Old 12-01-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Newbie needs your advice

We ordered our first TT and have always used a tent when we went camping. We would like to know what we need to buy for the AS like plugs, extension cords, valves, hoses, and things like duck-tape? The dealer says we will receive a packet that will have most of the items we will need but we have learned so much on this forum we wanted to ask the pros. Our TT will be a 2004 25B Safari.

mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IMHO 2 gotta haves, 2@ 25' drinking water hoses, and a 25' 30 amp power extension cord. I have been caught short twice and it ain't gonna happen again! You will probably want to look into leveling devices(Lynx Levelers, wood blocks, etc), yard furniture(folding chairs) and don't forget the all important PINK Flamingoes

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

This pink flamingo issue is not as simple as it appears at first sight, either. The standards keep getting ratcheted up. I was in a campground last Thursday and saw a fiver with five pink flamingos - three on wires in the ground, one inflatible on a flagpole, and one self-illuminated at night!

You must have some means of leveling and chocking. There is no parking brake, and once disconnected you must prevent your coach from rolling away, so some kind of chocks are a necessity - even if just 10" long 4X4s. A set of leveling blocks is, if not required, at least very, very uselful. Many of us use lengths of 2X8s, but your RV dealer will offer other options.

I doubt the new units come with any kind of sewage drain hose, either, but some RV dealers include a small kit of such necessities.

From there, only your tow vehicle weight rating is the limit.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Talking A few more items

An adapter to plug your 30 amp trailer into a 20amp outlet (no A/C). Another one for plugging it into a 50 amp outlet. Check to see if your lug wrench from the truck fits the nuts on the trailer wheels. A spare tire. A small extension cord for powering the party lites hanging from your awning (either mini-airstreams or more pink flamingos)
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:06 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My dealer originally supplied me with a 10' sewer hose, 25' water hose, a 30 to 20 amp adapter and some toilet paper.

Then I bought:

Lynx Levelers, wheel chocks, a tandem wheel lock, hitch lock, small lock to protect the battery box, warning triangles, 25' 30 amp extension cord, a folding platform step (since the Safari only had one step), a broom to sweep the awning off, a hitch pin, a Prest-o-Fit quick connect and its companion universal sewer adapter, a Slunky Sewer hose support, a Camco E-Z Water Tank filler, a water hose entry elbow, a Y water splitter with valves, a heavy duty 20' sewer hose, a sewer terminator cap with a hose adapter, an astro turf patio mat, a small foot mat to wipe my feet on, 3 bottles of Walbernize Super Seal, some environmentally friendly toilet chemical, a two step aluminum ladder so I could reach the awning wheel lock by hand and a 50' coax cable tv line.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This thread could almost be merged with one started by Maurice only 1 month ago: New Trailer Shopping List

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Trailer List

I took all of the items you guys said we would need for our new TT and put it in word. All of the item numbers are from Camper World. Thank for the replies. We have a lot of shopping to do at Camper World.
Attached Files
File Type: doc airstream list.doc (26.5 KB, 172 views)
mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Maybe...

You might want to consider a wheellock as well..I know alot of people use those wheel chock but...When it comes to really locking the wheels down..Nothing works as well.`!
For safety sake, these are the first thing I put on before disconnecting the A/S from my Burb when setting up the campsite or, the last things I take off before leaving the campsite..
Just my .02 worth..

ciaowheel locks
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Canoe'stream
This thread could almost be merged with one started by Maurice only 1 month ago: New Trailer Shopping List
LOL! As I was reading this thread, I was wondering, "didn't I post something like this awhile back?" I couldn't remember! ROTFL! Thanks for refreshing my memory, Bob.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
another good thing: A foam knee pad - the gardeners kind - for kneeling on wet surfaces at dump sites!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
mopar7 -- The WD hitch won't change the fact you've redistributed 40 pounds of beer onto the tow vehicle's GVWR if you follow John's "active program" advice. .... Unless he has some way of eliminating the excess fluid? John??

I would like to add ideas of checklists and their usefulness to the used and new trailer. See these FWIW:

How to inspect an Airstream and Argosy TT

Ok, I’m leaving tomorrow to go get…

Check Lists

… and for the ultimate in priorities and saving time for camping, look at BobbyW’s third post and checklist just over halfway down this thread.

Somewhere in these forums is a thread on what tools folks carry when traveling. Just stop planning at some point and hit the road -- Hope your purchase arrives soon!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-09-2003, 11:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
mopar7 -- I hope you're still with us after "we" hijacked that thread a while. Searching for other matters I ran across what I'd mentioned in my Dec. 7 post: Emergency parts

Use some judgement here. How long and how far away from home? How remote? But it's good to think about such things.

Ahhh, the imagining we can do in winter.....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Ah yes you guys did hijack this thread. For the sake of continuity I split most of the beer talk to a new subject called Beer and Airstreams over in the off-topic section of Our Community. Have a blast! http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=8295

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Trailer List

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar7
I took all of the items you guys said we would need for our new TT and put it in word. All of the item numbers are from Camper World. Thank for the replies. We have a lot of shopping to do at Camper World.
Hit Walmart first. A lot of those items can be found there and save you quite a bit of cash. I know you can get the hoses and cords there. I was looking at them last week.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote