Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Then why can't you use the spare Viper remote to unlock the van?
Because my Viper system doesn't unlock the doors. That's a separate module that wasn't available for Sprinters when I bought my Viper system. I never went back to have the module installed when it did become available, because up to now I didn't need it.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Door wedges and pneumatic "wedges" have become popular in part because the car makers became proficient at making their vehicles difficult to open via "traditional" methods like slim jims.

Anytime I am in a situation where I am going to close a door with the keys in the ignition I make it a practice to crack a window.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Won't Start

Fifteen years ago my dads car self locked on the side of a rural road with the keys in the ignition and the engine running.

While I was wondering what to do he came up with a quick solution....

His windshield was broken in need of replacement, so he had me knock a hole near the passenger A-pillar big enough for my arm to fit through....

Problem solved in less than five minutes...

Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #64

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Anytime I am in a situation where I am going to close a door with the keys in the ignition I make it a practice to crack a window.
Rainstorm, remember?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I got ya Pro.

There are circumstances that mess with our plans.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
One advantage of the Drone Alarm is that I can open the doors with my iPhone. Protag, can't they make a new key based on the number they should have on file based on the serial number to manually open the door on the driver's side? Of course, prying it open is faster and easier if you don't mind the risk of damage. Maybe that is the only way, but I would think MB would have another way short of that. I bought a spare key that I always keep at home just in case, though.
It traditionally takes the dealerships up to 5 days to order new key/Fob from M/B N/America.
Road Jager
Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #67
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
So do I read correctly? Does Van auto lock after 30 minutes, or is that an alarm feature?

- I haven't found anyone in area that's installed an alarm in a MB van, and I want remote start so no alarm in mine yet.

Mike via Mobile
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #68
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
So do I read correctly? Does Van auto lock after 30 minutes, or is that an alarm feature?

- I haven't found anyone in area that's installed an alarm in a MB van, and I want remote start so no alarm in mine yet.

Mike via Mobile
In most cases the car will auto lock when vehicle speed reaches a set amount, say 15-20mph
Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #69

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post

Check with your installer, once you pick one.

It's possible that in order to make remote start work, the installer will have to disable the anti-theft ignition lockout in order for the van to be able to start without the ignition switch detecting the correct chipped key.

Weird to think that one might have to disable a factory anti-theft device while installing an aftermarket anti-theft device…
Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Some installers will take the spare chipped key, break the shank off, and hide the rest under the dash for remote start applications.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Holy cow, Batman. That makes for a long day. Good luck on the problem being solved simply.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
The MB manual says that you should remove the drive shaft if towing for more than 30 miles. Did you?
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, well that sounded like a nightmare to me. And four hours late for vehicle that it's going to sit a few days before they look at it was a really poor excuse to put it off for another day. Too bad that the keys got locked inside; And a decent tow truck driver should know all about automatic door locks. Auto door locks have done this for decades, ask any car wash. Ironically, many times a non-start vehicle was towed to our dealership and as soon as it was disconnected from the tow truck it would start like nothing ever happened. Towing from the front, on a rear drive vehicle could cause transmission damage if the driveshaft isn't removed. He probably should have put the rear wheels on dollies. Sometimes tow trucks are a necessary evil. GOOD LUCK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
The MB manual says that you should remove the drive shaft if towing for more than 30 miles. Did you?

Hi, exactly.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #74
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey, it is probably something worth checking... Tranny issue by improper tow method is bad Ju-Ju.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #75

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
No. It also said not to exceed 31 mph. The tow was between 40 and 45 mph the whole way.

Given the endless litany of what else went wrong and how late it was getting to be, to be perfectly honest I wasn't prepared to crawl under it myself and disconnect the drive shaft after the front end was up on the wheel lift, and the tow truck driver was all "I've done this before and it's not really necessary. Don't worry about it." So, yeah, there may have been damage. Or the manual may have been overly conservative and I got lucky. I told MB about it when I was checking the vehicle in. Just one more thing to wait and see about.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, chances are that you won't know what the trans damage is until later on. There is no rear pump on modern automatic transmissions so no lubrication to spinning parts. Extension housing bushing, tail shaft bushing, and thrust washers/bearings and more could be damaged. First symptoms might be drive line vibration. Metal shavings will work their way into the rest of the trans and could do further damage or interrupt valve body actions. Yes, the tow truck driver has done this before and never heard about it because the trans failed later on and the connection was never made. Your options, in my opinion, is to let the dealer know how it was towed. And maybe ask for the transmission pan to be removed [major trans service, not a flush] and inspected for excessive shavings. [a tiny bit is normal]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I would contact the tow company and let them know how your vehicle was towed and they will be responsible for any damage. Time to document all of this. I hate to even guess as to the cost of that trans.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a mess, Protag.

I'm sorry for it, and hope it shakes itself out without too much more difficulty.

I agree, you need to document all of this, every conversation, every piece of paper. Get a pad of paper, go back to the beginning, and get it down while it is all fresh in your mind. Clip everything together and keep it together. IMHO.

We have carried AAA for years, and have had good experiences with them and those they send out.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
That's not how it works. The anti-theft system remains intake, at least in the Drone system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Check with your installer, once you pick one.

It's possible that in order to make remote start work, the installer will have to disable the anti-theft ignition lockout in order for the van to be able to start without the ignition switch detecting the correct chipped key.

Weird to think that one might have to disable a factory anti-theft device while installing an aftermarket anti-theft device…
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #80

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
That's not how it works. The anti-theft system remains intake, at least in the Drone system.
Thanks for the info. I did say "possible" and "ask your installer." If the system one chooses doesn't require the anti-theft ignition lock-out to be disabled, that's great.