Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
2004 34' Classic S/O
Lynd , Minnesota
2004 s/o 34ft limited help

full timing starting december 1st ! Sharp tv keep or replace with HD . or how do i get the darn tv signal or digital ? sharp convection -microwave needs replacing any ideas.
ldepyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
My vote.. .HD tv

Sharp microwave / convection oven has to go too. I have had the display fixed twice now and I usually have to guess what its saying. Standard microwave going in there with a full range sliding into the spot where only drawers and a cooktop exist now.

Ps.. Welcome to the forums! Pictures??

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Sharp R820JS

I replaced my microwave with the Sharp R820BK (the last 2 letters denote the color). It comes in white,silver,or black. It is a microwave oven/convection oven/ grill. It is 900 watts and does not require outside venting. It fit in the space of my original microwave. Since I only had the standard microwave, I had to also order the trim kit to go around the oven. You will probably not need this.

I have found this unit to be quite easy to operate with an intuitive setup. It performs microwaving, convection baking beautifully and grills on both sides.It grills steaks to perfection. My conventional oven broiler was too close to the burner and I could not get good results. The turntable is 12" diameter. I have found it too have more than enough room for our needs.

I think this is the same unit AS is currently installing.

2air posted some great pictures of his install. Do a search and see if it will work for you.

BTW- if you prefer another model , check that it does not require outside venting.

Hope this helps, 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Sharp microwave / convection oven has to go too. I have had the display fixed twice now and I usually have to guess what its saying. Standard microwave going in there with a full range sliding into the spot where only drawers and a cooktop exist now.

Ps.. Welcome to the forums! Pictures??

Vin

I have not experienced any problems with my Sharp Grill 2 Convection in the 18 mos I have had it.

I have the conventional oven which I use alot. I am happy I have both ovens now ,since the conventional oven only has one rack , I often found myself in need of a second oven. Guess it depends on your cooking style.

It also saves on propane when I have FHUs.

'shaker
Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
We also have the Sharp Carousel Convection Microwave Oven, and it has served us well. Anne-Marie uses the oven daily, and seems to have mastered some of the features. I have mixed feelings about removing cabinet drawers for placement of a gas oven, but we have seen ovens in other Airstreams in this location. If our convection oven was broke, I just might consider installing a gas oven, but we would need some type of microwave oven also.

We have installed two Vizio TV’s in our trailer, a 22 inch in the bedroom, and a 26 inch in the front room. I would look at the design of the front room TV very close. Our front room TV sits on top of the microwave/pantry cabinet, and I made a cherry wood plaque for the TV wall mount bracket. The TV rests against the wall well, but the left corner overhangs the microwave cabinet. The 26 inch Vizio TV has speakers that point down, and the sound is louder in the bathroom than at the couch end of the trailer. The sound is so loud down the hall, that the front room TV can be heard better at the bedroom door than at the couch.

We have listed the 26 inch TV for sale, and are replacing it with a Toshiba 26 inch DVD/TV combo, and this TV has forward facing speakers.

I hope that the sound is better directed to the front of the trailer, with the new TV.

Steve

darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Btw- Amazon is where I purchased my Sharp Grill2Convection and the matching trim kit. You can go there and read the reviews for the oven. It might be helpful in making your decision.

'shaker
Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
2004 34' Classic S/O
Lynd , Minnesota
just ordered a new convection microwave from homeeverything for 268 no shipping. Now what to do with Tv? This was a built in unit. Would I better off with the coverter box and where do i find one?
ldepyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldepyper View Post
just ordered a new convection microwave from homeeverything for 268 no shipping. Now what to do with Tv? This was a built in unit. Would I better off with the coverter box and where do i find one?
First, 'shaker has maybe the nicest Airstream I have been in. Great suggestions about cooking stuff every time. Didn't notice that the microwave was also a convection oven before. Dang! Something else for the list. Hi guys.

Second, back to your question about the TV. Find a good 1080p TV and get rid of that piece of junk. There really is a difference. As a bonus, you can use the 1080p TV as a very good computer monitor. It's what I do. That way I justify a larger screen as a space saving.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
We have the same trailer, a 2004 SOL Limtited. Only thing wrong with the oven is 1/2 of the lcds in the display are dark, so you sorta have to guess what the time or time remaining is.
I have a friend, also WBCCI, that is a woodworker, he took out that cabinet, made a new one with shelves, where I put the satellite reciever, blu-ray player, surround system, and center speaker. Seeing the new cabinet is shorter, just slightly lower than the side cabinets, I was able to fit a 40inch Sony HDTV in, put two "super tv grips" on the very top corners, affixed to the underside of the cabinets and two on the back of the stand, affixed to the corian. works PERFECT. and we've been on alot of hills and bumpy roads with it. If I can figurer out how to post some pics here I will.
oh, by the way, did you get the trailer recently? was it the one for sale in Champagne IL?
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
TV Cabinet

thought I posted this but don't see it so posting again.
I just uploaded pics of the cabinet a friend made to replace the TV cabinet in our 2004 34ft SOL Limited. Also the Fisher & Paykell Dishdrawer dishwasher, which coincidently, has the same curvature as the refer.
half of our dislpay is out too, this must be an issue with these ovens? or and issue with vibration? Quite frankly I'd like a larger convection oven, but at 21inches it's a tad two wide. Sharp also makes a new Convection/STEAM oven, but it's also 21in wide, it might fit physically, but according to sharp, you need ventelation room around the oven.
Also, something you unfortunately need to be pepared for: The refers in our '04's were the recalled ones. all the recall did was prevent the trailer from burning down when the refer failed.
we had JUST pulled into Region 1 rally and the coolent went out of the refer, all green stuff in the refer compartment. of course a new cooling unit or fridge would be in just about the time we were leaving. Dometic would do nothing for us as it was technically out of warrenty. in the end, the a/s dealer in Vermont got us an identical new refer at his cost which was about the same as a cooling unit and the labor to install the cooling unit.
question? did you get this trailer in the last year? if so did it come from Champagne IL?
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Quite frankly I'd like a larger convection oven, but at 21inches it's a tad two wide. Sharp also makes a new Convection/STEAM oven, but it's also 21in wide, it might fit physically, but according to sharp, you need ventelation room around the oven.

Dan[/QUOTE]

The 2 in. ventilation space was not a problem in my cabinet except at the bottom. I solved this by going to HD and purchasing a hardwood 2X2 rail in the decking dept. I cut 2 lenghts to fit the cabinet from front to back and set the oven on these. I did have to add some wedges to get the oven level.

If the oven is too wide the opening on the wall side could be trimmed using a planer. If 1/2 in. or so too wide there is a strip of wood that is on each side of the opening(in my unit anyway,but I did not have to do this) that could be removed from the side closest to the wall so that the trim would fit properly around the opening after the oven is installed.

Hope this helps, 'shaker
Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
First, 'shaker has maybe the nicest Airstream I have been in. Great suggestions about cooking stuff every time. Didn't notice that the microwave was also a convection oven before. Dang! Something else for the list. Hi guys.

Second, back to your question about the TV. Find a good 1080p TV and get rid of that piece of junk. There really is a difference. As a bonus, you can use the 1080p TV as a very good computer monitor. It's what I do. That way I justify a larger screen as a space saving.
Hi Vaughn,

Appreciate the nice compliment. Of course most of the credit goes to David Tidmore. He came up with the ideas to fit my needs and did the work.

I like your space saving idea.

'shaker
Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Digital TV easy. Radio shack converter, walmart RCA big outdoor antenna picks up anything within 65 miles.

Wish my floor toilet problem that easy. Limited 34, 1992, floor rotten, gotta cut it all out.
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If your TV is working and you don't have a need to change it out I would just get a converter box. If you are going to stop at campgrounds make sure what ever converter box you get has a GOOD PASS THROUGH circuit. Before the conversion Zenith was considered the best box with pass through.

I use Directv satellite along with the Airstream antenna, and campground cable. With that I had to install an A/B box to separate the antenna from the satellite.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We bought a Westinghouse LCD/HDTV when we were south. It's amazing, with a cheezy in-coach antenna, how many stations it will pick up. Crystal clear, I still can't get over the clarity!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I just purchased one too.. Westinghouse SK26H730S 26" LCD HDTV, 720p Resolution, NTSC Tuner, Multiple HD Inputs - Including 2 HDMI and Speakers
The best part..

$219.99 plus shipping of $5.00

Vin

Old 01-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Hi,

I realize this is an ancient posting, however here are some thoughts that I gained from experience.

I ditched my very heavy Sony TV and installed a larger flat screen VIZIO HD in its place. I can tether my Sprint HTC to the TV and get expanded TV reception through my phone, anywhere/anytime there is phone reception. Here's the scoop.

1. Remove the 50 + pound Sony.
2. Finished the cabinet interior with Prego type flooring material or paneling.
3. Cut a piece of 5/8" plywood and wrapped it in vinyl that matches the trailer walls. You could also use this to finish the cabinet interior. Size the plywood leaving an extra 3 inches all the way around the TV.
4. Staple the vinyl to a 1/4" plywood and mount it with cabinet washers on the back of the plywood to make a really neat job. Get three cabinet hinges to match the other factory cabinets. (Home Depot or from the AS factory.) Mount the hinges to the top of the plywood and hang it on the TV cabinet frame.
5. Mount the 7 +- pound flat screen TV on the plywood by inserting screws through the plywood into the provided holes on the back of the TV.
6. Counter balance the TV's weight with hydrolic lift arms similar to the overhead cabinets or tail gate lifts. (Available on EBay) You will need two lift arms that are long enough for a full 45 degree swing upwards against the trailer ceiling.
7, Put an oak boarder around the TV using standard planking from Lowes or Home Depot. Counter sink the screw heads and use wood plugs to cover. Finish with stain and polyurthene (etc.) to match your interior.
8. Upon completion, you will have gained a huge amount of easily accessable storage space for cereal or other goods and if you have a 34' slide out you know just how much this extra storage is welcomed.

On the subject of microwaves, a convection microwave combination is definately worth the investment. If you're not into making big dinners, forget about replacing the drawer base under the stove top with an oven.

~A
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Noazrk2690...

We love pictures and would love to see what you have done.

Thanks Vinnie

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Yes please, would love to see your results!
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 classic