Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
beaufort , South Carolina
2004 30' Classic

Ok so the deal on the 25' safari I was looking at fell through due to wood rot.

I have since found an immaculate 30' Classic that I have looked at and will be re-looking at on Friday. (come with a 3k hitch :-))

My question is my wife and I would like to update the interior.
Especially the flooring, upholstery, cabinets and hardware.

Has anybody done this? Any suggestions? Any idea on cost?

Thanks
Chas
angustami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Flooring and upholstery plus window coverings and bedding is no small expense. I wouldn't do the others. Work with the extant hard pieces. Don't forget awnings as additions or fabric change.

16" tires/wheels are not cheap but worthwhile given the risk of ST tires. A Pro Pride hitch is also. recommended. Disc brakes (TUSON) as an integrated package. Same for a solar system as per Lewster.

50A service if a second A/C is advisable. One or two portable generators.

Spend where it is easy or necessary or highly recommended.

Give the rest a year or more. Cabinetry change outs only rarely work unless one makes nearly exact copies. Compromises about size, shape and capacity have already been well made by the factory. One may read or view in person what others have done in this vein, but there are usually compromises not well made no matter the beauty.

I am counseling patience with some other areas of concern which will improve performance on the one hand and know that there will be other things that come up of their own accord.

In short, go and enjoy it first.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Question recommended needs

slowmover, I see that you recommend a Pro Pride hitch and yet you use the Hensley. Any problems that you care to share ?
chipster
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
ProPride is an update designed by Hensley on the original Hensley design. It also has an adjustable height stinger that is much more convenient than the original design.

I'm convinced that either design works, just that the ProPride is a lot easier to install--no drilling, and seems to hitch up easier because of a better stinger design and larger opening size

I've towed over 5,000 miles since getting mine, and won't go back to anything else. AS follows my TV like a hungry puppy, and stays in line in gusty winds and when big rigs blow by me. Lots of threads on the forum talking about Hensley and ProPride experiences plus pros and cons. It gets to be a religious war at times 😜

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
thx slow mover,
I should have said refinish the cabinets and not replace....not crazy about light honey oak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Flooring and upholstery plus window coverings and bedding is no small expense. I wouldn't do the others. Work with the extant hard pieces. Don't forget awnings as additions or fabric change.

16" tires/wheels are not cheap but worthwhile given the risk of ST tires. A Pro Pride hitch is also. recommended. Disc brakes (TUSON) as an integrated package. Same for a solar system as per Lewster.

Give the rest a year or more. Cabinetry change outs only rarely work unless one makes nearly exact copies. Compromises about size, shape and capacity have already been well made by the factory. One may read or view in person what others have done in this vein, but there are usually compromises not well made no matter the beauty.

I am counseling patience with some other areas of concern which will improve performance on the one hand and know that there will be other things that come up of their own accord.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
comes with a ProRide hitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Great as to hitch and considering a cabinetry refinish. I'd like to change mine as well but that is a long way in the future. My Silver Streak has oak cabinetry.

Take your time, overall, and read deeply.

It is easy and "cheap " in a relative sense to get all the road performance list up to date. All exterior LED lighting? New breakaway switch? Chains of sufficient strength? These and all others have threads where discussion and regulations are linked, etc. Axle alignment and bearing/brake service is not something I'd take on faith. Must be verified. A big truck service shop where the RV motor home dealers send their problems is recommended.

Same for Centramatic balances for TT wheels. See threads also for dedicated torque wrench for wheels as well as calibrated air pressure gauge.

Best place to start is the long and worthy thread on the ProPride

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
As Slowmover said, get the hardware in order first, then the decor. I would add a Seal-Tech leak test to bearings, brakes, batteries, tire/wheel upgrade. Some solar is a wonderful addition if you travel a lot. Inspect and treat for corrosion.

Light oak cabinets and partitions don't look great to everybody, but light interiors can be more pleasant than dark. Take your time, learn what meets your needs and aesthetics, and enjoy the travel and camping.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
If the price is right and the coach is in a clean to very clean state, the interior upgrades can be done during the off season after camping. Floor replacement and interior upgrades takes time and although most experts that do this promise a solid time line, something always happens and there is a delay.
Over the last 19 years our upgrades have been system related to save costs. Gray tank- hot water heater & faucets, floors & mattresses, upholstery, LED lights & Fantastic fans and AC to include HP, Awnings, axles & tires.
Less painful on the wallet and it allows the months between Dec and March to let the Airstream to be winterized and worked on.
Over the last years we have done allot of upgrades at the dealer, very pleased, but it does come with a price, but buying the right tools, taking the time and screwing it it once to do it again can cost lots of money as well.
Buy what suits your camping needs and upgrade as you adapt to the lifestyle with items that are very excellent for use in today's environment.
Good Luck and Happy New Year 2015!
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
All
Mechanicals are up to date per AS
Lights r upgraded to LED
New brakes etc

I want to make the interior as nice as I can without spending a ton
Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As to the interior colors, change the interior lamps to LED beforehand. Whether just the lamp or the entire fixture.

"Warm white " is the general recommendation. LED4U or some such as supplier; see threads around here.

Make your color choices with usual daylight and LED installed. No regrets later per bad light effects with sensible interior lamp upgrade done first.

Take your time with flooring. Our preference was cork and would otherwise be marmoleum. Colors via pillows, rugs and such. Much easier to change these in the future than to redo flooring or upholstery. And on those two big expenses are many fine threads.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thx slowmover....all
Makes sense
Old 01-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
We bought a 2004 classic '28 a couple of years ago. I replaced all the bright gold pieces on the fixtures and towel bars and replaced the cabinet handles throughout with satin nickel pulls. We are currently having the gold shower door replaced with stainless (about $500).
Following Pahaska's lead ( he changed a lot on his 2005 Classic) I removed the mirrors in the overhead cabinets, reversed the panels to the other side, and applied stainless mosaic from Lowes. I put the same stainless mosaic behind the sink in the bath. Thinking about adding it in the kitchen area for a backspalsh too.
This all really helped make it look more modern. Or at least removed some of the more glaring dated elements. Someday we might reupholster the sofa, and change out the cornices over the windows. But what we currently have is a gray/ sage color which isnt too bad. I would also l love to redo the flooring, but what we have is in pretty good shape. The bottom line is, it is clean and comfortable, and although I salivate over the more modern decor in the new units, we have some things we cant get in a new unit, even if we were willing to pay the price. And even though the light oak cabinets are no longer in style, they are solid as a rock and serve our camping needs quite well.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Can u send pics to
355chas@gmail.com
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thank u
Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Sure. You might want to look at the long thread started by member Pahaska, in which he documents all the changes he made to his 2005 classic. Many of his changes were for function more than looks, but it is inspiring. The thread is titled "2005 Classic 28".

Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Pahaskas thread is reference for many of us, even without a Classic much less an Airstream. It is that good
Old 01-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ok I'm on it
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Yes. That thread empowered me to think we could make changes to our Airstream so it would be what we want. I was just watching the video of the 2015 Classic posted on another thread....so beautiful. I was amazed to see that they use the exact same cabinet pulls and knobs that I used to update the hardware in my 2004 Classic! Now if I can just figure out a way to put a dark stain on my light oak cabinets!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I agree....the light cabinets are yucky
I was thinking of replacing the door panels