Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
I have been a process operator in a oil refinery for 35 years. Like others have said there is NOT good and bad Diesel, only different additive packages. We can and do change the blends of Diesel to meet the customers specific specs. Like No 1 or 2 Diesels, Cetane Indexes (kinda like octane) etc..
Additives that can be added for customers are Detergents, Lubricity, Stabilizers, Cetane Improvers, Pour Point reducers (this helps in cold weather), biocides, and corrosion inhibitors.
Fun Fact, Kerosene is Jet Fuel. Its Distillation numbers are very close to Diesel, the Refiner will adjust the Freeze Point of the Jet Fuel for obvious reasons
In the Refinery I work at every drop of Kerosene is blended into the Diesel pool cause that's where the economics point (more money).
Another thing, there are strict standards set by the API and ASTM for Hydrocarbon Fuels, so nobody gets to cheat the customer.

Craig Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #30
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Craig Schrader View Post
Fun Fact, Kerosene is Jet Fuel. Its Distillation numbers are very close to Diesel, the Refiner will adjust the Freeze Point of the Jet Fuel for obvious reasons
Which is one reason diesel costs more than gasoline these days, because the aviation market snatches up so much of it.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
Durango , Colorado
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I live in the Colorado Mountains in the summer and for years I lived there all year round.
I drove my vehicle many times when temps were 10 to 15 below zero with number two diesel without difficulty.
You were most likely not running straight number 2, unless you specifically purchased it from vendor who did not run winter blend.

Almost every station in Colorado automatically switches to winter blend in late October.

I have lived in Colorado since 1960 and it has always been that way since I've lived here.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The big 3 truck stops (Love's, Pilot and Flying J - the last two have recently merged) in many states are peddling bio-diesel with signs saying up to 20% ratios on the pumps out front for pickups/rvs and in back for the big rigs.

My Mercedes 3.0 liter diesels in both the 2007 ML320 and my wife 2009 E320 are limited to 5% as is my 2012 Cummins in the Dodge Ram. Crossing Texas, even some of the top tier gas stations are selling that "stuff".

I swapped the original 34 gallon tank on the Dodge for a 56 gallon Titan under bed tank so I can have fuel stop selections within a 600 mile range.

So look carefully before starting the pump.

The bio-diesel caustic damage can be very expensive to repair and be sure you don't get it on the paint!

The largest user of all fuels in the world is the US Military. That is a nice contract for BP.

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote