Old 01-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Would you buy an older Interstate?

I'm considering purchasing an older Interstate on the T1N platform, 2005 or 2006 era. Price is certainly a factor compared to newer ones, but I also like the higher fuel economy and simplicity of the emissions system.

For those of you that have owned Interstates of this age, would you do it again? I understand there are always tradeoffs with the different floor plans, etc, but was there anything that would drive you away? In particular, I like the openness of the rear-kitchen, dinette floor plan. The kitchen is less than ideal, but I like the living area.

Anything you'd watch out for if looking at one today? I'm aware of some issues to monitor like fuel injectors leaking, glow plugs, or roof rust -- anything else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Alan

Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
K4TCJ

2007 20' Safari
Newberry , Florida
Just bought a 2006 Parkway with mid bath, LOVE the walk through idea. Use the rear doors and sliding door to enter and exit. Getting around 24 m.p.g. around town and on the Interstate . Cleaned and waxed the roof today, needs to be do every few months here in South Florida. Yes, climb up and check for rust, bad caulking and cracked vents.
Good luck, we took 6 months to find ours, only had 3550 miles !!!
Also if you find an older one, check the tires, ours were the original ones and had cracks in the sidewalls, had to replace them.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Could we please see a picture of your 2006 Parkway?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Good point about the tires, even with lower miles they age and may need replacement. Also, sounds like I should expand my searches to include the Parkway. I wasn't aware of that model.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
K4TCJ

2007 20' Safari
Newberry , Florida
Will post photos of the Parkway in a few days. The Parkway was only built in 2006 ( so I was told ) and came in two layouts, mid bath and rear galley/bath. I wanted to be able to walk through and to load antennas and "ham radio" gear or sails through the rear. This one works great with the 2 rear sofas that have 3 seat belts each, seating for 8 total.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our Interstate is an 06, and we love it.

We have the mid-bath model, which is also the rear-sleeper. . The best layout, in our opinion.

We have a screen enclosure for the rear, attaches with Velcro and zips up the center. Great for beach camping and those perfect weather and campsite combinations.

There was a design flaw with the turbo resonator, went bad and was replaced at no cost to us.

Would do it again tomorrow.

Maggie
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
The T1N 5-banger has two advantage over the newer NCV3 models, and that is they are very fuel-efficient. Newer models get in the ballpark, but there is nothing like the five cylinder. The fact there is no DPF/DEF doesn't hurt things either.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
How's the comfort of the jack-knife sofas for sleeping? Do you feel the need to put something over it like a bed roll, or is it sufficient as is?

It doesn't sound like anyone has the dinette floor plan... I'm assuming the forward-facing seat only has a lap belt and am wondering if an aftermarket shoulder belt could be added without too much trouble.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
K4TCJ

2007 20' Safari
Newberry , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_f View Post
How's the comfort of the jack-knife sofas for sleeping? Do you feel the need to put something over it like a bed roll, or is it sufficient as is?

It doesn't sound like anyone has the dinette floor plan... I'm assuming the forward-facing seat only has a lap belt and am wondering if an aftermarket shoulder belt could be added without too much trouble.
The sofas work fine for the two of us. Thought of changing it to a different design but now that we have used it no reason to change. Just SO nice being able to walk through, seems very open and usable. There are only seat belts, 3 per side. Not sure if shoulder belts could be added. The rear sofa only has seat belts too, no shoulder belts.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4TCJ View Post
The sofas work fine for the two of us. Thought of changing it to a different design but now that we have used it no reason to change. Just SO nice being able to walk through, seems very open and usable. There are only seat belts, 3 per side. Not sure if shoulder belts could be added. The rear sofa only has seat belts too, no shoulder belts.
If 49 CFR 571 also known as Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 208 required shoulder harnesses for those seats, your Interstate would have them already. There has been a notice of proposed rulemaking that would require every passenger seat in a motorcoach to have lap/shoulder belts, but the rule would not be retroactive; it would only apply to new construction.

I think shoulder/lap belts on motorhome sofas fall into the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Any thoughts on the differences between dumping with the older models having the slinky and the new ones the macerator?

Where do you store the slinky?

In the older models, can you dump the grey water separately or is it done all at once?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I thought the older ones only had one combined tank with a macerater pump, memory may be faulty. Jim
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I thought the older ones only had one combined tank with a macerater pump, memory may be faulty. Jim
Ours is an 06.

We have a black tank about 30 gallons, a grey tank about 10 gallons, no macerator and a 10' slinky that stores in a little compartment below the rear bumper.

We empty often and put a lot of dishwater into the black tank or behind the nearest tree if in an area that doesn't prohibit it.

The grey and black tanks have their own valves, so you can empty one or both.

We haven't needed a macerator, could sometimes use a longer hose but would have to store it inside.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The '05 Interstate (at least the rear-bath) has a single gray/black tank, and I like it that way. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want separate tanks. More hassle, more weight, and no real advantage in running time. Moreover, having more liquid in the black tank helps keep it clean.

AFAICT, this is just the the standard "because that is how we have always done it" that is so typical of the RV industry. It *may* have made some sense back when it was considered OK to dump gray water along the road, but those days are long gone.

BTW: the '05 came with a slinky, not a macerator. The first thing I did was to install one. You can read about it here, just in case anybody is still interested:

Interstate Macerator Install