Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2003, 09:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Finally, a decision...I think.

Hey, all.

After much deliberation, re-analysis, and review of various permutations of tow vehicle/trailer, my wife and I have decided on a 20003 A/S Safari 25' 6 sleeper (if any 2003's are still available) for our 2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3L V8 4wd 4.10 ar. A few q's before calling the dealer though....

1) What's the difference between the 25C and 25SS. I've seen this 6 sleeper floorplan referred to with the above 2 names? Is it just model year name change?

2) Has anyone purchased the 25 6 sleeper and regretted it a few days/weeks/months/years later and wish they chose the twin/full bed option or wish they got a longer trailer? Any other grips I should know about this model? Why? It seems the 27 or 28' Safaris do not offer more furniture, just a little more space in the bathroom and bedroom. It seems that one has to get into the 30' plus TTs to see a big difference in liveability.

3) Options. Sounds like a spare tire and 2nd Fantastic Fan are good choices. What about a power hitch assist/lift? Stone guards? Forward window cover? How much do these cost roughly? Is it worth it? Any other options you all would suggest?

4) Fabric choices. Is there a list of all the choices, and a place to view pictures. Can't find it on the A/S site.

Thanks,
Abe
Old 10-05-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Finally, a decision...I think.

Abe,

Just a model year name change...there are cosmetic differences between '03 and '04, but the 25C is the 6 sleeper. If cost is an issue, and you can find an '03 great, but if cost is not an issue, I'd go for an '04. For starters there are fewer Q.C. issues (hopefully).

There really isn't a bunch to regret. If you want a bigger bed, then the option is to go with a different model. I like the 30' that is to come out in the 1st quarter of '04, but in reality, the Safari SS is a bit more than I need now and in the future.

Technically, I've started the purchase process and have ZERO regrets (unless the quality is the same as the '03s were).

The stone guards, one fantasitc fan, power front jack, spare tire are ALL part of the Safari upgrade package. It also includes Aquajet pump, A/C upgrade from 11k BTU to 13.5k BTU unit, black tank flush, screen guards and one touch galley faucets. It costs about $2100 and if you are getting half of them outside the pkg, you might as well bite the bullet and go all the way. I also upgraded further to the 15k BTU A/C unit with the comfort controls as the Classic. I also go the ultraleather and Spice Trader interior fabric.

While on the subject of fabrics, I did not like Amrillo, Stratus or Spellbound. Spice Trader seemed like a good fit for me. Take a look at the Airstream site for the stratus and this site for the Amirillo:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/7119.html

For Spice trader and/or Spellbound look at the search too on the forum. They are posted. I asked and 2 folks posted so I know for sure they are here.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
The biggest difference between the 2003 and 2004 models will be more along styling. Forinstance, I had the opportunity to have a 2003 25C pull in next to my 2004 SS.

Differences as I recall.

1. I had linoleum - in a wood 'pergo' print all the way through the trailer minus the small section of carpet by the front gaucho. They had all carpet.

2. I have an aluminum back splash - they did not (kitchen area).

3. All of my cabinet tops and table tops were all black where theirs were white.

4. The fabric choices were drastically different.

5. I had additional pull out pantry shelves.

6. Totally different sized fridge. In fact they actually had issues with their fridge such that it could not stay cold so I stored their goods for them during the course of the weekend.

There were some other minor differences (I think number of batteries were one of them)... but all in all - personally I would recommend the '04 over the '03 unless you truly save a good chunk of change and go through everything well.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Eric,

Thanks for the info! BTW, how 'bout them Cubbies! I'm a Colorado transplant from the Windy City.

I took a look at the A/S site. Which name goes with which fabric on the 19 and 28 foot model Safari (virtual tours)?

Abe
Old 10-06-2003, 04:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Hey Jody, when we gonna see some pictures of it in your Photo Gallery? ;-)
Old 10-06-2003, 06:29 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Abe,

It's been a long time comin' here in Wrigleyville!

The interior on the 19' is Amarillo, the interior on the 28' is Spellbound.

The reason your table tops are black Jody, I believe is because you have the Amarillo option. That option makes all countertops black and maybe a few other small things besides fabric....here is an '04 Safari SS with the Stratus fabrics and you'll see that not only are the countertops white, but the alum inserts on the stove and fridge are also no there. Also, it was my understanding that the fabrics are the same as they were in '03, except for the introduction of Spice Trader (from the Classic line) which from what Vicki at Airstream told me, besides fabric also adds a few of the Classic spot lighting in the dinette area....anyway onto the URL to see the non-Amarillo option....

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/7111.html

The only other thing I am unsure about is the fridge. The unit in the picture on the Airstrem website (linked below which is clearly an '03 still) looks identical in size and shape (minus color) to the one in the url above which there is no doubt is an '04.

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...afari_int.html

I totally second Jody when I say, if going new, go '04 or wait to see what's in store in '05. I suspect the new '05s will be rolling off the line in March or April of '04. I say this because as I took home my '03 Bambi in mid-Feb, I seem to recall a few folks posting I think in April, that they had a titled '04 model year already at that time. Of course from then to now, I think a few small change were made...one of which if you look at that Colonial Airstream (actual thumbnail pics not the generic Safari at the top) and compare it to the current Airestream website pics you'll see that the outer center seam (beltline as some like to call it) is now totally riveted on the outside compared to '03 and I believe early '04 where they had a trim piece that hid the two pieces of aluminum where they met.

Moe, I don't have the URL handy, but Jody has about 15+ shots of his unit on his website.....Jody, mabye you should post a link on your sig or something?

Eric
Old 10-06-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I found it....

This is the link to Jody's 04' Safari.....

http://wbcb.com/PhotoGroup/Airstream...4/default.aspx
Old 10-06-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Thanks Eric! They sure pack a lot into 25'!
Old 10-08-2003, 08:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hi Abe,
Personally I think the 25 C is a great size, I have no regrets. I will say however based on my limited experience,that a 27-28' model is in no way over kill, even for two people. As far as buying goes, if your going to buy new off a dealers lot , I would make my best deal, and insist on ordering from the factory. Also I would probably opt for the upgrade package. Best of luck ......... Al
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #10

Thumbs up

I bought a 2004 Safari 25 SS with the Amarillo package. I have had it for a month and have been out camping for 2 weekends. I love it, my wife likes it much more than the sailboat I traded in for the Airstream. I towed mine home from Irvine, Ca. to San Diego, Ca. some 90 miles. It towed like a dream. I had the dealer install the Lindon Equal-i-zer hitch and am very happy with the whole thing.
Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Teleman
I bought a 2004 Safari 25 SS with the Amarillo package. I have had it for a month and have been out camping for 2 weekends. I love it, my wife likes it much more than the sailboat I traded in for the Airstream. I towed mine home from Irvine, Ca. to San Diego, Ca. some 90 miles. It towed like a dream. I had the dealer install the Lindon Equal-i-zer hitch and am very happy with the whole thing.
I can't relate!

Congrats on the new coach!
Old 02-01-2004, 11:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to dpope
2) Has anyone purchased the 25 6 sleeper and regretted it a few days/weeks/months/years later and wish they chose the twin/full bed option or wish they got a longer trailer? Any other grips I should know about this model? Why? It seems the 27 or 28' Safaris do not offer more furniture, just a little more space in the bathroom and bedroom. It seems that one has to get into the 30' plus TTs to see a big difference in liveability.
__________________________________________________ __

Don't get me wrong. We really enjoy our Airstream. We do wish now that we had choosen something with a different bathroom and bed design.

1. I Can't shut the bathroom door when sitting. I'm 6'2" 260 lbs. I can't change my height, but I could afford to loose a little poundage. My wife and kids don't have a problem.

2. Making the bed is kind of difficult. You have to crawl over to access corners etc.

3. We have also had a few quality issues. Look at our past posts.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I have a 1999 25' Safari full bed option. I love my Safari and am glad I started with the 25' size to get towing experience and it has been an awesome five years. But I am trading up in February to a 30' Classic. It took one sitting in it too know I wanted the extra length and livibility.

A few reaons why:

My Safari bathroom is too small. Period. the shower is out of the question.

In the kitchen, there is little counter space and cabinets. (I am short one cabinet as I had one converted to a microwave)

The bed is a major pain to make.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We looked at the 25 long and hard but chose the 27 instead. The reason against the 25 was the corner bed and for the 27 was the double closets across from the side bath.

The downer's and regrets? We chose the dual twins. Ok for me but my wife didn't like sleeping against the curved wall. The 27 had no dinette. We thought the slide out table would surfice but we didn't like having to eat with one person seated on the sofa.

I'm sure we may come up with something on the new Classic but its early in the game.

It reminds me of getting a different house. You never get entirely what you want and you end up compromising somewhere. And if you build it new you either forget something or can't afford it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I agree Jack. Another reason for the trade up to the 30' Classic was for the dinette. I am tired of only having the foldup table.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We would have liked to have the dinette in our's, but since the space to store it determined our trailer's size the 25 is all we can have for now. Seeing that we had a 17' SOB for the past 2 yrs. I'm sure the extra space of the 25 will be welcome. Another good point was made here...We wonder what it is that we overlooked when weighing all the options. We're just going to have to get out, have some fun, and start on the new wish list. Only time will tell.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpope
[B]2) Has anyone purchased the 25 6 sleeper and regretted it a few days/weeks/months/years later and wish they chose the twin/full bed option or wish they got a longer trailer?

Of course it's just human nature to want the next best thing, however, most of the shortcomings of the 25' I have to put into perspective.

1) We don't fulltime

2) It's an RV that we use for 4-5 weeks out of the year give or take a few weeks depending on weather. Again, going camping to us is to somewhat rough it a bit (granted that's not everyone's take).

3) We didn't want to lug around a house with us. True the Bambi was good, but the Safari is much better. Classic would be nice, but for us, even as we have kids, the Safari will be more than we need.

4) I'm not 6ft tall and spend as little time in the bathroom as possible.

5) The Safari line in general is one of the most practical (given that even the entry level Airstream costs a fortune!).

Plusses to the 25':

- Sink covers extend the counter space of the kitchen.

- Dual sink

- Dual fridge

- Dual axle

- Storage (particularly on the Safari "C") is beyond great. I have both the dinette and the front couch.

- Compared to the 22' unit, the side dinette has full leg room and no wheel well taking a bit less than half the leg room

- Weight. The Safari weighs less, offers similar amenities and is a great value when compared to other Airstreams. It is also much easier to tow with not the largest, biggest, baddest truck out there. This also can translate into fuel savings.

All in all it's what you make of it. After having the Bambi, we had some regrets similar to some folks in regards to the overall quality of that unit, then the space issues started to come into play.

We are beyond pleased with our 25' Safari C and if given the same choices, with money being no object, I still think we'd go Safari and most likely even have stuck with the Safari C or some other 25' Safari version.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

We have a 25' and have seldom purchased anything that turned out to be so suitable in every way.

Ours is not at all like the six-sleeper, however. We have no dinette, no corner bath.

I thought the folding table would be a pain, but it has turned out to be a non-issue. The side bath is plenty for us. The storage is simply phenominal. Towing is very comfortable, as is backing and fitting into smaller spaces at state campgrounds. If necessary, we could easily live comfortably for several weeks at a time. The only downside was the nonexistent counter space, but I took steps to solve that problem. With the six-sleeper you can use the dinette as additional counter space.

BUT!!! There are only two of us.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote