Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We don't worry much about the jelling of fuel any more unless it is below O. This new low sulphur fuel is really clean, and has no or very little paraffin ,which caused the fuel jelling and all our fuel is low sulphur...

Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I agree with Relehnherr. My diesel experience is very dated but I had a diesel car parked off the side of the road for 4 days, once, when I lived in Illinois. It gelled up while I was driving it and wouldn't do anything but idle until the weather warmed up. My diesel station supposedly had winter blend, but obviously did not. From that point on, I always added additives in cold northern weather. Not an issue here in coastal North Carolina.
Larry
Me, 1989, in St. Louis, Volkswagen Rabbit. My episode of automotive death was longer than 4 days. I had put in the additive but I was too late - it didn't mix properly and the gelling happened anyway.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
One thing to watch for if driving a diesel are two diesel pumps at a number of rural fueling stations. We have come upon these in WV as we live next door, parts of PA and out west. Ultra Low Sulfur for our road trucks and then the "old" diesel for the off road and farm equipment. One such station in Roanoke WV, yes WV not VA, did not even have the pumps clearly labeled.

When we ran into the no low sulfur available for a long while in Canada I actually called Ford and was told if you put in the "old" sulfur you wont get far before the computers shut you down, tank would then have to be drained etc. Not sure of accuracy, but did not test it either.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
The off-road is diesel sold in a lot of places. There is a station near the 495 Beltway near Washington DC in Maryland that sells it. I've seen it many times in my travels, not just in rural areas. The last time I fueled at one of those station, I was buying the normal taxed ULSD the guy next to me was filling him late model Ford Powerstroke diesel pickup with the non-taxed off-road diesel that was 30 cents per gallon cheaper. His pickup was obviously highly modified and tuned so that cheaper diesel was not going to harm his engine.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
What about his emission system. I'd think it might damage it.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
What about his emission system. I'd think it might damage it.

My point was that this pickup probably had all the emission systems removed. You can get diesels tuned to remove the EGR, DPF and other systems. Highly illegal just as it's illegal to use off-road diesel fuel in a highway vehicle. But then who really enforces these things. In Maryland and many other states diesels are exempt from routine emissions testing.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I will tell you what, all fuel made is of the low sulphur design,if it is off road it has no tax,that is the only difference,I haul for a refinery...
Old 03-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The only difference in the diesel fuel for on and off road. Is the off road is dyed RED. If you are caught with Red diesel in the fuel tank of a vehicle on road. You can get in BIG trouble. There is no fuel tax on RED fuel.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 03-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #23
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Has anybody on here ever been checked with a private (not commercial) vehicle for non tax diesel? I've never heard of anybody having their private vehicle dipped...

-Red, curious...
Old 03-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Has anybody on here ever been checked with a private (not commercial) vehicle for non tax diesel? I've never heard of anybody having their private vehicle dipped...
It has been a few years, but I'm aware of it happening once in southwest Oklahoma. As it happens, fuel pumps have to be periodically checked for calibration by whatever State department handles weights and measures, and a fellow pulled his tractor in on a trailer, filled up the tractor at the off-road-use pump (okay) and then proceeded to fill his pickup at the same pump (not okay), all while the guy from the State was watching him while calibrating one of the gasoline pumps. Caught in the act.

I have no idea how much the fine was, but it must have been more than the tax he was trying to avoid.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Here in montana we get our trucks checked at the scales every once in awhile,if caught can be 10000$ fine and the IRS can do a audit , the pickups have been known to get checked at the cattle auction yards, it isn't worth it.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
ULSD is such that running a fuel quality additive year round is a good idea.

Major chain truck stops carry a variety. HOWES, and POWER SERVICE are two of the better ones.

Those two have winter versions available.

I would call SCHAEFFER brand products best, but availability is mail order for my region.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So, just another diesel blend anecdote: Last year, I was driving my MB GL320 up the Texas panhandle in mid February. Parked for the night in Amarillo, and woke up to 7 deg F temperatures and a sub-zero wind chill. Tried to start the vehicle, and sure enough, the fuel had gelled. Had to have it towed to a garage, warmed up, and later that day, I got it going and continued on my trip. Used the anti-gel fuel additive thereafter.

As I sat around waiting for the vehicle to become functional again, I learned a few things courtesy of the internet--take that at face value:
-Plain-Jane, unblended diesel fuel will gel at 17 degrees F, a much higher temperature than I thought.
-Winter blends are not implemented everywhere in the US (as I learned)
-Biodiesel blends increase the tendancy to gel. I typically avoid biodiesel, and thought I had been doing so, but I discovered on my way back through the panhandle that many of the stations in that area were providing a 5-20% biodiesel blend.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
So, just another diesel blend anecdote: Last year, I was driving my MB GL320 up the Texas panhandle in mid February. Parked for the night in Amarillo, and woke up to 7 deg F temperatures and a sub-zero wind chill. Tried to start the vehicle, and sure enough, the fuel had gelled. Had to have it towed to a garage, warmed up, and later that day, I got it going and continued on my trip. Used the anti-gel fuel additive thereafter.

As I sat around waiting for the vehicle to become functional again, I learned a few things courtesy of the internet--take that at face value:

-Plain-Jane, unblended diesel fuel will gel at 17 degrees F, a much higher temperature than I thought.

-Winter blends are not implemented everywhere in the US (as I learned)

-Biodiesel blends increase the tendancy to gel. I typically avoid biodiesel, and thought I had been doing so, but I discovered on my way back through the panhandle that many of the stations in that area were providing a 5-20% biodiesel blend.

The moral of some of these stories is to carefully read the stickers on the pump before you start filling.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums