Old 10-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daizey View Post
leaving the dump valves open helps the air to circulate.

Jim certainly knows his stuff but not sure how leaving the dump valves will allow air to circulate. Even if you leave the valve at the end of the dump hose open, not much air is going to travel thru the hose. I think if you put some of the tank deodorizer in then it'll be OK.

Did Jim say what max. air pressure to use?

Last spring, I had to wrap a rag around my air nozzle in the fill port in order to prime the pump after I had drained the anti-freeze.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Jim certainly knows his stuff but not sure how leaving the dump valves will allow air to circulate. Even if you leave the valve at the end of the dump hose open, not much air is going to travel thru the hose.
The tank is vented. If the valve is left open, the hoses in between the tanks and the macerator pump is also vented. This allows for changes in air volume as the air gets cold. If the valves were closed, the hoses would not be vented, and a large change in air temperature would cause a problem.

Think of the Mason or Bell jars used in home canning. You heat the contents of the jar with the lid loose, and when the jar cools to room temperature, the air inside the jar contracts and causes the lid to seal tight. Same sort of thing happens in a sealed hose. You winterize when the outside temperature is still well above freezing. Then, when the winter temperatures fall below freezing, the air inside the hose contracts, and collapses the hose. If the hose is vented, then the pressure can equalize, and no collapse.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks for info. Forgot about the venting.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Jim P. from AS said to leave both the grey and black tank valves open but it is impossible to do so. Only one will stay open at a time. Also, what's up with the outdoor shower. I never used it and now I'm trying to winterize it but the blue coil hose will not work in the outdoor port. Just trying to winterize it. The manual says there is an on/off switch inside the AS but I have not located it. I see where the lines feed the outdoor shower but there is nothing there except the lines.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Although I've never tried it, are the black and gray valves interlocked some way to prevent both opening at the same time?

My manual says that there's a valve handle for the shower that should be OFF in order to attach the shower. I need to check that out also.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Also, what's up with the outdoor shower. I never used it and now I'm trying to winterize it but the blue coil hose will not work in the outdoor port. Just trying to winterize it. The manual says there is an on/off switch inside the AS but I have not located it. I see where the lines feed the outdoor shower but there is nothing there except the lines.
Given the location of the external shower, the most likely use for most of us would be in the event of a mishap while pumping out the black and gray tanks. If you have the external shower plugged in during pumpout, you can hose off any accidental spills. Of course, if you boondock on the beach (or use your Interstate for day trips to the beach), hosing off the sand before going inside would be another good use for the external shower.

I can't speak to all model years, but on my 2012 Interstate, the removable external shower hose includes a valve as part of the connector. I'm not aware of any inside on/off switch. When you first connect the external shower hose, it only plugs into the shower socket with the valve in the closed position.

I obtained a second external shower hose through my Airstream dealer, cut off the shower head, and added a slightly modified blow-out plug in its place. I can screw the blowout plug into the black tank flush fitting (which has a built-in backflow preventer). This allows me to do two things: (1) I can flush the black tank with hot water from the external shower; (2) I will be able to winterize the external shower fitting with no mess, by spraying the antifreeze into the black tank rather than spraying it on the ground.

The blowout plug I used for the modification was a Camco 36143 Blowout Plug. I drilled out the venturi in the stem, and ground off the ferrule on the outside of the stem so it would fit (tightly) into the end of the shower hose, then used a standard hose clamp to clamp it in place. In use, I will screw in the blowout plug into the black tank flush fitting first, then insert the other end into the shower fitting, and just turn on the water. That's the plan, anywat. I'll be winterizing for the first time sometime after Thanksgiving.

Haven't yet tried opening both valves at the same time. It may be possible to open both part-way— which is enough to allow air exchange— without tripping any interlock.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Jim Parrett said the fitting for the outdoor shower might be difficult to insert. I tried multiple times myself and asked for help from "stronger" people but none of us were able to insert the nozzle from the blue coil hose (and have it remain in place) into the outdoor shower fitting. (He also mentioned that the manual was incorrect regarding the off/on position located on the outdoor shower mechanism. It does not exist on our Interstates.) I visited DW Inc. (the Interstate's outdoor shower is made by this company) and ordered an adapter for the outdoor shower valve which accommodates a garden hose. When I inserted that adapter, it worked! Looks like I might have a defective nozzle on my blue coil hose. It's good to know I'm not crazy.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Jim Parrett said the fitting for the outdoor shower might be difficult to insert. I tried multiple times myself and asked for help from "stronger" people but none of us were able to insert the nozzle from the blue coil hose (and have it remain in place) into the outdoor shower fitting. (He also mentioned that the manual was incorrect regarding the off/on position located on the outdoor shower mechanism. It does not exist on our Interstates.) I visited DW Inc. (the Interstate's outdoor shower is made by this company) and ordered an adapter for the outdoor shower valve which accommodates a garden hose. When I inserted that adapter, it worked! Looks like I might have a defective nozzle on my blue coil hose. It's good to know I'm not crazy.
I checked the DW Inc. page and found nothing that looks like my external shower connection. They may have changed it for the 2013 models. I was kind of wondering what you meant by "blue coil hose" and after checking the DW Inc. page, I understand. Your system is different from mine. My system is easy; insert the shower hose, twist the handle a quarter turn to tighten the hose, keep twisting it past a quarter turn to turn on the water.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Just got off of the phone with Rick from DW Inc and he is going to send me a new blue coil hose. He mentioned that there have been a few defective valves on the ones going out lately. Yeah!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
So being a newbie as well here are a few questions on the whole winter thing. Most years we do not have what many of you might consider winter, but in late dec through early feb there is always a chance of over night temps hovering around freezing. I never have winterized my boat, I just leave it plugged in and the electric heater on a little, I have never had an issue. The Interstate is up in the parking lot, and may not be plugged in. So I guess what I am asking is just how cold does it need to get before I should worry, and before you answer yes I now that water can frees at 32f but let remember that ice will start to melt at 32 as well. Do I nee to worry if the over night low hits 32 or lower for even an hour? or only if the day time temp doesnt reach above 32 for any length of time?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
So being a newbie as well here are a few questions on the whole winter thing. Most years we do not have what many of you might consider winter, but in late dec through early feb there is always a chance of over night temps hovering around freezing. I never have winterized my boat, I just leave it plugged in and the electric heater on a little, I have never had an issue. The Interstate is up in the parking lot, and may not be plugged in. So I guess what I am asking is just how cold does it need to get before I should worry, and before you answer yes I now that water can frees at 32f but let remember that ice will start to melt at 32 as well. Do I nee to worry if the over night low hits 32 or lower for even an hour? or only if the day time temp doesnt reach above 32 for any length of time?
Living in Louisiana I have roughly the same situation. As it happened, the only time last winter we had below-freezing temperatures, I was camping at a Louisiana State Park with 30amp electric so I was able to fill the fresh tank, disconnect the fresh hose and bring it in, and use the furnace and tank heaters to keep the tanks and pipes from freezing.

But from a practical standpoint, it's expensive and time-consuming to replace plumbing that froze, and I don't want to lose valuable camping time doing repairs. So what I do is check the Weather Channel website every day during the winter, and if the 5-day forecast shows overnight lows below about 30°F for any day in that forecast, I'll go ahead and partially winterize. Empty the tanks and blow the lines. I won't necessarily have to add RV antifreeze for a full winterization, but I'll have some on hand anyway, just in case the daytime high is also forecast to be below freezing.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I have never winterized my Interstate and it gets plenty cold here in OK. As long as you have shore power to run the tank heaters and don't mind running the furnace (I set mine at 50 degrees) I bet you will be fine. That's what I do, YMMV.

I should add that the few times it was going to stay below 25 for more than a few hours I have moved the unit to indoor storage just to be safe.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #27

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I have never winterized my Interstate and it gets plenty cold here in OK. As long as you have shore power to run the tank heaters and don't mind running the furnace (I set mine at 50 degrees) I bet you will be fine. That's what I do, YMMV.
Not everyone can park where there's shore power available. But if you've got it, that's definitely the way to go!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LB , California
Outside Shower/Blue Coil Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeziad View Post
Funny you should mention the blue coil hose. My blue coil hose on my 2013 Airstream does not fit in the outside connector either....I also checked a blue coil hose from a 2012 Airstream - Identical hose and end to my 2013 provided- and that one did not lock into the outside connector on my 2013 either! Different connector used on camper? I think I need to call DW too. Let us know if new hose works!