Old 12-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
General note regarding tires -

They require something to grip. If I'm traveling over traprock-coated asphalt or certain types of water-shedding specialty pavement, I can count on it costing me an extra 5 mph on a windy day, vs. the speed I would be traveling on a conventional surface. There's almost a bit of a skateboard-type effect which I am guessing derives from the reduced surface area being contacted by the tires at any given instant.

Some Interstate owners may rarely, or never, encounter this effect because these pavement formulations are only used in areas where icing never occurs. There's a lot of void space in the surface and ice would wedge that kind of pavement apart. Or in the case of traprock, they tend to put it down anyway because it is cheap, but it comes apart soon enough, usually creating conditions ripe for windshield chipping in the process.

This comes to mind because I just returned from a short trip through rural near-central Texas where I was conscious of this effect. It's the kind of thing a car driver would never perceive because the impact would be so small relative to a car's performance envelope, but many factors influence the handling of an Interstate.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi BurntAsphalt

I did not notice any real ride difference between the stock tire and the XPS Rib. I think there maybe enough weight on the front axle to keep them smoothed out. We ran them at 55 PSI. I would not put the XPS Ribs on the rear LTX would be fine there.

Andrew T

Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote