Originally posted by jcanavera
John,
Wasn't your International a wide body?

Jack
Jack,

You turn rookie/newbie on us?

First the toga comment, now this.....

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I've got the McKesh and love 'em. They're a little awkward with the window rail dip of the Superduties, but it's workable.

The Ford TT mirrors don't extend out far enough for a widebody. They have a main mirror up top, and a small convex I keep aimed at the rear tires to see where they're going.

In addition to these, I have some 4.5" add-on convexes specifically made to fit between the Ford TT mirror arms to eliminate the blind spots when not towing.

Add the McKesh outboard of the retracted Ford mirrors, with THEIR 4.5" convexes, and we have FIVE mirrors on each side. No blind spots here! LOL! Guess I could've opted not to buy the convexes on the McKesh, but WTH.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:16 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

Jack,

You turn rookie/newbie on us?

First the toga comment, now this.....

Eric
Hey I didn't know. You learn something every day. I had to do my drug screening for the new job today so we will find if my latest round of incoherence is drug related.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:36 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Hey I didn't know. You learn something every day. I had to do my drug screening for the new job today so we will find if my latest round of incoherence is drug related.

Jack
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:40 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: 2003 25' Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
I just committed to trade my 2003 International AS for a 2003 25' Classic. The difference I am paying is almost exactly the difference between the MSRP on mine when I purchased it and the MSRP of the new trailer. Considering that mine has been used now for 17 1/2 months and almost 10,000 miles, I think I got a really fair deal from them.

Congratulations, John!

I confess I'm surprised to hear that you're trading off your trailer, but not surprised that you're going with the 25' Classic. It sounds as though the deal is fair, and they're treating you well. You'll thoroughly enjoy the appointments and the extra room. I also confess that I'm having a small pang of jealously that you, Jack and Eric are all jumping into brand new trailers!

Best of luck with the changeover, and it'd be great to see some photos!

Roger
Old 10-18-2003, 10:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Ready and waiting

The AS is sitting in the driveway all stripped of everything I can take off with a clear conscience (such as the sewer hose tubes I added underneath).

All of the contents are in my workshop and I can't believe it all came from that little trailer.

I'll tow it back to the storage yeard in a few minutes and then go to the hitch place for a set of 1000# bars to replace my 550# bars. I also need a bar with a longer drop to get the new tailer to ride level with the new truck which is a lot higher. The top of the ball is currently about 21" vs the 18 3/4" height of the trailer. The couple of inches may very well make the difference whether I can get the new trailer up the driveway or not.

Tuesday morning at 9:30, I will be pulling in at the dealer with the AS for the last time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:29 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I made my last trip with the Safari to the dealer last Saturday. I'm also sitting with a garage full of stuff awaiting storage in the yet to be built Classic. I always felt we were lean on things we carry but as I unpacked I looked at things that I haven't even used in 2 1/2 years. We will be doing a review of what goes back in.

I upgraded to 1000 lb bars when I bought the Safari. I assume they will be ok for the Classic although the hitch weight goes from the Safari's 740 to the Classic's 910 lbs.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 03:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Just couldn't stay away

On a beautiful 75-degree afternoon, I dropped off the trailer at the storage yard and my truck just naturally drove me to the dealers; I had no choice but to go along.

My new Classic was parked by the shop door and the tech was busy fixing the several small bugs I had found and readying it for delivery. I was pleased to find a tech that I respect doing the job quite thoroughly including such items as siliconing all of the window seals so the windows won't stick.

I had such a great feeling just going through the trailer. Try as I could, I found nothing to gripe about. The trailer was built 4/03 and, except for one crooked piece of trim behind a curtain that I already knew about, the workmanship appears to be immaculate.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2003, 03:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
I'm also sitting with a garage full of stuff awaiting storage in the yet to be built Classic. I always felt we were lean on things we carry but as I unpacked I looked at things that I haven't even used in 2 1/2 years. We will be doing a review of what goes back in.Jack
I made rough sketches of all of the storage spaces in the trailer with rough dimensions and made a computer list of exactly what goes where. I did this on the last trailer, also, and find that it really makes packing the new trailer efficient.

It is very easy to move things around in Word until I am satisfied with the arrangement. Last time, my list was about 95% accurate so that there was very little juggling with items.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Is there a rule of thumb on what weight hitch bars you should use.

I know you don't want too high as that will make the ride stiff or too low so that they don't give you the leveling effect.

Ken J.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
My opinion only

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Johansen
Is there a rule of thumb on what weight hitch bars you should use.

I know you don't want too high as that will make the ride stiff or too low so that they don't give you the leveling effect.

Ken J.
Generally speaking, the next rating of spring bar above the published hitch weight of the trailer.

An exception may be when the truck is heavy duty compared to the size of the trailer. I was quite happy with 550# bars for my International AS which had a tongue weight of about 650# because I was towing it with a full size pickup. Especially now with the 2500HD. The same trailer with a lighter tow vehicle would probably need the 750# bars.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-19-2003, 12:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Getting closer

I just ordered my new vinyl WBCCI numbers and my new vinyl trailer name "Sabre-Dog". I'll have my numbers back on before the next WBCCI rally.

I'm very pleased with the way the dealer is preparing the new trailer. When I was there yesterday, the tech was changin the connectors on the propane tank readouts to a better connector that will not tend to pull off the wire in use. That was a little thing that they could easily have ignored.

Tomorrow morning the cleaning crew takes over. I have watched them work, a couple of little Hispanic ladies, and I know that it will be immaculate when I pick it up Tuesday morning.

I have a lot of respect for Camper Clinic. With all the problems I had on the AS, they got me right in and did a fine job of correcting the situation. I was happy to buy there again even though I am a lot more savvy now and the Classic is obviously a lot better put together than the International was.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Getting closer

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
the Classic is obviously a lot better put together than the International was.
It's a very small data sample, but we noticed the same thing between our 34 Limited, and the 30 and 31 Classics without the Limited package, sitting on the lot beside it. Not that it was perfect, but the other two had some obvious flaws that were let leave the plant.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Her new home

From now on, I will not have to worry quite so much about my trailer being stored in an area that very often gets hail year 'round. A little sun protection, also for those scorching Texas summer days.

The big motorhomes behind me are hooked to 30a services. I should be able to get some 120v power from their outside outlets when needed. I need to strike up acquaintance with one or more owners for that purpose.

And, No, I didn't back into that rainspout. That was done by some prior tenant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-home.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	3601  

WBCCI #9632

Tags
2003 classic