Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #1

Tampa , Florida
Will the bed work for me?

Greetings all:
New on this forum since I'm looking for information and think the Interstate EXT in the 4 seat version may be the right choice for me. One big concern is the bed. At 6'2" and 300lbs, I wonder if there is room and comfort. I laid down in one and it seemed okay. I am also wondering about what type of bedding folks use. I have a 35' Winnebago but our family is growing up and moving on to college so this is the time for a change. I like the quality over Winnebago. I am not mechanically inclined so reliability and good service is an issue. Any thoughts from folks with experience are appreciated as I make this decision. I have picked up lots of information from what I've read here so far. Thanks.
---Dave in Tampa

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums! Glad to have you with us!

I'm about 5'11" (though my hair is only 5'9") and tip the scales around 235 right now, heavier than I would like. I sleep with my head toward the rear doors and my feet forward, and the bed fits me just fine. It's a bit of a minor hassle getting out of bed in the morning because I have to get out at the foot of the bed, in the narrow gap between the wardrobe closet and the bathroom, but I can live with that.

The bed is more comfortable if you push the seatbelts down out of the way, and cover the bed with a mattress pad to bridge across the gaps between cushions, but I used it without the mattress pad for over a year with no problems.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The bed is more comfortable than a sofa bed. We use a pad also and push the seatbelts out of the way also. Other than that we just use standard bedding.

Hope you can get one close by from an RV qualified dealer as there seem to be a lot of minor things that crop up on the Airstream part of these. The Sprinter portion seems pretty bullet-proof so far. I'm at 14K so far.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I am 6'2" and 274# and I have no comfort problems with my 2013 Lounge unit. The only bedding I have used is a VERY light weight sleeping bag in freezing weather.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
The bed is fine. I used when I was 308 lbs and I am 6'1". Just don't sit on the ridge next to the small seat. This is where the couch push against it if it is lowered. There is no cushioning on and it is only about 1/2" wide. It is on the hard side but no uncomfortable.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
I use a memory queen foam topper I bought at Costco. The stock bed is not horrible, but with the memory foam it's down right comfy. Several people have said its more comfortable then their own beds.

I'm 6'2 and 185. My wife and I have spent many restful nights with this arrangement.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
I use a memory queen foam topper I bought at Costco. The stock bed is not horrible, but with the memory foam it's down right comfy. Several people have said its more comfortable then their own beds.

I'm 6'2 and 185. My wife and I have spent many restful nights with this arrangement.
We have the same topper from Costco and we like it as much as our Sleep Number bed at home.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Two of us sleep in our queen-size bed, and find it very comfortable.

Our current bedding is a plush, cushiony mattress pad (straps removed) and a 3-season down comforter with washable cover. The best system we have discovered in 6+ years.

Easy, comfy, washable, and not too many bits to shift around in the night. There really is nothing ready made to fit a bed where nothing can be tucked, and we are not interested in sleeping bags.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
We have the same topper from Costco and we like it as much as our Sleep Number bed at home.
Do you use a cover for the pad? I've found ours is starting to get cracks from being put in/out so much. Too much over bending of the pad. The sheet they give you is only a top sheet. I'm trying to find something I could but the pad completely inside. Kind of like a giant pillowcase.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Do you use a cover for the pad? I've found ours is starting to get cracks from being put in/out so much. Too much over bending of the pad. The sheet they give you is only a top sheet. I'm trying to find something I could but the pad completely inside. Kind of like a giant pillowcase.
I've just started using Sheex Nautical Sheets
SHEEX Performance Sheets®
The nautical sheets are more expensive than their regular sheets, but use a drawstring rather than elastic for the fitted bottom sheet, which makes it easier to fit to a thin topper.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Yes we have a full zippered cover. I had to look for awhile to finally find one reasonably priced on eBay. Here is link to the one I bought and we are very satisfied with it:
3" Queen Antimicrobial Zippered Topper Cover | eBay

If this link doesn't work just search for 3" QUEEN ANTIMICROBIAL ZIPPERED TOPPER COVER on eBay.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yes we have a full zippered cover. I had to look for awhile to finally find one reasonably priced on eBay. Here is link to the one I bought and we are very satisfied with it: 3" Queen Antimicrobial Zippered Topper Cover | eBay If this link doesn't work just search for 3" QUEEN ANTIMICROBIAL ZIPPERED TOPPER COVER on eBay.
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered one. Protagonist, that sheet set also looks great, but I want something that completely surrounds and protects the foam on both sides.