Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Fresh water/plumbing questions...

The '71 has a fitting curbside to fill the fresh water tank and it's also got a fitting on the back bumper street side that looks like a garden hose.

I'm thinking its a closed system and if I hook up a garden hose, the fresh water tank will fill? Is that correct? Mice ate part of the fresh water tank so that needs replacing.

I assume the old Bowen water heater will fill too. That needs to be changed also.

Original water pump will be changed.

Is there a reason to change the pressure regulator? I don't know if there are parts in there that go bad.

I'm thinking that I'll change to Pex. I think this AS spent all its time in So. Ca so I'm not concerned about split copper pipes but while I'm fixing all the systems I might as well do this too. I'm hoping to buy all the parts locally. No matter how much I plan it out, I'm sure I'll need something I forgot.

I think there are 5 drain valves (3 under the galley and 2 in the rear). I guess it's best to add hot and cold valves to the faucets, water heater and shower too.

I know '71 doesn't have a grey water tank. I thought sink and shower water drained into the black water tank but I read somewhere on here it just dumps on the ground. If it does, then I guess I need a tote.

Anything else I need to know about the plumbing?

Thanks for the help.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
Greetings Craig, I'd love to help, but I'm newer and less experienced than you!
I'm still trying to find the fresh water tank.
I'm so green that I haven't even found the drain valves..

I watched these videos the other day, TV shows always make everything look so easy.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kenwinning/videos

They replace the water pump in this video.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
When it is working correctly hooking a hose to the water inlet connector does not fill the fresh water tank. There is a check valve in the outlet line from the pump that lets water pass into the trailer plumbing but does not let it pass back into the freshwater tank. Also there is a check valve on the hose water inlet that lets water into the trailer but not back out the fill connection. That way when it is working correctly either the pump or the hose inlet will pressurize the water system. So if the check valve in front of the pump is working you can just hookup the hose and run the trailer.
Yes, the water heater probably fills with the water connected. Some trailers have a water heater bypass valve that can be set so that the water heater does not fill. Often used in winterizing the trailer. But if yours does not have this add on valve then the water heater will fill.

I reccomend getting a PEX crimper, some PEX tubing, and some crimp rings. I would change any line I worked on to PEX. That way it is very easy to add shutoff valves or plug lines. Cost about $50 to $75 to get setup with tools, PEX, and some fittings. But it will pay big dividends in the future.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I didn't think I was making much progress until I read my post from March.

I removed the galley and cleaned the furnace, changed the water pump and put the galley back with new tambour.

Removed the old Bowen water heater yesterday and I'm putting in a new Atwood this week.

I removed and had the black tank repaired and replaced.

I started to remove the freshwater tank today. I picked up a new one when the black tank was being repaired.

I'm keeping the copper lines for now. I was going to change them but a guy at the RV storage lot/mechanic suggested I keep the copper if it looks ok.

I changed out the city water hose connection because the old one was corroded. All the parts were at Home Depot.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote