Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
2003 25' Classic

I just committed to trade my 2003 International AS for a 2003 25' Classic. The difference I am paying is almost exactly the difference between the MSRP on mine when I purchased it and the MSRP of the new trailer. Considering that mine has been used now for 17 1/2 months and almost 10,000 miles, I think I got a really fair deal from them.

I have to pick it up by Tuesday or else the dealer has some sort of assessment he has to pay on it. He had given me a price that was not too bad with tax, title, and license additional. I counter offered with the same number as a drive-out price. He accepted my offer providing I could take delivery by Tuesday at the latest.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Good deal, John! You sure have the truck to pull it now!

Did you get twins or queen bed?

Oven or cooktop?

AC or HeatPump?

One or two Fantastic Vents?

More?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
Good deal, John! You sure have the truck to pull it now!

Did you get twins or queen bed?

Oven or cooktop?

AC or HeatPump?

One or two Fantastic Vents?

More?
Queen bed. That's a must in our house!

Oven is standard + built-in microwave over refrigerator.

Heatpump.

Two Fantastic fans.

Skylight

I just went over it with a fine tooth comb and found onlly 3 gripes. I knew that the shower door had to be remounted, one locking pin was missing from the bumper storage, and the CD player was missing.

I'm headed out now to start stripping the AS in the storage yard. Wife has no inkling and she won't know until I drive up with it.

Now, I have to order new vinyl numbers and name. I have a little more room, so this one will be "Sabre-Dog".
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-15-2003, 12:45 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That didn't take you long after the truck!

Congrats on the new coach.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
That didn't take you long after the truck!

Eric
I didn't start out to buy today. The salesman that sold me the last one called just as I got home from an outpatient morning in the hospital (the "snake"). He said "What can I do for you?" We had been negotiating to a number that was not at all unreasonable. I told him that I would order a 2004 at the negotiated number or I would take the 2003 if they would make the deal "drive out" (tax, title, license included). An hour later, the salesman called and said if I would buy it by Tuesday so they could avoid some kind of assessment, I had a deal. The final deal works out to about $1200 below the former best offer.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-15-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice. You're really going to love that 25' Classic!

Eric
Old 10-15-2003, 02:03 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Wow, antother Classic person. Hey Eric, when you going to trade in that new Safari on a Classic?

With all the new Classics showing up I have asked Andy to set up a Classic section in the Trailer Forum. We have also asked for a new Safari designation also.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:27 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
Wow, antother Classic person. Hey Eric, when you going to trade in that new Safari on a Classic?

With all the new Classics showing up I have asked Andy to set up a Classic section in the Trailer Forum. We have also asked for a new Safari designation also.

Jack

Probobly when I buy a new truck too!

Keep in mind it's the Canavera Classic Syndrome. You should know better than most the correct steps in the disease!

Eric
Old 10-15-2003, 02:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
New Classic

Geeez John,

After you did that fantastic job on the cork floor, and all the other little mod's.

Now you have to start all over again. I think you'll like the classic with the big windows that open, the heat pump etc. Congrats. I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Because this is a wide body, think seriously about the McKesh mirrors from hensley. They work great and are very easy to take install and even easier to take off.

Mark
Old 10-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I know why I bought a 25' (I also know why I DIDN'T buy a new one!), but I am curious as to why you traded for thee more feet and six inches of width. Where there any particular features you could only get in a 25', or is it just a matter of a bit more room?

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
I know why I bought a 25' (I also know why I DIDN'T buy a new one!), but I am curious as to why you traded for thee more feet and six inches of width. Where there any particular features you could only get in a 25', or is it just a matter of a bit more room?

Mark
There is a surprising amount of difference in the space in the two trailers, even after I modified the dinette into a bench in the International.

When I bought the International AS, I had travelled mostly alone for the last 12 years since my child bride was still working full time. My travels were mostly kayaking or hiking at state parks or attending music festivals. This spring, my wife retired and now it is two people and two cats staying in the trailer for much longer periods. Sometimes, it is hard to find a place to put my foot down and the litter box and food and water for the cats is always in the way.

