Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Or paint them? That is what lots of people are doing in their houses these days. There are pictures somewhere of an interior in which the cabinets had been painted white. I decided it was a little too stark for my taste. In addition, there are places where a sort of laminate is used that looks like the wood, but isnt. You would have to figure out how to deal with that too. The bottom line is, without a huge interior gut job, you probably will never achieve the look of the new ones. And a 2004 in good shape is still a fine trailer as is. You have to decide if looks are that important. I am also persuaded that in the not too distant future, people will look at the Current Flying Cloud interior and think it looks dated. You can't escape changes in fashion or interior design. Or maybe I am just rationalizing....we have come oh so close to buying a new one in large part because of the interior decor. So far we have successfully talked ourselves out of it. But it has been a narrow escape!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
beaufort , South Carolina
I think if I could do a cork floor and change the cabinet doors Id be good to go.
I can't stand the oak finish....we also contemplated new ones but they are a lot of $$$$$
angustami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
2004 30' Classic

Let me go on here a bit:

I bought my latest Silver Streak TT two years ago. As above I didn't like the finish on the oak cabinets. I also didn't like the "wallpaper" used in the space between the oak wainscoting and ceiling panel.

But I've mellowed on the subject in an overall sense. As oak is used inside and out and trims virtually every surface I'd have to practically disassemble the trailer interior to get all of it. And then start disassembling the pieces removed. Frankly, I dislike that approach more than working with it from an aesthetic standpoint.

The wallpaper is on every imaginable surface as well, not just on the walls. Inside every cabinet vertical and horizontal. Painting it doesn't change its raised surface, small though that is.

The floor is another question altogether as to remove and upgrade. Same for some lighting fixtures and upholstery. Then comes accent colors. They are much, much easier as I've said above.

The approach I used in houses bought and sold was to maintain color "solidarity", if you will, from outside to inside and throughout the structure. Hardly from lack of imagination or from being able to avail ourselves of design professionals. Complementary.

On a trailer one has awnings to work with on the exterior and in the interior is the floor. These two make the biggest difference for their respective areas. But that does not mean folks make good choices. Just look at curtains, for instance, in threads where that applies. We spent over $2k on a previous TT for new. Money wasn't the point, but a lot of time spent in major cities at different high end fabric stores did matter.

We already had the flooring samples. And I pulled a drawer out to walk around those stores with. Also had a sample of the ceiling covering. Took home samples five times or more. Etc. Decisions that day or that night (lighting) only revealed themselves in those different conditions.

Granted, we were experienced and that my ex had outstanding taste (many claim it, few deliver). This is when we'd have another look over our shoulder. We were full timing and spent most of our time in two cities due to family and deciding on new jobs. Not quite time to kill, but plenty to use. A few hours of that and it was time for something else. We wove it into our routines.

Etc, etc, etc. So I'll get to the nitty-gritty. Do the floors. And work with what is present over time on the rest.

Changing the oak finish may not be satisfying if one will match factory standards, and, I say it is likely one will come to a color scheme that is pleasing on window coverings and upholstery last. At the very last.

It is the accents that will make or break it. And can be changed easily. They can themselves make further suggestions.

Get used to it, give it a year or more depending how much you are in it to get the rest of the plan together. You've said it is important and it was to my wife and I. As it is to me today, but without her skill. Take your time.

It simply isn't important to have it finished going out the door. Please understand that emphasis. My experience is that it takes more than forty hours to clean a "clean" trailer in the first place. Every surface, inside and out. It has never been done to yours, believe me. No one does it. This will give a sense of proprietorship to the situation, a closer sense of connection. Aesthetic problems recede just a tiny bit. Not less important, but less pressing.

Immediate gratification, scaled up or down, is something to undercut.

Besides, you need to clean it anyway. Sort of like the interior LED lamp suggestion. But, borrow or rent an ozone generator afterwards, open everything but windows and run it with the A/C fan turned on about twelve hours. Open it up afterwards and let it air out. This will change some unconscious reactions already in place.

And there will be plenty if other projects to tackle. It can be aggravating to have to do work on the interior of a "new" trailer. So leave some of that congratulatory feeling for last. And undamaged.

A little promise I can make you is that the trailer will grow on you. Not so that you don't make suitable changes. You will. But done after camping experience and reasonably within what you both are willing to tackle they will be better choices.

A rally or three would be helpful. Visit the rigs of others. Don't focus on the latest. My folks had theirs twenty seven years. From when I was in high school till our son was in college. Carpet changed, accents changed, and it was always a satisfying place to wake up. Let yours soak into you a ways.

I've gone on here too long, but I am also experienced both in having new trailers and what it takes to do one well. Third generation, also, with these trailers. Bridging that gap from reasonable to unreasonable is the important thing.

So, finally, a little secret for you. You will find in these pages the stories of those who have had more than one trailer. Inside that if you read closely you will also "see" that some made those changes after having made less than well advised aesthetic choices. Permanent changes that really cannot be undone only made a little worse.

Your trailer is a nice size and is likely a good layout. Unless that aspect was badly done, don't fall into the trap I think of as being one close to anxiety. Take pictures of before, during and after. We many if not most of understand what you're going through. Being away and outside the trailer in shirtsleeve weather is the real goal.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One thing to consider is changing the tail lights to LED's. The 2004 Classics used bulbs. Airstream once had a conversion kit that allowed to upgrade to a LED version with a new assembly behind the lens. From a safety standpoint when the sun is at your back, folks behind you will definitely know you have stepped on the brakes. I converted mine on my Classic once the kit became available.

I think this is the year we redo the dinette cushions. Time has taken their toll and the seat portion doesn't provide much support. Covering is still good at this point so just replacing the inserts will work well for us. Sofa is ultra leather which still is like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010210.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	229869   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010211.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	229870  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Forgot to mention that the trailer of which I spoke is linked in my signature. One may need to be on other than a mobile to access that.. wish I had photos of how it looked when we bought it.

Don't knock orignality, work with it. Slowly.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wow I scanned your message and I appreciate it
When I get home from work I will read it thoroughly...
Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
One thing to consider is changing the tail lights to LED's. The 2004 Classics used bulbs. Airstream once had a conversion kit that allowed to upgrade to a LED version with a new assembly behind the lens. From a safety standpoint when the sun is at your back, folks behind you will definitely know you have stepped on the brakes. I converted mine on my Classic once the kit became available.

I think this is the year we redo the dinette cushions. Time has taken their toll and the seat portion doesn't provide much support. Covering is still good at this point so just replacing the inserts will work well for us. Sofa is ultra leather which still is like new.
The exterior and interior lighting has all been changed to LED already.
angustami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #28

BILLERICA , Massachusetts
Click image for larger version

Name:	59062165008__2E597C3D-FA3A-475B-88A4-0709A9FA8D26.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	354423Click image for larger version

Name:	59062161599__013B1BBF-C8CD-40CE-9CC9-47016BE57A27.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	354424
Crbairdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #29

BILLERICA , Massachusetts
2004 30' Classic

The pics I just added are some of the renovations we have done thus far to out 30’ 2004 classic. Soon we will do the backsplash with stick on tile....a lot of elbow grease but well worth it
Crbairdream is offline   Reply With Quote