Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #43
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
It is certainly true that around here, winter camping can be wonderful, so I hate to take the rig "offline" so to speak.
This post and several others in this thread make me want to remind everyone that winterizing the trailer doesn't mean you can't use it again until Spring. There's no law against dewinterizing in the middle of winter.

I regularly winterize twice each winter. Last year, I winterized three times.

It's not that big of a deal. We've owned our trailer for 2.5 years now and I've winterized it a total of 5 times. Before the trailer, we had a B190 that got the double winterizing treatment several times, too.

I blow out the lines and use the antifreeze in the traps and waste tanks. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to do it each time, but I don't mind it. If you're going to pump antifreeze in the system, it's not as critical as the lines are blown dry as it is for me, so it probably wouldn't even take any longer to winterize with the antifreeze. Some people can do it in 15 minutes - I'm sure it depends on the design of each trailer. (I also try to be extra careful because we have polybutelene plumbing, so a frozen connection is an even larger problem for my trailer than it would be for most.)

We have a plastic bin that we use to store all of the liquids in the camper that could freeze and make a mess, as well as the filter for the drinking water faucet (the filter goes in a plastic bag). We put everything in the bin, then take it inside the house and put it in a closet. This takes less time than me blowing out the lines, so my wife usually does it.

Look at it this way - you get extra practice winterizing... and practice makes perfect! Now, go winterize your camper, and if you want to use it in January, unwinterize it, use it and enjoy it, then winterize it again. I'm giving everyone permission.

1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Thanks Skater. This is helpful .

Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Davin , West Virginia
We are in WV and have already had a few nights in the mid 20's. As of yet, no daytime temps below freezing though. Our last planned trip of the season will be thanksgiving week, so I haven't done the whole winterizing thing just yet. I did open all the faucets and have my son hold open the commode valve while draining all the water out of the lines, hoping the vacuum of escaping water would draw enough air through the valves to mostly clear them. I hope haven't had any frozen pipes, as I just replaced all the old copper with pex. (Previous owner in MI had let everything freeze and bust) In addition to the thermometer, I have been monitoring some bottles of drinking water that have been on the back porch for signs of icing, just to put my mind at ease. So far, the bottles have managed to retain enough daytime hat to keep them from freezing during the night, even though they are unprotected from the wind, etc.

The plan is to hit a gas station that has an air hose on the way back from Chattanooga and completely blow the lines out, as well as put some antifreeze in the traps before heading home. Not worried about the pump or fresh tank, as I haven't finished plumbing that end of the system yet. The owners manual ('75 Sovereign) mentions using antifreeze in the lines, but makes it sound like an unnecessary precaution.
Hillbilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #46
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, the Interstate uses a dry trap and therefore negates the req't to put RV antifreeze in the drains.

See it here.
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #47
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Nerd alert!

It's never made sense to me that pipes break when water freezes. Shouldn't a solid be more dense and take up less space than a liquid? So I actually paid attention in chemistry class the day they discussed hydrogen bonding.

Water is a rare substance in that it that takes up more volume in solid form than it does in liquid form (which is why we have to worry about frozen pipes - and why we can't put our beer in the freezer).

Think how odd that is. Usually density increases as you compress things, i.e. gas => liquid => solid. It doesn't apply to water due to hydrogen bonding. It's a neat deal because life as we know it couldn't exist without hydrogen bonding.

I had time to recall that from the musty past while I drove to the Sheep Barn at the county fairgrounds to make sure Nellie was properly winterized. Heading down to the teens here at night. I think she will be OK though - despite hydrogen bonding.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member
2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Nerd alert!
Water is a rare substance in that it that takes up more volume in solid form than it does in liquid form (which is why we have to worry about frozen pipes - and why we can't put our beer in the freezer).
This is fortunate. Otherwise, ice would sink, lakes would freeze from the bottom up, and all the fish would die.

avanti is offline   Reply With Quote