Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The good thing about RV antifreeze is that it doesn't evaporate so a small amount in the black tank keeps it from drying out.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
An Airstream Interstate has no traps; in place of drain traps there are one-way HepvO valves (HepvO Waterless P-Trap, How big is it?) so you don't need to add antifreeze to displace the water in the traps; there is no water in the traps. Nevertheless it's still a good idea to add at least some antifreeze to the black and gray tanks to cover the waste dump valves with antifreeze and keep the seals moist.

How long do those traps last? Have you experienced any problems with them?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
How about the toilet valve and sink sprayer?Gene
I just learned my lesson the hard way. I assumed that the toilet valve was high up enough that simply opening the low-point drain would empty it when winterizing. Nice idea, but bad decision. When I went to "summerize" the Grand Tour last week, prior to a short run to Florida (to escape the cold, no less), I found out that the sound of running water when I connected the shore water line was caused by a huge leak around the back of the toilet. $280.00 later (freezing not covered by warranty), I had a chance to look at the old valve. Turns out that there are a load of channels and ports in the valve that trap water and freeze even after a standard winterizing. Lesson learned, I will now pump antifreeze until it comes out in the bowl. I did that the first time I winterized, but got lazy the second time. BTW, the part is not expensive, it's the labor. Can anyone help me as to how to remove the toilet? I have a feeling this will happen to me again, and I want to do the labor myself. At least it's MY toilet, so it won't be THAT bad a job.
BillyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
How long do those traps last? Have you experienced any problems with them?
Longer than I've owned my Interstate at least, and no problems at all.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Billy, when I was summerizing and the toilet valve had frozen, I had a fountain in the bathroom when the water was on. While it may have been pretty, I mostly only cared about running back to the faucet and turning off the water. Since then—6 or so years—I've always remembered to pump antifreeze through the valve and had no problems since.

I was going to JC for some other things and they fixed it no charge. But I was there and getting other things done. You have to pull the toilet to get to the valve. I talked to an RV mechanic in Grand Junction before I went to JC and he quoted me a price of $150. Maybe the Interstate has complications, or maybe because this guy wasn't at an Airstream dealer it cost less.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
How long does it take to flush out the antifreeze once winter is done? Thanks
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Takes me about a half hour.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Depends how much antifreeze is in the system and whether the taste remains of either antifreeze or chlorine. Some people report the antifreeze taste lives on and on—I don't know whether they are hypersensitive or it is the brand of antifreeze. I flush the system 3 times after using Clorox and that's gets all bad tastes out. Since we have a 39 gallon tank and longer water lines that an Interstate, all of this takes longer—several hours. Draining the system between flushes goes faster if you run the water pump when draining.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote