Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Insulation used in Classic Limited series - 2004?

The summer before last when my wife and I toured the Airstream factory we saw they were using a different type of insulation under the floor in the Limited series only, and the tour guide said (as I recall) that it was rather expensive, and a more effective insulation than that used in other models. I think he said the insulation originated in the aerospace industry.

Does anyone have more information about this insulation. Are they still using it in 2004 models? And, if it is more effective, I wonder whether a person could special order an entire trailer insulated with it?

John
Old 01-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
That insulation is used in the walls and ceiling also. It is a higher R value. Our tour guide said it was used in the Limited trailers only, but I bet they would upgrade for a price.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I believe they are still using it in the Classic line. I also agree with Jack that they might install it into the Safari and CCD lines at additional cost.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I believe that the foil bubble type insulation is only used under the floor and only in the Slide Out Trailers. They were not able to use the fiberglass insulation under the floor due the slideout mechanism.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Thank you for your replies. I like the idea of the extra R value since we routinely camp in temperatures exceeding 100 degrees, as well as below freezing.

John
Old 01-22-2004, 07:27 AM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I believe they are still using it in the Classic line. I also agree with Jack that they might install it into the Safari and CCD lines at additional cost.
Eric, the Classics have the same insulation as your Safari does. Its just the units with the "Limited" moniker that get the better stuff.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think you're right...as I think about it that week I visited the factory, there were mostly all Classic LTDs on the line.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

The airstream trailers are built using fiberglass insulation in the walls (shell). All trailer models.The foil insulation is only used in the floors on slideout units.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Lynn,
Do you know if A/S allows the insulation that they put into the Limited's to be ordered as an option for their other trailers?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
When I had my Scamp with an uninsulated floor, after spending a summer week in Las Vagas, I insulated the floor with the foil-bubble insulation. It worked great. Scamp insulates the upper part of the trailer with the same material. It is glued to the fiberglass shell with contact cement and a fabric, very much like in current Airstreams, is glued to the foil. The Scamp was a very snug trailer once I did the floor.

The foil-bubble insulation conforms nicely to curved surfaces. If I were working with a vintage unit and had inner panels off, I would certainly use the material in place of the fiberglass bats.

In my Scamp, I also insulated the walls of the refrigerator cabinet to keep heat out of the interior. Prior to that, the pantry would get terribly hot inside.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
When did they start using the better insulation in the Limited. Mine is an '83. Is that to far back?

David
Old 04-25-2004, 06:30 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Foil insulation

I would not say the foil is any better insulation wise than fiberglass batt insulation.
It offers some features fiberglass cannot such as: it is thinner and it is not as "itchy" to work with. It is also more expensive.
I do not believe it is an option but it may be something they would do as a "special order", you would need to contact factory. They started using this insulation on the Limited slideout trailers in 1999.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Is this it?....

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:28 PM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
I would not say the foil is any better insulation wise than fiberglass batt insulation.
According to the tour guide doing the Airstream factory tour the insulation used on the Limiteds does have a higher R value.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-25-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Well I just got back from my weekly trip to Lowes and I looked at their inventory of this insulation. Looks pretty good and is available in multiple width dimensions. I think this is what I am going to use on the under side.

There is a double thick available thru insulation companies that I will investigate.

I like the idea of it being a "neat" install. Although FibreGlass does not absorb water, it sure gets soggy and matted and it does hold dust and dirt.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:08 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

One question would be, does insulation in the floors/roof matters very much if heat loss occurs primarily through the windows? It seems double-lane windows are a big upgrade over single-pane.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #17
Craftsman

Jack, accordding to Vicky at the factory the Limiteds use the same insulation as all the other models, and the idea that the Limiteds has a higher R-value insulation is just not true. I asked Vicky "then why are people reporting that this is stated on the tour, and she replied that she knew or had heard that they were saying this, didn't know why and it isn't the case. The only difference in insulation was in the slide out portion ONLY.This seems to be a myth that just won't die.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Lots of misinformation on the tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I asked Vicky "then why are people reporting that this is stated on the tour, and she replied that she knew or had heard that they were saying this, didn't know why and it isn't the case.
Our tour guide waved a section of Henschen axle that had a gear-shaped shaft. He loudly claimed that this is what sets Henschen apart from "that other axle company".

When we toured the Henschen plant, the first thing I noticed was that every axle being built had a square shaft. I asked the manager and he said that they had briefly tried using the gear-shaped shaft quite a while in the past. It was very expensive to machine the shafts and they didn't work a bit better than the square shaft so they went to the square shaft.

The Henschen site shows square shafts, but, as I recall, the Airstream site still shows the gear-shaped shafts. I tried to find the tour guide later to tell him he was wrong, but I was unable to catch him.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:22 AM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
This seems to be a myth that just won't die.
You would think they would talk to the source, Don the tour guide and straighten him out on this matter. He is the guy weaving that tale!
Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #20
Craftsman

I agree, the tour guide should get the facts straight. Although it sounds good, if it isn't true they shouldn't be saying it. It seems like an awful lot of people are walking away thinking that if they choose the Classic or Limited that it's better insulated. Just another great upgrade if you go with the top of the line. I was told that the only place that you'll find the foil faced bubble insulation is in the slide out itself. Maybe that's what he's refering to?

Tags
2004 classic