Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Yellow Check Engine - Reduced performance

So first little day trip today... Family was doing a 5k about an hour away. Loaded everyone up in the RV for our first little day trip. Getting there... no issues. Before leaving started seeing some issues with the Fusion system (mentioned in other thread).

On way to AI dealer to pick up a couple things (was missing a TB chair and swapping out a chipped glass) stopped for some diesel. First time to add fuel. Then not sure if it was related but what I thought was just high headwinds (was real gusty today 20-25mph) probably was sluggish behavior. Got to the AI dealer and after getting stuff and getting ready to leave the Yellow Engine light came on. Their service department was already closed and we had a boy that needed to get home for prom.

One the way home the RV was very sluggish up hill. Downhill or smooth it would get up to 70mph etc. But there was a few long small inclines where it didn't want to get past 50mph.

From reading the manual and other posts here, it seems like it is the Injection Control. This would be a Mercedes Shop thing right? Anything else I should check prior to the visit?

Outside of that great first trip. Family had a great time...
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Yes - take it to a Sprinter dealer and have it checked.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
The thing that jumps out to me is the fuel stop. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the fact that your problem started right after fueling is a little concerning, especially with the symptoms you describe. Are you absolutely sure you put diesel in the tank and not gasoline? If you did put in diesel, I think I would inclined to go back to the station, put pint of the diesel in a fuel can and give it the smell test. It could be contaminated fuel. I always wondered if there was a way a delivery truck could dump gasoline into a diesel tank. Maybe it's impossible.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircruiser View Post
The thing that jumps out to me is the fuel stop. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the fact that your problem started right after fueling is a little concerning, especially with the symptoms you describe. Are you absolutely sure you put diesel in the tank and not gasoline? If you did put in diesel, I think I would inclined to go back to the station, put pint of the diesel in a fuel can and give it the smell test. It could be contaminated fuel. I always wondered if there was a way a delivery truck could dump gasoline into a diesel tank. Maybe it's impossible.
Yeah... I thought about that too and reason to mention it. It was my first fill up and 100% it was Diesel (pump anyway). The tank had a little more than 1/4 left when I filled it up. The gas station isn't close to home (the MB shop is lot closer).

This AI was new but sat for a while on the lot and was taken to a RV show. It basically had 100 miles on it but was built in June 2017 (pretty close). We just bought it last month.

Calling the MB of Plano Sprinter Service department this morning and will post back whatever I find out.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
What you experienced is "Limp mode" which happens when there are some specific issues with the engine - could be many things. The first thing to check is to see if your gas cap in on tight as that can trigger a check engine light etc. When I had an ongoing problem with some emission sensors it would go into limp mode - sometimes the check engine light would come on too. My problem would go away temporarily if I restarted the engine. This helps get you home under normal power.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
Check Engine - Reduced performance

Multiple reasons a fuel stop can hurt. You already confirmed it was diesel you pumped. A gasoline oopsie is about the worst other than taking the short ride from a cliff. Other possibilities - diesel can go sour, can have contaminants, and/or can have a lower than desirable Cetane number. Diesel has Cetane ratings just like gas has octane ratings. Newer diesels with all of the fancy particulate filters, DEF, etc. are very particular about cetane levels and fuel cleanliness. Diesel vehicles with newer anti-pollution equipment are not overly happy with long breaks between use and with hard runs after long idle or short drives. Sensors are also not as long sit time friendly as the older controls used to be. If the thing sat for extended periods and you added good fuel on top of bad, you may also have gelling or paraffin build around the fuel pickup in the tank or lines, or clogging the fuel separator/filter. Vehicles stored in hot than cold climates also build condensation in the fuel tanks and diesels don't like water in their fuel any more than gasoline engines do. I agree with the suggestions of taking it to a dealer since it should be under warranty. There are additives for fuel to help "fix" bad fuel, but the engine and equipment is so expensive, a Sprinter dealer is your best bet - and then be PICKY about fueling at good brand, high volume fuel dealers. An aftermarket filter/separator is a good long term preventative measure if MB won't void your warranty. Good luck!
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Yellow engine light.

I had the yellow engine light come on shortly after starting a 1500 mile trip. It was shortly after fueling and just days after MB changed out the fuel filters for scheduled service.
No messages on the dash display.
No error codes on the OBDII
No obvious performance issues.
Still on after 1500 miles.

