Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Window shades/covers

I'm hoping someone has a great solution to our problem. We use those aluminum looking shades for our driver and passenger windows when we're parked for the night. We roll them up and store them during the day. Our problem is that they are not completely staying in the window. Does anyone have a solution? Either a better/different shade altogether or some clever way to keep the shade in the window? Thanks in advance.

Vince and Laura
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I'm sure there are other ideas coming, but here is ours. Stop by one of the sewing stores and get the 3/4" or 1" square 'hook and loop' (Velcro) stick ons. Put the hooks on the along window frame at the top edge and match the loops on the top edge of the shade. We have smaller windows so three across the top work well. If you put them on the glass/plastic, the sun will cause the glue to release when it gets hot.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The ones that I use (from Outside Vans) require that you lower the window slightly, and flip 2" long cloth tabs over the edge of the window, and then raise the window to grip the tabs between the window and the frame. They hold very securely.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
I'm hoping someone has a great solution to our problem. We use those aluminum looking shades for our driver and passenger windows when we're parked for the night. We roll them up and store them during the day. Our problem is that they are not completely staying in the window. Does anyone have a solution? Either a better/different shade altogether or some clever way to keep the shade in the window? Thanks in advance.

Vince and Laura

It looks like you have a 2013 Interstate and those came with some quirky cloth curtains for the cab. So what you have now must have been substituted. I use folding shades from OutsideVan which have a silver reflective surface on one side and help to keep out the heat in the cab area. A little tricky to put up each time but they are very effective.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Yikes. The website for Outside Van says their parts are only available as part of a full van conversion. We don't need that just yet!!
Old 08-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Yikes. The website for Outside Van says their parts are only available as part of a full van conversion. We don't need that just yet!!
I didn't get mine as part of a full conversion. I got just the window shades by themselves.

But that was about three years ago… Now when I go to Outside Van's "Outside Parts" page where I ordered mine in July 2013, I get a "Page not found" error. Guess they don't sell just the shades anymore.

But adding cloth tabs to whatever shades you're already using might be an answer to your problem, and cheaper, too.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The ones that I use (from Outside Vans) require that you lower the window slightly, and flip 2" long cloth tabs over the edge of the window, and then raise the window to grip the tabs between the window and the frame. They hold very securely.
IMHO those straps are a PITA to hold the curtains in. I added a U shaped plastic clip on the strap that fits over the glass to hold them while you rolled the window up. I made side window (with suction cups) and windshield curtains from Reflectix but have yet to try them out . I think they will be easier to put up and store than the bulky OEM curtains
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I got a pair of these and they work great..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/112062078636
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I made a set of covers for each window from Reflectix bound on the edges with black bias tape. The windshield cover is held in by the sun visors. All other covers where made slightly over sized so they are sort of wedged in place. I added magnets to the front cab side window covers to hold them in place better.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I had these.

Sides use suction cups and W/S uses the sun visors to retain it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I made a set of covers for each window from Reflectix bound on the edges with black bias tape. The windshield cover is held in by the sun visors. All other covers where made slightly over sized so they are sort of wedged in place. I added magnets to the front cab side window covers to hold them in place better.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Mike, I'm not that talented. Will you please make me a set??? Just kidding, but I know I would mess up anything I tried to do myself!!!
Old 08-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #12

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Granbury , Texas
Our 2015 Grand Tour Ext windshield stock screen is pretty easy to put up, held in place with visors as well as the glove box built into the dashboard. The side window screens are a little more tedious to put up because the straps are not heavy enough to hold the screen in place until the window is rolled up. Also hard to position just right to prevent peeking gaps. I like the magnet idea, and the reflectix idea too, as the heat of Texas would melt the nose cone of a space capsule, and the stock screens just don't seem to block much heat.
Deecee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #13
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Window shades/covers

+1 reflex
Added to side windows using Velcro + cutouts for lounge Windows behind shades.

My black van is no longer a sauna when 98 degrees outside now!

Was an oven inside before the reflex addition now seems about same or maybe cooler than outside.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote