Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2003, 10:01 PM   #41
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Chas
Pahaska,

She's a beauty!! Looks like you are gradually getting it squared away. Must be nice to get a new one and the toughest thing is to figure out where to put the trashcan.

Another thing, You have a bellypan now, right?

And another thing, how much is that covered storage running ya?
Thanks.

Yes, it does have the belly pan though I really haven't looked under there yet except to find the drain points.

Covered storage is $90 a month vs $40 for open storage, but I think I may get some break on insurance. I'm still negotiating on that.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
He's handsome! Congrats!

Quote:
I kept the little window shades that I had bought for the Fantastic Fans in the AS and installed them in the new trailer. On our first trip in the AS, the sun through the Fantastic fan in the bedroom hit my wife right in the face when we were trying to sleep in and I immediately bought the shades.
Same problem here!
Could you please post a pic of these?
It's part of our winter project. Curious to see your solution. Thanks
Old 10-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #43
Contributing Member

Re: He's handsome! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally posted by KIMILI

Same problem here!
Could you please post a pic of these?
It's part of our winter project. Curious to see your solution. Thanks
I don't have a photo, but you can find them on the Camping World site. That's where I bought mine by mail. They work quite nicely and look very nice.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #44
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There is another option.

Fantastic sells a translucent cover, or you can go with a fully opaque insulating one. The cover removal is just uncrew and rescrew to do it. Then when it is closed you have light blocking, open is just like it is now.

I have both types on my MH. The opaque cover blocks all light and it is also insulated so you will not have the closed vent as a heat source.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:27 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Smile

Thank you, they're on order.

Although I must tell you that when I first complained of the light in my eyes, my hubby suggested a blindfold! He didn't think it was necessary.

After reading your post about your wife he ordered them!

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2003, 11:25 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Pensacola , Florida
Thumbs up

John,

Been reading posts in response to your new buy. Congrats, and I know you will enjoy. We, too, have a 25' Classic Excella ('99 model) we just purchased used, on Labor Day. We love it, and have been making it "our own" for past two months. We replaced the curtains in the lounge, and re-upholstered the couch, and my wife made new bed coverings for the twin beds. I have removed the folding shower door and trim, and replaced it with matching wood trim molding and a fabric shower curtain. Gives us "wide bodies" additional manuevering room in the shower and makes it easier getting in and out. Does yours have the folding fg door, etc? Also, notice from your interior shots that ours is same, with different colors. What size is the TV? Replacing mine with newer , smaller one with options as you have. Also wondering about the space under the stove. Mine is open. Is yours covered with a screen or panel of some kind? We have one of the few wide bodies in our unit, and every one comments on the difference the extra 6 inches makes. And the 25' length seems just right for us.
Again, congrats and continued happy trailering.

73, Jim
WBCCI # 5652
Pensacola, Fl
Mystic Springs AS Park
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:40 AM   #47
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jalewis
John,
I have removed the folding shower door and trim, and replaced it with matching wood trim molding and a fabric shower curtain. Gives us "wide bodies" additional manuevering room in the shower and makes it easier getting in and out. Does yours have the folding fg door, etc? Also, notice from your interior shots that ours is same, with different colors. What size is the TV? Replacing mine with newer , smaller one with options as you have. Also wondering about the space under the stove. Mine is open. Is yours covered with a screen or panel of some kind? We have one of the few wide bodies in our unit, and every one comments on the difference the extra 6 inches makes. And the 25' length seems just right for us.
Again, congrats and continued happy trailering.

73, Jim
Not a bad idea at all removing the folding shower door. I have to disassemble the cat box to put it in the shower; it would go in easily without the door. As it is, I have to turn sideways to get in the shower. I'll keep that one in mind.

The TV is 9" flat tube. It is plenty big enough at that distance.

The area under the stove is covered with a piece of wood with open space below for airflow to the furnace.

First trip starts Saturday, but I am really pleased with the added space in the 25'. The extra width adds a lot of liveability. 25' is the longest trailer that I can turn in the cul-de-sac at the end of our street and anything much longer could be a problem on some of our Texas back roads with tight corners and drainage dips. I believe a 28' would drag a lot of places that I go. The 25 almost drags on the tight uphill turn into our street; I know that a 28' would bottom out.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-31-2003, 07:00 AM   #48
Contributing Member

Changes to come

This is the time of year when I spend hours in my woodworking shop. I have some ideas for small changes to "Sabre-Dog":
  • A laminated oak knife block by the spice rack
  • Move the small magazine rack from the galley end to the bedroom wall
  • Make a larger magazine rack for the galley end
Can anyone here tell me the name/brand of the stain used on the interior wood of the 2003 Classic line? Otherwise, I may have to experiment with scraps to get a match.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-31-2003, 07:14 AM   #49
Contributing Member

Stain color

I had a bright idea and just answered my own question re the stain color by doing a search on the 2003 Classic parts catalog. The color is "Saratoga Oak". No indication of the brand, but that color may very well be endemic to a single brand. I'll go searching for it when I return from my first trip in the new trailer.

The trailer is at the storage yard, packed and ready to go first thing tomorrow morning . Ordinarily, I would bring it home to pack, but tonight being Halloween, there is no way I will leave it at the curb overnight.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-09-2003, 06:20 PM   #50
Contributing Member

First trip

Just returned from an 8-day trip consisting of 3 tows of about 400 total miles; the longest tow was 162 miles. The Duramax gave me about 13 MPG on the first tow and nearly 15 MPG the second tow. I didn't check it coming home since there were a lot of non-towing miles on that tank.