I am now on a streak of about eight trips with some kind of sensor issue on each trip. There are issues with modern technology...particularly add-ons required by government regulations.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
I had the yellow engine light come on.
No messages on the dash display.
Exactly what happened to me yesterday, for the second time when I was taking the coach back to the storage yard after a 500-mile round trip. No refueling or filter change involved; last fueling was 5% BIO diesel 250 miles earlier at a station that sells a lot of diesel in Abilene. This is the second time this has happened and both times it was immediately after a trouble-free trip.

First time they replaced a sensor. I'll see what happens this time. It should be covered under the emissions warranty; if not, I have $100 deductible coverage.

I use the best diesel I can find and I never idle more than at a traffic light.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
The appointment is Wed morning with MB Plano. Hoping for the best and will post back.

I fueled up in Ft Worth area and thought that would be safe with all the Diesels in the area. Are there stations that I should avoid or ones I should look out to use in the north Texas area? First diesel to own.

After turning off the engine at home I did notice a sound from the engine bay. Not sure I would consider it a warning tone but made me think about the possibility of it being exhaust gas after treatment issue.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Just and update. It is still at the MB shop. The codes indicated exhaust sensors. They still need to track down what is causing it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3975.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	309005
Old 04-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Just and update. It is still at the MB shop. The codes indicated exhaust sensors. They still need to track down what is causing it.Attachment 309005
NOx NOx...who's there??
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
NOx NOx...who's there??
"Handover"

"Handover Who?"

"Hand over your wallet!!!"
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Just and update. It is still at the MB shop. The codes indicated exhaust sensors. They still need to track down what is causing it.Attachment 309005
2 years later and I am still having problems with exhaust sensors. Replaced sensors 3 times, wiring components replaced several times. They fix it and it lasts a month or so then its back - the dreaded limp mode and/or check engine light. We don't have lemon laws here so I am still bringing it back to dealer each time to be fixed. Very interested in your outcome.

ps mine is a ML350 Bluetec but we have the same engine - and problem so far.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Assuming it is the same sensor (because the indications are identical), it looks like the replacement lasted about 7,000 miles. I'll find out in the morning. I'll do my usual drill of getting through Austin before work traffic for a breakfast at Cracker Barrel, then to Mercedes at 8 am. If all goes well, I'll be able to go home at a relatively slack traffic time.

There is a new toll lane the length of Austin with rates that change with traffic volume. At slacker periods, it is only $.25 to drive the length of the city. I get the AI in the toll lane, set the CC at 70, and I can relax for about 10 miles. Best $.25 worth I know of.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
It was the back pressure sensor. Looks like a grounding issue. MB of Plano was great to work with and close to home. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3978.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	672.6 KB
ID:	309122
Old 04-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
Contributing Member

For the birds!

I'm back at the storage yard, several hundred dollars poorer, and a little bit smarter.

I left for the Mercedes dealer, 40 miles away, in the dark this morning. The AI didn't seem to have much spunk and I thought it sounded different. 17 mpg to the dealer, tho.

I was hardly settled in the waiting area when the tech came for me. They had the air cleaner off and it was packed with twigs and feathers. The check engine had been turned on by the pressure drop through the filter.

They removed the grille and put a screen over the opening, so it should not happen again. A new filter, 1 1/2 hours of labor, and I was ready to go. It sounded good and regained its spunk for the trip home.

Anyone who keeps an AI where birds could be a problem, I would recommend a screen over the air inlet.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
I was looking at the other day and thought it was strange how open it was. Did they just make the screen or was it a part # item?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3980.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	309129
Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I was looking at the other day and thought it was strange how open it was. Did they just make the screen or was it a part # item?

Attachment 309129

No screen needed there - that rubber gasket seals against the hood where the vent opening has a built-in screen.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #19
Contributing Member

Should have mentioned ... they did the driver's side airbag replacement while I was there. That saves me another 80-mile round trip.

No notice yet for the passenger side., if ever.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Quote:

Attachment 309129
The sceeen is behind the grille over the air inlet which is a circular opening about 5" in diameter. They had to remove the grille to attach the screen. I did not see them attach it, but I think they made the screen.
WBCCI #9632