Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I like this change, John Our AS sofa is really uncomfortable for any extended period of sitting, ie a rainy day, but these would be so fine. We have a similar chair in our house that has made me consider making the same change. Thanks for the inspiration! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Trash

I should comment on the trash that I uncovered. There were dozens of pop rivet mandrels. Even the converter box had a couple of dozen mandrels in it.

There is an opening at the edge of the floor where the ceiling wiring harness comes out of the floor and into the wall, I can see all sorts of trash down in the hole including mandrels. There was a big sliver of aluminum hanging on the cable just below the floor. Flattened out, it was about 4" long and 1/2" wide at the big end. It was bent in a circle around the cable.

There was also a collection of loose screws and a couple of washers. When I started removing screws, I found that there was no consistent size. It appears that the worker just used whatever screw that he happened to grab out of a bucket of assorted screws.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #213
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
No more converter box

I forgot the camera this morning and that is a shame since big changes happened today.

After seeing how nicely Roadtoaster repackaged his converter, I disassembled the converter box and threw away all of the wood parts.

I found that I could temporarily remove the wood block under the battery box, and that allowed me to route wires under the box without disconnecting them. The converter itself is now lagged down in the curved area on the road side of the battery box. It just barely fits there. There will be two vents in the lower cabinet face to insure that the converter has plenty of air circulation.

The ground bus is now screwed into the front wall. The positive terminal block will be pop-riveted to the side of the battery box tomorrow if I remember to take my rivet puller with me. The battery box, being non-conducting, is a great mounting place for the positive terminal block. The black box that services the running lights and brakes will be pop-riveted to the battery box behind the positive terminal block. The switches and the circuit breaker panel will be mounted on the new cabinetwork.

Not having the converter box frees up the space between the battery boxes so that I can build a lot nicer cabinet there
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #214
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
The Rats Nest

I went out this morning before breakfast again while the trailer is still cool without needing the AC. I trimmed the carpet in the corners and finished mounting everything around the converter that can be mounted prior to installing some cabinetry. This time, I did remember the camera.

There is quite a rat's nest in that corner, but everything will fit nicely beneath the base cabinet which will be 1' high and 1' deep. The switches and fuse panel that are laying out on the rug will be mounted in the new cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RatsNest.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	79797  
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #215
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
It is Thursday, and ...

This morning's work consisted of installing the wood trim strips at the junction of the new carpet and the existing vinyl and making a template for the sides of the center front cabinet.

I used my miter saw to cut the carpet trim. The 45-degree jog at the left of the photo is an artifact of the curved trim that Airstream installed. The vinyl in that area was full of holes and had to be concealed.

To make a template for the curved front, I stapled a piece of corrugated sign board to a 2' x 4' piece of plywood. The extra width of the plywood insured that the template always stayed vertical. I cut the template by eye to a rough shape and then repeatedly slid a Sharpie pen along the inside front, putting a line on the template. I trimmed to the resulting line with a sheet-rock knife. The result was a well-fitting template to use in shaping the plywood sides of my new cabinet. Critical dimensions are written on the template with Sharpie pen and can't get lost. I will use the same method to determine the shape of each end of the bottom side cabinets which will conceal the battery boxes.

Today, I pick up the oak for the face frame. I will use pocket-hole joinery to build the face frame and attach the 1/2" plywood sides to the face frame. For the cabinet top, I plan to use material salvaged from the fold-out dining table that I have removed. The new center cabinet will have 2 deep drawers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CarpetTrim.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	79861   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontTemplate.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	79862  

WBCCI #9632
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #216
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Slow progress

I had to get some new rubber on my car, and that took up most of yesterday. I did stop by the trailer and reinstall the credenza along the roadside wall and cleaned up a bit.

I stopped by Lowe's and bought oak for the face frame. I don't like the oak-faced plywood at Lowe's, so I will pick up some nicer oak face at a different place on Monday. It will cost more, but look a lot better. I'll go for 3/4" ply sides for the center cabinet since it is key to all other cabinetry in the front. For the amount of framing that I need, the dimension red oak at Lowes will do the trick. It looks just fine when sanded and the poly finish coat is applied.

This morning, I drilled the pocket holes for the face frame, but I have not assembled the frame yet since my shop table is tied up with another project.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #217
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Cabinet starting to take shape

I didn't have a lot of time today, but I did get the front cabinet started and it looks nice Everything is assembled using pocket screws. I went with 3/4 ply for the sides since this cabinet is the keystone at the front of the trailer and will share sides with the shallower cabinets on either side of it as well as anchor the lower cabinet that conceals the converter and the battery boxes.

Tomorrow, I will install the shelf and the 3/4" square strips that will attach the top and serve to attach the cabinet to the wall and the floor. There needs to be a small box at the lower left to protect a bundle of wires. I will also install the mounting board at the rear of the drawers and the drawer slides.

This is my first pocket hole assembly and I an really pleased at the ease of assembly and the strength. It is nice to have no waiting time while glue sets up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CabinetFrame.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	80075  
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #218
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
What a difference a day makes

The main front cabinet carcass is complete, waiting for the doors and drawers. Today, I installed the shelf, the top, the osk trim around the top, the drawer slides, and sanded the assembly before applying two coats of polyurethane. I installed medium-duty drawer slides with 75# capacity. For the extra $2 per drawer, the hardware looked a lot more substantial than the light duty slides.

Early tomorrow morning, I will take the carcass to the trailer and install it. At 11:00 tomorrow, I report for some surgery on my right hand which will slow me down quite a bit for a week or so. I want to get the cabinet installed in the trailer before the surgery.

Next project step will be the cabinet doors, followed by the drawers. Next after that will be the base cabinets covering the battery boxes and converter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CabinetReadyToInstall.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	80109  
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #219
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
First installation

I took the cabinet carcass out to the trailer this morning before daylight. It slid into its place between the battery boxes perfectly and I shot the nails into the floor and wall to permanently secure it.

I still have to cover the junction of the battery cable on the front wall and protect the lump of wires coming out of the floor near the street-side battery box. I haven't started the side cabinets, but I already have more storage available than I had in the pull-out drawer under the sofa, plus I will have two large drawers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Installed_1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	80123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed_2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	80124  

WBCCI #9632
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #220
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Whoops!

I don't know why I typed "nails" in the previous post. Obviously, I meant "screws". I had pre-drilled all of the 3/4"-square attachment strips so that it took only a minute to drive the screws.

In the photos above, rear attachment for the drawer sldes has not been done. That's why the slides look a little bit awry.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Wow, nice big cabinet. I assume it will sit proud of the side cabinets. Hope the surgery went well and you can get back here soon. I need closure!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #222
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Wow, nice big cabinet. I assume it will sit proud of the side cabinets. Hope the surgery went well and you can get back here soon. I need closure!
There will be a 1' high x 1' deep lower cabinet attached to the main cabinet. On the road side, it will conceal the converter. On the curb side, there will be a bit of storage under, probably for my little hand-held vacuum cleaner and 12v vacuum.

On top of the lower cabinet, there will be a shallower (9" deep)and slightly shorter cabinet on each side that will share one wall with the main cabinet. I may leave one section open for use as a bookcase with some sort of removable rod across to keep the books in place.

The hand doesn't hurt much more than before the surgery, but the bulky stretch bandage makes it a bit hard to type. I bought the material for the cabinet doors and drawers today before the surgery. I think I can do most of the cutting to length with the bandage in place. Saturday, I graduate to a band aid and then, I ahould be able to use other power tools again. Right now, it would be hard to do something like set up the router.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Glad the surgery went well and you can return quickly. Your description sounds like a very good looking group of cabinets. For the doors to the only cabinet I built for my trailer I cheated and bought custom made from Rockler. My skills have a limit.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Back to work

Yesterday, I cut some plywood and oak parts and prefinished them with polyurethane. This morning, I loaded my miter saw and those parts in the truck and went out to storage to install the fronts of the base cabinets.

The left side base cabinet conceals the converter and has a vent to exhaust hot air. The intake vent will be in the door, which will be piano hinged. I'll staple some plastic to form a crude duct so that the hot exhaust air will mostly exit the vent and not recirculate. I finished the last cut just seconds before the sky opened up and finished the intallation to the tune of rain on the tin roof of the storage shed.

I took measurements each 4" along the top of the front partition which I will use to make a template for the tops.

The wires to the breaker panel and the switches will come up against the front wall and the breakers and battery switches will be in bottom of the side cabinet which will sit on top of the base cabinet. The switches and breakers will be accessible through the door of the upper cabinet.

The right base cabinet will be the home of the hand vacuum and the little 12v vacuum that used to live in the couch arm As shown in the photo, there is plenty of space for those and more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LeftBase.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	80304   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightBase.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	80305  

WBCCI #9632