Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
AFAICT, this is just the the standard "because that is how we have always done it" that is so typical of the RV industry. It *may* have made some sense back when it was considered OK to dump gray water along the road, but those days are long gone.
If you have a macerator pump with an attached hose on a built-in reel (as on my Interstate), there is an advantage to separate tanks. Drain the black tank first, then the gray tank, and the soapy graywater washes out your hose. In fact, that's the only way to wash out the hose.

If you install an aftermarket macerator pump in place of a slinky, and can easily disconnect your hose (which is probably just a garden hose) from the pump, then rinsing the hose after pumping out a combined tank isn't much of a problem, and a combined tank would make more sense.

Not sure when the Interstates switched to the current configuration, but if memory serves, mine has a 26-gallon fresh tank plus a 6-gallon water heater, a 26-gallon graywater tank, and a 26-gallon blackwater tank. So, if boondocking from the on-board tanks, I'm unlikely to overfill either the black or gray tanks before you run out of fresh water, regardless of how I use the water. Also note that the black tank is not directly adjacent to the gray tank (one is above floor level, the other below), so you can't just replace two 26-gallon tanks with one 52-gallon combined tank.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you have a macerator pump with an attached hose on a built-in reel (as on my Interstate), there is an advantage to separate tanks. Drain the black tank first, then the gray tank, and the soapy graywater washes out your hose. In fact, that's the only way to wash out the hose.

If you install an aftermarket macerator pump in place of a slinky, and can easily disconnect your hose (which is probably just a garden hose) from the pump, then rinsing the hose after pumping out a combined tank isn't much of a problem, and a combined tank would make more sense.
In my installation, the hose (which is expandable, BTW) is permanently installed, but it also has a screw cap at the end (don't know if the factory hoses have this feature). Given this cap, the entire hose is part of the closed sewage system, so there is no need to flush out the hose after use. I have used this setup for seven years now, and seems pretty optimal. To each his or her own, though.

If you really have two waste tanks each of which is as large as your fresh tank, that is pretty impressive, I have to admit.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
In my installation, the hose (which is expandable, BTW) is permanently installed, but it also has a screw cap at the end (don't know if the factory hoses have this feature).
Mine's not expandable. The hose terminates in a ball valve to seal it, and there's no threaded fitting to add more hose. The ~20 feet it comes with is all I get.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Mine's not expandable. The hose terminates in a ball valve to seal it, and there's no threaded fitting to add more hose. The ~20 feet it comes with is all I get.
The end of the valve fitting is threaded internally which would allow one to make an extension hose if needed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The end of the valve fitting is threaded internally which would allow one to make an extension hose if needed.
Huh! Never noticed. I'll have to check that out.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input, and the interesting discussion on different dumping methods. The Interstates I was considering didn't work out (the lower-priced ones got snatched up quickly) and I ended up finding a deal on a T1N Roadtrek Adventurous instead.

Now I'm off to start making camp reservations!

-Alan
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_f View Post
I ended up finding a deal on a T1N Roadtrek Adventurous instead.
Congratulations on buying a Sprinter-based class B! Condolences on it not being an Airstream.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
What years were the T1N Chassis Made and converted by Airstream?

Thanks,
Katy
Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
What years were the T1N Chassis Made and converted by Airstream?

Thanks,
Katy
2006 is the last T1N Sprinter.

Airstream continued to convert 2006 Sprinters in later years.

Here's the 2007 Interstate specifications, which are on a T1N chassis (5 cylinder): http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...8eb32d79ad.pdf

Airstream's site doesn't list a 2008 model year, but they probably continued to sell the 2007s in that year, possibly referring to them as 2008 model year Interstates.

For 2009, the Interstate 3500 specifications are definitely a NCV3 Sprinter (6-cylinder): http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...ac56bcb3cf.pdf

Hope this helps,
Alan
Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Thanks Alan,

We haven't decided which to get as of yet, but leaning toward the older models because of the layout. We like the bathroom behind the drivers seat much better as it gives a more open feeling. We are downsizing from a classic MH and like the view out of the passenger side while camping and driving better than the current layouts. Also like the wood colored interior more than the current offerings as they seem to be more integrated with nature colors and therefore more soothing when coming in from really bright light.

Prefer the macerator over the stinky slinky and avanti has given a great alternative with his retrofit - offering the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the information you provided!

Katy
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We bought a 2007 interstate in March with 36k. Just spent 4 days in 100 degree weather, learned not to use the Alpine sound system with power amp as it eats up the battery. Fired up the generator hit the air and all was good. I wanted the T1N after exhaustive research here and on other threads. No DEF and averaging 24 mpg