The trailer tows easily with 1000# bars and a Reese sway bar.

The Classic has worlds better quality than my International. I did find several missing screws in the curtain track and I had some grief with the shower door, but other than that, everything worked and looked correctly.

The shower door is very constricted, so it is almost impossible bo get through without bumping it. The top and bottom rail easily pop out of place when this happens. I am very tempted to remove the door, trim the edges with oak, and put in a small shower curtain with velcro strips down each edge.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master

My '85 appears to have come originally with a curtain. It is quite convenient - any kind of door, folding or otherwise, would seem to me to be a nuisance.

MPG somewhere in the 14 range? Sounds about on par with what I hear from other Duramax owners. That is about what I get with my '94 Chevy diesel and '85 25' Sovereign. But you have about 120 more horsepower, and your coach weighs about 1,000 lbs. more. Mine is a 4X4, which hurts some.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:00 AM   #52
Contributing Member

Small things o do

The trailer is super comfortable compared to the International, but I came back from the first trip with a few "to-do" items.

I bought a double robe hook last night to go on the bedroom side of the wardrobe wall for a handy place to hang clothes overnight.

I want to add a towel bar in the shower. Apparently, the 2004s have one there. I'll take a look at a 2004 to determine where I will install it. As to removing the shower door, I'll have to take some time to decide on that.

The rear sliding cabinet door in the bathroom slides forward on every trip and the knob will eventually mar the adjacent door. I will add a bullet catch to the rear door to avoid this happening.

Having to open the lower cabinet and pull out a drawer to get out a knife is a drag. I will move the spice rack over the stove slightly to the left and build and install an oak knife block at the right end of the spice rack.

I keep cups and glasses in the cabinet over the pull-out pantry. The tall space is not well utilized. I will add a small shelf to hold koozies and the like.

I will build a larger magazine rack to replace the one by the door and move the present rack to the bedroom.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-10-2003, 08:28 AM   #53
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Small things o do

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
The trailer is super comfortable compared to the International, but I came back from the first trip with a few "to-do" items.

As to removing the shower door, I'll have to take some time to decide on that.
John,

I had a similar situation in the '85 motorhome. The shower door was plastic and hadn't been used in a very long time. The first time we opened it, it pulled off the tracks and broke.

I had looked as some new trailers that had a 'film' door rolled up into a case similar to a roller window shade. The door is self-storing, very light, and squeegees itself. It also stores in about 3" when retracted, and looks quite nice. I don't know if it would fit in your opening, but it might be worth exploring. We bought the one I installed at Camping World.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	film door.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	3748  
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:37 AM   #54
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Small things o do

Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

John,

I had a similar situation in the '85 motorhome. The shower door was plastic and hadn't been used in a very long time. The first time we opened it, it pulled off the tracks and broke.

I had looked as some new trailers that had a 'film' door rolled up into a case similar to a roller window shade. The door is self-storing, very light, and squeegees itself. It also stores in about 3" when retracted, and looks quite nice. I don't know if it would fit in your opening, but it might be worth exploring. We bought the one I installed at Camping World.

Roger
That's the same door that I have. It is fine in itself, but the opening is quite narrow to start with and the door probably takes up about 3" of the opening. Since we keep the cat box in the shower, it makes getting it in and out a bit hazardous. I have to turn sideways to get in and out of the shower.

Unfortunately, when my door was installed, the upper and lower tracks were cut just a bit short so that they are not held in place firmly. It is easy to bump the tracks out of place when entering of exiting the shower. I can probably just fix the lower track by simply gluing it in place with some silicone, but the upper track is more of a challenge since it is in the air.

I may just do away with the door in favor of a lightweight fabric curtain with velcro on the edges.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-10-2003, 08:45 AM   #55
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Re: Re: Small things o do

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska

That's the same door that I have. It is fine in itself, but the opening is quite narrow to start with and the door probably takes up about 3" of the opening. Since we keep the cat box in the shower, it makes getting it in and out a bit hazardous. I have to turn sideways to get in and out of the shower.

Unfortunately, when my door was installed, the upper and lower tracks were cut just a bit short so that they are not held in place firmly. It is easy to bump the tracks out of place when entering of exiting the shower. I can probably just fix the lower track by simply gluing it in place with some silicone, but the upper track is more of a challenge since it is in the air.

I may just do away with the door in favor of a lightweight fabric curtain with velcro on the edges.
If I recall correctly, the new one I installed was only a 'friction fit' with double-sided sticky tape that secured it to the woodwork. I didn't know how well it was going to hold to the wood, but it seemed to be OK when cut to the proper length.

Sounds like the curtain may be the best option for you...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:55 AM   #56
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Small things o do

Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

If I recall correctly, the new one I installed was only a 'friction fit' with double-sided sticky tape that secured it to the woodwork. I didn't know how well it was going to hold to the wood, but it seemed to be OK when cut to the proper length.

Sounds like the curtain may be the best option for you...

Roger
The sticky tape on mine didn't survive the trip from the factory to the dealer, probably because the top and bottom rods were cut too short. The tech used silicone to reattach the case to the wall (which has held quite well), but that left the top and bottom rods somewhat loose. I have yet to take a shower that I haven't had to reassemble something.

Given the cat box problem, the door will probably go away.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-10-2003, 09:23 AM   #57
Rivet Master

"Having to open the lower cabinet and pull out a drawer to get out a knife is a drag"

Isn't it, though? This is the one area where I see the old tambour door as an advantage - it could simply be left open when one is preparing meals. I solved the problem by building a drawer above the furnace and below my microwave and cooktop. Obviously at the expense of the oven, however.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 classic