chairs and the fan. It will also make a convenient table space by my chair for drinks, etc. Part of the top will hinge up to provide access to a 3" deep bin underneath, above the chairs. This will be equivalent to adding another drawer to the layout. The photos show two placements for the fan; I will choose a final layout later. The door where the chairs are accessed will be made much larger than the original by adding additional oak and it will be a lot easier to access the chairs with the larger door.

I am going to permanently mount a 120v table lamp on the center front cabinet. I found a Tiffany lamp on sale for $73 will contribute the shade, socket, cord, etc. I'll scrap the purchased lamp base and replace it with a Craftsman-styled oak base. The threaded center rod for the lamp will pass through the cabinet top and through a metal plate to spread the load. I think the colorful Tiffany lamp will really look great in the trailer. The AC lamp will be great for reading.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mockup_1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	83966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mockupo_2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	83967  

Name:	Mockup_3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	83968  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
syncro rings

Not to be picky but there are no syncro rings in an automatic trans. Those are found in manual trans-----pieman
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #243
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Not to be picky but there are no syncro rings in an automatic trans. Those are found in manual trans-----pieman
I should have said clutch rings.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #244
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Chair garage progress

I extended the front top and bottom frame and added width to the door. The photo was a check on door size and clearance. Next step is to disassemble the door (pocket screws) and run the pieces through the planer to get a better match of the two parts when finished. When I reassemble the door, I'll add glue in addition to the pocket screws.

I have more hand surgery on the horizon and I'm trying to finish up loose ends before that happens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ExtendedFront.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	84265  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #245
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Next step

Here is the "chair garage" reinstalled in the trailer. The 3"-deep tray on top is lined with black felt, a leftover from the wine rack lining. The larger door should make getting the chairs in and out much easier.

The other photo is with the hinged top laying in place for a trail fitting. The top will be slightly trimmed (take off 3/8" along the wall) and the oak edging put on before finishing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TrayInstalled.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	84445   Click image for larger version

Name:	TopFitted.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	84446  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #246
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Great thread, bookmarked several for future reference!

Will try to adapt the "no wasted space" ideal.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #247
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Finished slanted chair garage

I finally braved the record Texas heat by hitting the workshop at sun up to finish the slanted chair garage.

I cut a top from plywood and didn't like the result, so I cut another top from one layer of the removed fold-down table that had been on the roadside wall. I ran some red oak through the router to make the edging. I ran the door that I had built earlier through the planer to shave off a little weight and get a better finish.

Right now, the top stays down only through its own weight. I'll install one of the thin magnetic latches from McMaster-Carr to hold it down firmly when traveling.

The extra width of the chair garage makes it a great place for drinks and snacks. By using the laminated old table top for material, moisture will not harm the surface and spills will wipe off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Side-closed.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	85222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished_forward.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	85223  

Name:	Forward_open.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	85224  
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #248
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Let there be light

After waiting for some parts to arrive in the mail, I finally installed my Tiffany lamp on the front cabinet of my trailer. I modified the single socket with a limit of 75 watts to double pull-chain sockets fitted with compact florescent bulbs for an effective 150 watts of light with far less current draw and heat.

I Gorilla-glued a threaded rod in the base of the lamp that extends out the bottom. This rod goes through a hole in the cabinet top and is held by a washer and nut from below. The shade is quite heavy and could exert a lot of strain on the base. When traveling, the shade will be lifted off and placed in one of the chairs.

I think the rich colors in the dragonfly shade really add to the ambiance of the trailer as well as being a better light to read by than the 12v spotlights.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiffany_1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	86351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiffany_2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	86353  

WBCCI #9632
Old 08-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Looks great John... looking forward to seeing everyone in late Oct... Annie and Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #250
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Snack tables

When I replaced my couch with reclining chairs, I was left with the problem of not having tables to eat from. My first thought was to build a folding table that would garage where the original table was removed. A second option was to use individual small tables similar to the old TV trays from back in the 60s.

I finally opted for the latter. Bed, Bath, & Beyond has small, folding bamboo tables for about $10 each that match the oak in the trailer fairly well. I bought two for $16 with a coupon and found that they garage in the old table space laying on their sides. Two oak cleats and a bungee cord will retain them while on the road. Wood to build a folding table would have easily cost several times the cost of the chairs.

When parked, one table can be placed between the chairs and is easily moved when access to the front cabinet is required.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #251
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
When I replaced my couch with reclining chairs, I was left with the problem of not having tables to eat from.
I also replaced the old couch in my 1976 31'Sovereign with wall away reclining chairs. They still came out to far when not reclined to allow the fold up table mounted on the wall to raise. I was able to take the table off and rebuilt a top that was about 6"to 8" narrower that would still open and close and provided plenty of table top room. I used the same table hardware and the new oak top looks much better as well.

Don
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #252
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I was able to take the table off and rebuilt a top that was about 6"to 8" narrower that would still open and close and provided plenty of table top room. I used the same table hardware and the new oak top looks much better as well.
Don
A 31 has a lot more room to work with than the 28. I considered narrowing the table, but it would have been overhanging the chair too much without a lot of modification to the credenza.

We don't eat fancy meals in the trailer, so the snack tables should do us quite well.

WBCCI #9632

Tags
2005 classic