Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Jim Parrett said the fitting for the outdoor shower might be difficult to insert. I tried multiple times myself and asked for help from "stronger" people but none of us were able to insert the nozzle from the blue coil hose (and have it remain in place) into the outdoor shower fitting. (He also mentioned that the manual was incorrect regarding the off/on position located on the outdoor shower mechanism. It does not exist on our Interstates.) I visited DW Inc. (the Interstate's outdoor shower is made by this company) and ordered an adapter for the outdoor shower valve which accommodates a garden hose. When I inserted that adapter, it worked! Looks like I might have a defective nozzle on my blue coil hose. It's good to know I'm not crazy.
yeziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by daizey View Post
Jim Parrett said the fitting for the outdoor shower might be difficult to insert. I tried multiple times myself and asked for help from "stronger" people but none of us were able to insert the nozzle from the blue coil hose (and have it remain in place) into the outdoor shower fitting. (He also mentioned that the manual was incorrect regarding the off/on position located on the outdoor shower mechanism. It does not exist on our Interstates.) I visited DW Inc. (the Interstate's outdoor shower is made by this company) and ordered an adapter for the outdoor shower valve which accommodates a garden hose. When I inserted that adapter, it worked! Looks like I might have a defective nozzle on my blue coil hose. It's good to know I'm not crazy.
I checked the DW Inc. page and found nothing that looks like my external shower connection. They may have changed it for the 2013 models. I was kind of wondering what you meant by "blue coil hose" and after checking the DW Inc. page, I understand. Your system is different from mine. My system is easy; insert the shower hose, twist the handle a quarter turn to tighten the hose, keep twisting it past a quarter turn to turn on the water.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Just got off of the phone with Rick from DW Inc and he is going to send me a new blue coil hose. He mentioned that there have been a few defective valves on the ones going out lately. Yeah!
yeziad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
So being a newbie as well here are a few questions on the whole winter thing. Most years we do not have what many of you might consider winter, but in late dec through early feb there is always a chance of over night temps hovering around freezing. I never have winterized my boat, I just leave it plugged in and the electric heater on a little, I have never had an issue. The Interstate is up in the parking lot, and may not be plugged in. So I guess what I am asking is just how cold does it need to get before I should worry, and before you answer yes I now that water can frees at 32f but let remember that ice will start to melt at 32 as well. Do I nee to worry if the over night low hits 32 or lower for even an hour? or only if the day time temp doesnt reach above 32 for any length of time?
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
So being a newbie as well here are a few questions on the whole winter thing. Most years we do not have what many of you might consider winter, but in late dec through early feb there is always a chance of over night temps hovering around freezing. I never have winterized my boat, I just leave it plugged in and the electric heater on a little, I have never had an issue. The Interstate is up in the parking lot, and may not be plugged in. So I guess what I am asking is just how cold does it need to get before I should worry, and before you answer yes I now that water can frees at 32f but let remember that ice will start to melt at 32 as well. Do I nee to worry if the over night low hits 32 or lower for even an hour? or only if the day time temp doesnt reach above 32 for any length of time?
Living in Louisiana I have roughly the same situation. As it happened, the only time last winter we had below-freezing temperatures, I was camping at a Louisiana State Park with 30amp electric so I was able to fill the fresh tank, disconnect the fresh hose and bring it in, and use the furnace and tank heaters to keep the tanks and pipes from freezing.

But from a practical standpoint, it's expensive and time-consuming to replace plumbing that froze, and I don't want to lose valuable camping time doing repairs. So what I do is check the Weather Channel website every day during the winter, and if the 5-day forecast shows overnight lows below about 30°F for any day in that forecast, I'll go ahead and partially winterize. Empty the tanks and blow the lines. I won't necessarily have to add RV antifreeze for a full winterization, but I'll have some on hand anyway, just in case the daytime high is also forecast to be below freezing.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I have never winterized my Interstate and it gets plenty cold here in OK. As long as you have shore power to run the tank heaters and don't mind running the furnace (I set mine at 50 degrees) I bet you will be fine. That's what I do, YMMV.

I should add that the few times it was going to stay below 25 for more than a few hours I have moved the unit to indoor storage just to be safe.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #27

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I have never winterized my Interstate and it gets plenty cold here in OK. As long as you have shore power to run the tank heaters and don't mind running the furnace (I set mine at 50 degrees) I bet you will be fine. That's what I do, YMMV.
Not everyone can park where there's shore power available. But if you've got it, that's definitely the way to go!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LB , California
Outside Shower/Blue Coil Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeziad View Post
Funny you should mention the blue coil hose. My blue coil hose on my 2013 Airstream does not fit in the outside connector either....I also checked a blue coil hose from a 2012 Airstream - Identical hose and end to my 2013 provided- and that one did not lock into the outside connector on my 2013 either! Different connector used on camper? I think I need to call DW too. Let us know if new hose works!
Supercatspjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
It's just tight. Take a screwdriver and tap the plunger in. The same thing happened the first time I tried to insert the blue coil hose. I suspect that the my dealer didn't relieve the pressure (or left the valve open) before popping the hose off.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #30

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Kent , Connecticut
The most susceptible part of your system is your blue-and-white water hose. It will freeze before anything else. You have two choices: disconnect the hose before the temperature drops below freezing and bring it inside, or get a heated hose.

Thank you for ALL your posts; you are a saint for your kindnesses. So where is this "blue-and-white hose?" It's not the discharge hose. I'm 2014 silver extend. Steve Greene Kent CY
SPGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #31

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPGreene View Post
Thank you for ALL your posts; you are a saint for your kindnesses. So where is this "blue-and-white hose?" It's not the discharge hose. I'm 2014 silver extend. Steve Greene Kent CY
It's a separate fresh water hose that you attach between the service pedestal and your municipal water intake. Being outside your Airstream, and above-ground, naturally it's more susceptible to freezing when you're camping in winter. When your Airstream is in storage, it's a moot point, because naturally you'll have drained the hose and stored it inside rather than leaving it hooked up.

Side note, fresh water hoses are blue-and-white for a reason. They are made of a lead-free plastic material that will not leach harmful chemicals into your drinking water. That color code is used in both the RV and maritime industries to mark hoses that are safe to carry drinking water.

Green or black garden hoses contain lead and phthalates that can leach into the water, especially if the hose lays in the sun and gets hot. Don't use them for drinking water.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
Blow out versus antifreeze

If I blow out the water lines, what do I need to do to the water pump and water heater ? Also what about the tanks ? Thanks
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
First I'd recommend reading thru the winterizing procedure in the Airstream owner's manual. Personally I do all of that, close the low point drains, and then put some RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pump thru all of the lines except the HW heater which I have bypassed after draining. This puts some antifreeze in all of the lines and tanks. Also pump some thru the gray & black water into the drain hose. Then I open all of the low point drains again. Next Spring I drain and flush everything and we're good to go.

If you do elect to go the "blow out" route, be sure you don't exceed the maximum pressure. I don't remember what that is but I think it's in the manual.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
If you do elect to go the "blow out" route, be sure you don't exceed the maximum pressure. I don't remember what that is but I think it's in the manual.
The late-model manual says:
Quote:
After the water has stopped running, apply at least 60 lbs. of air pressure at the city water inlet.
Personally I wouldn't go much over 60psi. Compressed air— if used improperly— can hurt you. OSHA standards at 29 CFR 1926.302(b)(4) limit the use of compressed air for cleaning purposes to 30psi, and you'd be using at least double that for blowing out your water lines.