Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Wow... I just needed an RJ45 to WiFi adapter to connect to our signal at home... what are you all talking about??!! LOL
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Thanks Gary.

-----------------------snip--------------
At the time, AT&T was only interested in selling ANOTHER device and charge ANOTHER fee. Curious if that's now changed.....
I seriously doubt AT&T's business model has changed any...

That's why their logo is STILL referred to as the "Deathstar", as in death of your wallet...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Wow... I just needed an RJ45 to WiFi adapter to connect to our signal at home... what are you all talking about??!! LOL

That works great.....as long as you never leave your driveway!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
FlyFishinRVr:

To specifically answer your question. What I bought was a data only plan for my HotSpot. The HotSpot was 1 cent. Yes I had to add the data only hotspot to my account.
Thanks Gary.

That's interesting. I'm actually saving $40/month by switching to Verizon, and that includes the monthly cost of a brand new iPhoneX! I think you're the first person I've heard of where an apples-to-apples comparison between AT&T and Verizon has AT&T coming in at a lower total cost. As rmkrum said, AT&T's business model seems to be "death to your wallet"......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
WiFi??

I have used my appletv when boondocking with no cell coverage. I linked it to a hotspot and also attached my iPhone to it. I was pleasantly surprised that I could mirror and play per recorded movies from the phone to my TV.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
AT&T vs. Verizon

You are right, I compared on paper my needs and both companies products and plans. In my family we have 4 iPhones; 1 iPad with data and 1 Mobile Wifi unit. Before one can switch, you have to look at where each of your current devices are from a "Monthly Lease Stand Point". You have to look at what the equipment deal for the day is based on your life style and needs.

Then I went into Verizon first. I attempted to just get a data plan for a wifi device. The price was way to high. I looked at one new phone and a wifi device. Still very high considering. Then all my lines and phones, ridiculously high. On to specials. I gave up.

I then went to my AT&T store when I have service now. I did the same experiment. It took a while because all carriers have a crazy way of explaining their programs.
End up I got a new iPhone for my son, a new iPad with data for my wife and a mobile hotspot that captured the data signal better then any phone. The entire monthly bill was slightly higher then my past month. However I also got unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited plan to plan calls. What I lost was my ability to use any of the phones as a hotspot. I could have gotten that but the price went way up. So my mobile hotspot handles 8 devises.

To clarify another point, when I am in a RV park with WiFi, I use the parks WiFi with my Apple TV unless it is usually awful which it is. I don't care where the signal comes from, I just need it strong enough to work.

Hope that helps.

Gary T.
Quote:
Thanks Gary.

That's interesting. I'm actually saving $40/month by switching to Verizon, and that includes the monthly cost of a brand new iPhoneX! I think you're the first person I've heard of where an apples-to-apples comparison between AT&T and Verizon has AT&T coming in at a lower total cost. As rmkrum said, AT&T's business model seems to be "death to your wallet"......

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #27
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
Sounds to me like you could benefit from a look at the Mobile Internet Resource Center. There is a book with oodles of info written so I could understand, lots of videos, equipment testing and online education. You can also find on Youtube. Search for Technomadia.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #28

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Route...%2Brouter&th=1

$25

If you're a geek like me, opt for the open source version with DDWRT for $45.
Went ahead and ordered this today... for the price

I was tempted to just get the WiFi Ranger SkyPro Pack from WiFiRanger but we just do not need to make that expense for now... when we retire and start hitting the road more often we will look at what is available then...

Thank you all!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #29

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

AppleTV worked like a charm!

Connected to one of the HDMI input ports in the HDMI switch and done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	306064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	306065  

WBCCI #26769
Old 08-13-2018, 02:43 AM   #30

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Correct.

The easy solution is to install a WiFi router w/ switch. Plug a switch port into the BlueRay player and either "borrow" local WiFi or set up a hotspot with your cell phone. Done.

I won't go into the sensitive topic of "should we have to do this"......
How do I remove the blue ray player to access the hdmi cable to the tv's?
LarryMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMark View Post
How do I remove the blue ray player to access the hdmi cable to the tv's?
You just unscrew the wooden box holding the blue ray player and the whole thing comes out. I just got rid of the Blueray player which frees up quite a bit of that cabinet. If you wanted to keep it, though, you would add a hdmi switcher to the hdmi feed coming into the 2way hdmi splitter from the Blueray player. We never watch TV in the bedroom so I removed the splitter (and that TV) as well but that’s just us.

We feed the HDMI with either an iPhone (with downloaded content) or occasionally an Apple TV when we have a good enough signal to stream. With the iPhone I use the official lightning to HDMI dongle. Beware of 3rd party dongles, many have reported them not working on all content.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:06 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Chromecast & Airstream Connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Our 2018 are not WiFi enabled for the blue ray player that comes with it??? Only network option that I see in the menu is wired network.

?????

Can someone confirm before I go but looking for the way to make it work.
I recently had JC install an Airstream Connected in my 2018 Flying Cloud. Yesterday I went to try and set up the Google Chromecast to the AS Connected WiFi but I was not able to make the connection. Any idea what may be causing the issue? Also, I have a 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV would I be any better off trying to use that instead? Thanks.
#4636 FL/NC
South Florida Airstream Club #30
time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote