Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
Windshield Covers

Looking to keep the sun out when I'm parked on the driveway. It gets brutal here in SoCal in the summer.
Anyone had any experience with this company Windshield Covers - Fanchers.com For all your upholstery needs!
http://fanchers.com/Images/ProductPics/090707_005.jpg
I've seen similar (same pictures) at eurocampers.com
Cheers
Colin
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not exactly the same. The one pictured in your link has a silvery finish that should reflect heat better than the plain white canvas one I bought at Eurocampers.

Mine works very well for privacy purposes, but not so great for heat. I supplement mine with an aluminized foam (Prodex?) windshield reflector that I bought at AutosportCatalog.com.

I do like the roll-up side flaps with screening underneath, though; I can leave the front windows cracked open for ventilation without letting in bugs (especially useful when I'm running the furnace; best to have front windows open for ventilation when I'm sleeping in back— less of a draft that way).

You can't open either front door while the cover is in place, either; you have to take the cover off the door in order to open the door. That isn't a problem, just an observation.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not exactly the same. The one pictured in your link has a silvery finish that should reflect heat better than the plain white canvas one I bought at Eurocampers.

Mine works very well for privacy purposes, but not so great for heat. I supplement mine with an aluminized foam (Prodex?) windshield reflector that I bought at AutosportCatalog.com.

I do like the roll-up side flaps with screening underneath, though; I can leave the front windows cracked open for ventilation without letting in bugs (especially useful when I'm running the furnace; best to have front windows open for ventilation when I'm sleeping in back— less of a draft that way).

You can't open either front door while the cover is in place, either; you have to take the cover off the door in order to open the door. That isn't a problem, just an observation.
FYI, Regarding opening the front windows for ventilation. Bought a set of the driver/passenger side window (bug) Skreenz. Fit well, easy to install. Custom built for your Sprinter. Took about 10 days for delivery. Nice guy who builds them. Camping, RV, Camping gear, Van, Bee, West Nile Virus, Van accessories, screens.com, bug screens, insect screen, bug shield, mosquito screen, mosquito netting
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
bought a 3'x10' roll of silver-coated 1/4" foam at Camping World for $13.00. Cut it to approximate size by laying it on the outside then fine trim to fit the inside. Held in place just fine by lowering the visors. Bought it use on the road but amazed at how much cooler it is sitting in the dirveway. Enough
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
FYI, Regarding opening the front windows for ventilation. Bought a set of the driver/passenger side window (bug) Skreenz. Fit well, easy to install. Custom built for your Sprinter. Took about 10 days for delivery. Nice guy who builds them.
I have a set of those, too (or something similar, at least), that I bought from Eurocampers. Don't use them as often as I used to since I bought that wrap-around windshield cover, though.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal Oak , Michigan
I'm very happy with the cover I bought from these guys. I've had it 6 years now, and it's basically like new. <title>Sprinter Accessorie</title>
mikelevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
I know there have been endless threads about this but as you seem to have down a lot of research and buying can you provide a link to what you are using now. and or what to avoid in the way of camping window covers/privacy screens ?
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelevitt View Post
I'm very happy with the cover I bought from these guys. I've had it 6 years now, and it's basically like new. <title>Sprinter Accessorie</title>
This is what we have.

Very happy with it.

Maggie
Old 02-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennu36 View Post
I know there have been endless threads about this but as you seem to have [done] a lot of research and buying can you provide a link to what you are using now. and or what to avoid in the way of camping window covers/privacy screens ?
Bear with me while I revisit this issue because I have some new information for everyone today.

Going through this thread, I boiled the windshield cover choices down to the three remaining live options screengrabbed in the attached collage (note that as I was following options, I did hit some dead links).

I then phoned <title>Sprinteraccessories | Essential Equipment For Your Van</title> to verify that (1) their cover is actually reflective material, not just gray fabric (hard to tell from pic), and (2) they actually have it in stock for the T1N (more on that in a minute).

A guy in their shipping dept. answered the phone and was EXTREMELY helpful. Yes, the cover is reflective and yes, they have it in stock - but there are only 7 left (there were 8 but I ordered one) and no more will be manufactured.

He said that a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for the 02-06 Sprinters is going away within the next six months or so (happy 10th anniversary of model discontinuance!), and he advised me that if I wanted any other products, I better get 'em soon.

This was no a surprise to me because we have already tried to buy certain items for our vehicle only to find that there are no more to be had (e.g., the interior swivel brackets that permit the windshield sun visors to be pushed 90 degrees toward the door windows instead of simply rotating up and down).

Anyway, if you own an Interstate built on a T1N, take that on advisement - only 7 remaining reflective exterior covers, perhaps on the entire market. Unless someone knows of another source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217_3_EXTERIOR_COVERS.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	232615  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Here is what this reflective product looks like. It is lightweight and translucent, which I actually like, because I don't want the interior of the Interstate to resemble the Black Hole of Calcutta while this is in place. If someone were using a cover for long term exterior storage, they might want opaque vinyl instead.

This will require some minor super-magnet surgery, which I don't mind doing. Otherwise the bottom edges of driver's and passenger's side windows are going to flap around and potentially scratch the paint. On the side shot, you can see where I temporarily added tiny dot-like magnets around the window frame. The wind is very gusty here in Houston today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-DSC_0562.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	233402   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0563.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	233403  

Name:	1-DSC_0564.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	233404  
Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This will require some minor super-magnet surgery, which I don't mind doing. Otherwise the bottom edges of driver's and passenger's side windows are going to flap around and potentially scratch the paint. On the side shot, you can see where I temporarily added tiny dot-like magnets around the window frame. The wind is very gusty here in Houston today.
As an alternative to magnets, you might try loops of parachute cord or thin elastic cord. One in front to loop under the mirror, one in back to loop through the door handle. That should control the flapping.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The thing about the magnets on these windshield covers....

You need to know they attract tiny particles of metal from the air, which stick and accumulate and increase the tendency to scratch.

Be careful putting the cover on and off, clean the magnet areas regularly, and tie the corners down to the door handles. The ready-made covers have loops for this purpose, and I use a tiny bungee cord.

Also, if you have heavy rains, take the cover off the next sunny day and let everything underneath dry out thoroughly.

Maggie
Old 03-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
The thing about the magnets on these windshield covers....

You need to know they attract tiny particles of metal from the air, which stick and accumulate and increase the tendency to scratch.

Maggie
This is a very good point - I never considered that possibility. I'm going to have to think on this some more. There is already a very good Velcro loop that pulls it tight around both mirrors. Maybe bungee or Velcro to the door handle. Thanks for this pointer.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Somewhere - on another thread? - someone mentioned not liking the interior window coverings that have the suction cups, because the suction cups don't stick well.

I have a tip for that - make sure your bottom edges of the coverings are resting on the "window sill" of the door frame. That way, the suction cups are not supporting the weight of the window covering - just preventing it from tipping inward off the window.

I had the interior custom "Heatshield" brand windshield reflector and I liked it, so I went ahead and sprang for the same-brand custom T1N driver's and passenger's side window coverings as well. I was worried that the suction cups would not hold, but they do quite well. So far, they've stayed on for 24 hours at a time with no problems.

Something else to think about when you are selecting a window covering(s) - how and where are you going to use your vehicle and what perception do you want to project? Sometimes little things can have a big effect.

Case in point. I situated my Interstate yesterday in Houston's Hermann Park and in that scenario, I don't want to give the impression that I might over-stay my 3-hour parking limit. Call me paranoid, but to me, the exterior reflective cover suggests I might be planning to stay for a longer period because why else would I have taken the trouble to put it on? Which might draw the attention of the police who patrol the park rigorously on a rare (for this year) 74-degree Sunday afternoon when an overwhelming crush of park-goers triggers strict parking enforcement. So in that situation, I would tend to opt for the interior covers which give the more correct impression that I'm just passing through. I don't know if I'm allowed to leave a 22-foot vehicle in this park or that park, and if it turns out that I'm not, then I don't want to find out through the act of attracting unnecessary attention.

Going back also to that other thread where we were talking about security and Glamper mentioned the little "beware of dog" signs and I googled the same terms and my search returned the "beware of owner" sign instead... I actually did buy that thing!

I put it in one of the windows fairly often, and it fits well beneath the interior reflective covers. Here is a close-up of the fitted passenger side window covering and that sign, as juxtaposed against a fine municipal example of victim-blaming (it was just coincidence that I parked next to that sign). Particularly in an area like this where break-ins are a known problem, I definitely would want zero ability of people to look in through the windows, no matter which window coverings I chose. That way nobody can tell if someone is in the Interstate or not (I leave all the flaps and the Fantastic open to make it look occupied).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150322_H-park.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	234786  
Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Slightly wetting suction cups enhances their sticking ability.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mooresville , North Carolina
Different vendor for windshield cover

Tried to do a search on the forum dedicated to the windshield and side window covers. I have not seen these before.
Found a vendor making a windshield and side window cover that is mesh and you can see outside during the day. At night, still need the inside covers. I am ordering this set at $425. The beauty is that the side windows can be down and you can still get some air. Vendor said it blocks 90% of air, but at least getting some air. I think this is the best set of covers I have found so far.

https://magneshade.com/product/class-c-shade-set/
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Only one color, according to that website. Dark would not work for us in the south. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I've been very pleased with our Heatshield internal covers. We've abused them for years now, and they have stood up very well. I also have a reflective external cover for the windshield and side windows, but I rarely add it.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
I use a white canvas cover on the outside when camping. I use reflective and sort-of-quilted interior covers made by Outside Vans when my Interstate is in storage.

In hot weather I use both. In very cold (sub-freezing) weather I've started using the Outside Van covers reversed, with the reflective side facing inward and the dark side facing outward. It seemed to help.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I use a white canvas cover on the outside when camping. I use reflective and sort-of-quilted interior covers made by Outside Vans when my Interstate is in storage.

In hot weather I use both. In very cold (sub-freezing) weather I've started using the Outside Van covers reversed, with the reflective side facing inward and the dark side facing outward. It seemed to help.
Where did you get your white canvas cover? We just need something that is easy to deploy to give us privacy at a campsite. Storage is inside but you seem to use the OSV covers while camping, is that correct?

As to OSV do they just sell the cover? Its website appears to be just a conversion van firm.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
Where did you get your white canvas cover?
Eurocampers. (http://www.eurocampers.com/Deluxe-Wi...er_p_2170.html). I got the one with the screened sides so that in good weather I can open the windows and uncover the screens, for bugproof— and now that I have a cat, cat-escape-proof— ventilation.
Quote:
As to OSV do they just sell the cover?
https://www.outsidevan.com/option/osv-sun-shades/