With the 25, the litter box will go in the shower out of the way. There is space to walk without stepping on a cat or in a water bowl.

A few more perks are a full bath, a full queen bed vs 52", the ability to get up without crawling over the partner, more wardrobe space, sufficient space for blankets and towels, much more outside storage, much more tankage, a comfortable couch for after a long day of driving and, last but not least enough space for my banjo which is a real hassle in the AS.

The AS was perfect for the kind of travels I did for all those years, but a new era has dawned.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Re: New Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by markjoandall
Geeez John,

After you did that fantastic job on the cork floor, and all the other little mod's.
Mark
This one is going to get a cork floor from the galley back to the bedroom threshold. This time, the area is linear, so I will use interlocking cork tiles rather than glue down.

I already see a few little mods such as a knife block (which was the first thing I did to the AS).

The International AS is a little Classic in many respects. It has the same riveted windows and wraparound front windows. One of my reasons for buying a Classic instead of a Safari is to retain these features.

I had McKesh mirrors about 10 years ago and sold them when I bought the TrailManor. I may go back to them. I'll see whether I am happy with the slip-ons first.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-15-2003, 06:21 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
but I am curious as to why you traded for thee more feet and six inches of width. Mark
John,
Wasn't your International a wide body?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-15-2003, 06:27 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Quote:

John,

Jack
No, the current Internationals 22' and less are all 8' wide. 25' and up, they are 8 1/2' wide.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-15-2003, 07:17 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
John,

Jack
Jack,

You turn rookie/newbie on us?

First the toga comment, now this.....

Eric
Old 10-15-2003, 07:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I've got the McKesh and love 'em. They're a little awkward with the window rail dip of the Superduties, but it's workable.

The Ford TT mirrors don't extend out far enough for a widebody. They have a main mirror up top, and a small convex I keep aimed at the rear tires to see where they're going.

In addition to these, I have some 4.5" add-on convexes specifically made to fit between the Ford TT mirror arms to eliminate the blind spots when not towing.

Add the McKesh outboard of the retracted Ford mirrors, with THEIR 4.5" convexes, and we have FIVE mirrors on each side. No blind spots here! LOL! Guess I could've opted not to buy the convexes on the McKesh, but WTH.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:16 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

Jack,

You turn rookie/newbie on us?

First the toga comment, now this.....

Eric
Hey I didn't know. You learn something every day. I had to do my drug screening for the new job today so we will find if my latest round of incoherence is drug related.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 10-16-2003, 02:36 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Hey I didn't know. You learn something every day. I had to do my drug screening for the new job today so we will find if my latest round of incoherence is drug related.

Jack
Old 10-16-2003, 03:40 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: 2003 25' Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
I just committed to trade my 2003 International AS for a 2003 25' Classic. The difference I am paying is almost exactly the difference between the MSRP on mine when I purchased it and the MSRP of the new trailer. Considering that mine has been used now for 17 1/2 months and almost 10,000 miles, I think I got a really fair deal from them.

Congratulations, John!

I confess I'm surprised to hear that you're trading off your trailer, but not surprised that you're going with the 25' Classic. It sounds as though the deal is fair, and they're treating you well. You'll thoroughly enjoy the appointments and the extra room. I also confess that I'm having a small pang of jealously that you, Jack and Eric are all jumping into brand new trailers!

Best of luck with the changeover, and it'd be great to see some photos!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:43 AM   #20
Contributing Member

Ready and waiting

The AS is sitting in the driveway all stripped of everything I can take off with a clear conscience (such as the sewer hose tubes I added underneath).

All of the contents are in my workshop and I can't believe it all came from that little trailer.

I'll tow it back to the storage yeard in a few minutes and then go to the hitch place for a set of 1000# bars to replace my 550# bars. I also need a bar with a longer drop to get the new tailer to ride level with the new truck which is a lot higher. The top of the ball is currently about 21" vs the 18 3/4" height of the trailer. The couple of inches may very well make the difference whether I can get the new trailer up the driveway or not.

Tuesday morning at 9:30, I will be pulling in at the dealer with the AS for the last time.
WBCCI #9632

Tags
2003 classic