Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Actually I won't have to give up any outside storage as my bed head is on the street side, so I will retain that storage with the twins plus much more "walking around" room. I actually checked with the factory for the cost to add a rear and curbside access door as part of my change over. $1,200 +. I decided to pass.

Pretty funny Carol. Never though of spitting. I'll try that this weekend and see how I do . If I don't post any next week, you may assume my wife beat the **** out of me for messing up her bathroom!

Greg

Old 06-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Doorbell

I had been admiring the doorbells on the 2007 models and decided to add one to my trailer.

My first mistake was to order the neat medalian that surrounds the button on the 2007 trailers. Fortunately, the dealer let me have it at their cost, but it still cost about 5 times too much. It does look good, though.

I drilled the hole in the outside wall for the button and a slightly lower hole inside that is concealed by the folding writing table.

I found a source on the net for a nice battery-operated chime and it is a very nice unit that uses 4 C-cell batteries, The batteries should last their shelf life.

I used a piece of self-adhesive white plastic cable lead from Ace hardware to go from the writing table top up to the chime unit. This allowed me to conceal the chime unit behind the curtains, between the windows without any exposed wires.

The adhesive on the cable lead doesn't stick well to the fuzzy walls, so I cut it down to flat tabs on each end that are trapped behind the chime unit and the writing table. The lead is short enough that it is firmly held in place. The wires are small enough that they are simply trapped against the fuzzy walls where they go behind the chime unit and the writing table.

The sound opening in the chime unit is exposed between the wall and the curtain so it is not muffled by the curtain unless the curtain is drawn, which is very seldom.

I had just finished hooking it up this morning when a friend stopped by to check his trailer and my bell was actually used ten minutes after I attached the last wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doorbell.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	38519  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #171
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Some more woodwork

You may notice in the photo in the preceding post that I replaced the laminate writing table with a real wood table. I have never liked the appearance of the laminate table tops; I think they look cheap!

I also made a new real wood folding counter extension to replace the laminate extension. Since we use the extension only for the coffee maker, I reduced the width by about 1 3/4" so that it doesn't stick out into the doorway as far when it is open. This also makes the magazine rack below the extension a lot more accessible.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #172
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
One more thang!

While I was at it, I reduced the width of the top of the writing table box by over an inch. Doesn't seem like much, but it is that much more room on the table to operate my mouse when I use the table for my wide-screen laptop.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #173

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
John, you do such a fine job with all your modifications! I'd love to be the next owner of your trailer - it's better than new when you're done with it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Jostle, push....

Stef -

Sorry to inform you, but the line for 1st dibs on John's trailer starts BEHIND me..... then again, I'm like #50 something, according to the slip in my hand, so my chance is only slightly better than yours... still!

John - keep up the terrific mods, and the awesome documentation of it all.

Saw someone ask about 'pimp-ing' their AS... here is the thread for them!!! All great, practical and easy to impliment things that really improve the livability and usefullness of an already good product.... Does it get any better?

Axel
SilverToy
Old 06-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #175
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
New rubber

After blowing a Marathon at Big Bend and my friends collectively blowing about 10 Marathons over the last year or so, my steed is now shod with 4 Maxxis E-rated tires. I had put 2 Maxxis on last month and 2 more on yesterday. Just in time for about 3000 hot-weather miles.

I found that inflated at 65#, the Maxxis run a couple of degrees hotter than the much more flexible D-rated Marathons, but not enough hotter to cause concern. I'm going to run the E-rated Maxxis at 70# in hot weather and I expect about the same tire temperatures as the Marathons at 65#. I could run the Maxxis at even higher pressures, but 70# is my compromise between ride quality and tire heating.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #176
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Report on new rubber

We have returned after 2500 trouble-free miles on the new Maxxis E-rated tires.

I ran at 70# as a compromise between ride and tire heating. My infra-red thermometer told me that the tires were running at very low temperatures.

I have recovered a feeling of confidence in my tires that I had lost with the Marathons.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #177
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Out goes the old ...

I spent a morning tearing out the terrible, stained beige carpet from the lounge of my trailer. After our almost month-long trip, I simply could not stand one more session trying to get the carpet clean. I will keep the carpet in the bedroom as is.

The credenza is out and sitting on the vinyl in the hall and the writing table is back laying on the bed, so I have a clean expanse of plywood to work with.

I have 40 sq ft of 2' x 2' carpet squares ordered from Lowe's that should arrive by the weekend. The new carpet is a Berber-looking brown salt and pepper weave that should not show dirt or stains. I figure it will be a lot easier to fit the squares to the curved molding that separates the carpet from the vinyl than it would be to struggle with a big piece of carpet.

I can't get rid of the curved molding because of the holes in the vinyl, so I added a lot more screws to the tabs on the curved molding to insure that it lies flat to the floor. The tiles are supposed to be self-adhering, but I will supplement the edge at the molding with double-sided carpet tape on the tabs of the molding and maybe some spray adhesive as well.

I'll have some photos as soon as the job is complete.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Hi John glad you're back safely,

I really like what you have done in the kitchen cabinets (Post 17). How did you secure these additional shelves to the existing cabinet sides? Can you send me a few more pictures showing the installation method? These cabinets on mine are just big open boxes, and I would like to build some organization into them as you have done.

Thanks,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #179
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Great work!! I would be curious what modifications you did to your 25 AS. I recently purchased a 2006 Classic 25.
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #180
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer
Great work!! I would be curious what modifications you did to your 25 AS. I recently purchased a 2006 Classic 25.
Thanks.
The trailers had the same layout, so I did most of the same changes, although that trailer did not have vinyl floor so I replaced the carpet except the bedroom with bamboo flooring.

Pretty much anything I have done to the 28 applies equally to the 25.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #181
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin
Hi John glad you're back safely,

I really like what you have done in the kitchen cabinets (Post 17). How did you secure these additional shelves to the existing cabinet sides? Can you send me a few more pictures showing the installation method? These cabinets on mine are just big open boxes, and I would like to build some organization into them as you have done.
The shelves are 1/4" oak-faced plywood, attached with white "F-shaped" molding from Home Depot. The molding comes in 8' lengths as I recall. The molding slips onto the plywood and attaches to the cabinets with 3/8" #6 pan-head screws. The molding was in the HD floor department. If you can't find the molding, lengths of small wood molding can support the shelves.

I also put a wood strip and a molding across the front for appearance, but that is not required for function.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I'll go take a look tonight.

Thanks,

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance