Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Now that I am facing it as a practical issue I have discovered just how much of a pain it is to access the water pump. What moron plumbed that thing where it is? I MAY be able to disconnect the discharge side, but even that will require some contortions I haven't done since my karate days. The suction side is buried under the drain from the sink.
Dumb question— and remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people asking them— can you unbolt the whole pump and pull it out far enough to disconnect the suction side?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Protagonist...that definitely falls into the "forest for the trees" category. I am going to take a look at that in the morning. If there is enough slack in the suction line I will put the "kit" in there. .......silently skulking away...nursing the stinging sensation from my forehead slap.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 09-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #17
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I solved the generator problem. Traded off pour Interstate for a Roadtrek CS Adventurous with engine generator and no propane.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I solved the generator problem. Traded off pour Interstate for a Roadtrek CS Adventurous with engine generator and no propane.
I prefer to drop the tire vs. losing what you lost on your trade in.

I also can't for the love of god figure out why RT puts those fake windows above the windshield
Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
They must have moved the spare or the generator on the newer models as I can just remove the access panel and then unscrew the dipstick and remove to check the oil level. Replacing the oil did require a suction gun tho.

I agree on the fake windows. So did the salesman I talked to.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Can't quite get the dipstick out without lowering just a little and then pushing the tire just an inch or two.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #21
BikerBill

Ron CA, the "fake windows" is a Roadtrek thing. Been doing it since they started raising the roof on the Dodge then Chevy vans. On the Chevy the windows actually are windows. They continued with the Mercedes just because its at "Roadtrek Thing."

As for loss in trade in. Yup, took a hit but also moved up from what I wanted but was not available a year ago to what I now can get. No generator, no Suburban furnace, no propane, E-trek with generator from the MB engine, more batteries and a 5000 watt inverter.

I know there is a significant difference in the cabinetry between AI and RT, but at least RT "has" latches on the overhead cabinets. Our first trip with the AI and around a left corner the overhead came open and all our dishes up there went crashing to the floor. Been carrying those dishes for over 20 years in 3 prior Class A's and never had them fall, until AI because of no latches on overheads.

I now will have a decent pair of doors to open for the bathroom instead of the stupid single door in the AI and the crazy/noisey "extra" room door. I will have a decent inverter, no longer a 1000 watt one. Easier to drain water tank as it has a valve instead of a plug on the bottom of the tank.

Life is tradeoffs and some times you pay for them. Our choice, its still allowed in the USA, at least for now it is.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I like RTs, I really wish RT would stop with the windows though. I know some on the chevy platform have real windows and that's cool because they provide some light, but the vinyl stickers are just Arggg.....You should peel yours off. Come on be the 1st

You do have some cool technology and will be interested in your feedback, pros and cons.

Love my cabinetry, especially since I took the file to the edges and got rid of the sharpness. Can't imagine them flying open around a corner. Thay don't call you Mario BB for nuthin
Old 09-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Yes they do fly open happens to me with my laptop.
First I sought they lock with the push bottom but no that is only to pull. There are some knobs the will lock but I could not find anything in the same size.
Good luck with your RT if I purchased now I would have picked the same as you.
Peter

Old 09-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
Yes they do fly open happens to me with my laptop.
First I sought they lock with the push bottom but no that is only to pull. There are some knobs the will lock but I could not find anything in the same size.
Good luck with your RT if I purchased now I would have picked the same as you.
Peter

I've had mine come open because the hinge screws pulled out from the door. Also had one come off hinge when opening. That's when I discovered they were fastened with only 3/8" screws. I upgraded them all to 3/4" - just long enough to not penetrate the outer laminate layer.

I've also located a source of some locking knobs that I think will work. I'll be trying them later in the fall when I get home from this 3 month Alaska adventure. I'll post results if they work.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'm wondering if they changed the hinges after 2011 because my over-center hinges make the overhead doors difficult to open. Never had any doors come open but then I do try to keep all six wheels on the pavement when cornering.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
That is another problem the 6 wheels on the street and the upper cabinet moving a feet left to right.
I just don't put everything heavy up there anymore. Still would feel more comfortable if they would lock.
My drawer under the burner is also open constantly by know I know how to counter steer and close it again.
Better sway control would help to keep everything closed.
Peter

Old 09-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #27
BikerBill

Now that's a good another good "reason" I can claim on my changeover to Roadtrek: they use latches on all cabinets and drawers, unlike Airstream. But there is much issues with RT latches as I will soon find out.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Any B-class van without issues would not be fun.
I am sure you will find some with the RT.