Old 12-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Window Leak

CR Laurence Sprinter Van drivers side front T-Vent Window is leaking when driving in (hard) rain.

What we have is the bulb- or “D” seal (as CRL calls it) shows some excessive compression on the lower front side, letting in water.

The seal to me looks like thin rubber tubing, glued around the frame, perhaps a piece 5’ to 6’ long.

Since it is a CRL product (1 year warranty) it is not covered by AS the dealer told me. After two month he has not received the material from CRL. In reality it wouldn’t take me 20 minutes to remove the old one, use glue remover for cleaning and glue a new one in. In addition, I would likely replace each and every one of those seals that show areas of compression from the original diameter.

Material acquisition presents an interesting challenge; CRL does not ship directly. You have to go through one of their dealers. After calling three times, they have no idea what I am talking about, the seal is not listed in their catalog.

I did get the correct part number from CRL, passed it on to the store. Now for a 12ft piece, the charge is around $78 (material+handling+shipping) that times 4 windows (total of 7 vents)

Well, I figure 50 cents a foot or a dollar at the most would be more like it. Indeed, I did find what I think would be a suitable replacement material made by Trim-Lok: Foam Rubber Seal w/Adhesive Back, Style D-Shaped, Material EPDM Closed Cell Sponge, Overall Height .312 In., Overall Width .468 In. That is a 25’ roll for something over $17.- incl. shipping, sounds more like it.

My question, has anyone had occasion the replace one of those window seals?

If so, was OEM material used or a replacement?

Old 12-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
I had my curbside CFL window reinstalled twice because it leaked. Once at the dealer and a second time at the factory. The first time when they made the unit at the factory, AS installed it incorrectly, and then compounded the problem by sending the wrong gasket that the dealer used to reinstall it again and it continued to leak. The second time they replaced the gasket with one that fit. The AS intaller wondered out loud to himself why the dealer used the wrong gasket not knowing it was Airstream who sent the wrong gasket to the dealer to begin with.

The problem more than likely, given the age of the unit, is an installation issue, not a product issue. Installation issues are on Airstream. If you dealer is trying to put blame on the product, he's just shirking his responsibility. Contact AS directly and complain. You should not have to pay to fix it.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bennington , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I had my curbside CFL window reinstalled twice because it leaked. Once at the dealer and a second time at the factory. The first time when they made the unit at the factory, AS installed it incorrectly, and then compounded the problem by sending the wrong gasket that the dealer used to reinstall it again and it continued to leak. The second time they replaced the gasket with one that fit. The AS intaller wondered out loud to himself why the dealer used the wrong gasket not knowing it was Airstream who sent the wrong gasket to the dealer to begin with.

The problem more than likely, given the age of the unit, is an installation issue, not a product issue. Installation issues are on Airstream. If you dealer is trying to put blame on the product, he's just shirking his responsibility. Contact AS directly and complain. You should not have to pay to fix it.

Well, it is not the "installation" seal between the van body and the window itself. It is the seal that seals the (two per) small vent window when it is closed. You can see that the tubing gasquet is compressed in some spots. So this is a part of the complete window, that is why AS is rejecting warranty.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Hmmm. That's a new one. Never heard of that issue before.